Demo of The Evil Within

(Discuss the game)

Re: Demo of The Evil Within

Postby SweetPoison13 » Aug 30, 2014 12:40 am

dan76 wrote:Thanks again for the impressions. I've got to say it sound similar to RE6 minus the diving about... which isn't so great. The Last of Us seems to be a middle ground where pulling back on the left stick makes Joel step backwards, but the camera is completely free. All this is good to know going into the game (so I'm not throwing the controller down in anger).

... Maybe I should be a bit more adaptable...

No problem. I’m not too worried about the controls in The Evil Within. Unless there have been some massive changes to them over the past few months, there doesn’t seem to be a steep learning curve here or any kind of frustratingly foolish gameplay mechanics. I'm happy with that even if a few things change here and there. The struggles in this video game seem to come more from the enemies, the environments, and the careful management of resources (e.g., ammunition, matches, and health items) than from the controls.

Unfortunately (fortunately?), I haven’t played Resident Evil 6. I didn’t like the direction this series was heading in so I didn’t support this product. I suppose I could play it one of these days just to see what it is like but it doesn’t strike me as a video game that I would enjoy very much. From a gameplay perspective, The Evil Within doesn’t remind me of very many other video games. The fluidity of the controls reminds me of the fluidity of the controls in The Order: 1886 (another demo that I played at E3 2014) but that comparison doesn’t help very many people. I like to draw some comparisons between The Last of Us and The Evil Within because many people have played the former (and recently) but I personally don’t feel these video games have too much in common.

I think The Evil Within has more in common with The Last of Us than with Resident Evil 4 when it comes to things like camera movements and character controls. A lot of people seem to want The Evil Within to be the Resident Evil 4 that they know and love (or to closely resemble it in some fashion) but that really isn't the case here. I agree with many of the things that Dusk Golem said in another post about The Evil Within having very different controls and a much more unsettling and tense atmosphere. I hope more people prepare for this.
Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison
SweetPoison13
Evil Takes Hold

Favorite Title: Silent Hill 2
PSN: SweetPoison13
XBL: SweetPoison13

Postby yourfrag » Sep 22, 2014 1:38 pm

Heya, if I may bother you with boring question, i would be happy to know that, on what platform you played if you know, if ps4 has a stable frame rate without drops
yourfrag

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: heragodx

Postby SweetPoison13 » Sep 22, 2014 4:55 pm

yourfrag wrote:Heya, if I may bother you with boring question, i would be happy to know that, on what platform you played if you know, if ps4 has a stable frame rate without drops

I didn't notice any screen-tearing, anti-aliasing, frame rate drops, or visual abnormalities.

I won't be able to look at this again until October 14 but I generally think the PlayStation 4 version of The Evil Within looks fantastic. It seems to run fine at 30 fps for anyone who might be worried about this.
Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison
SweetPoison13
Evil Takes Hold

Favorite Title: Silent Hill 2
PSN: SweetPoison13
XBL: SweetPoison13

Previous

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak