Misplaced Expectations

(Discuss the game)

Misplaced Expectations

Postby Yama » Aug 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Over the past couple of years I've seen many reactions in regards to Psycho Break and they've hit all ends of the spectrum. I think a lot of this stems from misplaced expectations and the term survival horror in general. When it comes to any form of entertainment, fans are passionate and most of all vocal, this goes without saying. In addition to being fans, we're also consumers, so it's fair game. However as of late I've noticed this sense of entitlement in a way I haven't in prior years and along with it comes an invisible set of rules. It's literally impossible to please all ends, nor is that really the job of a Director, instead it's to portray their vision in a form of art regardless of the medium.

When it comes to Psycho Break, we literally have the father of Survival Horror directing, Mikami-san himself. It was touted as being a true and classic Survival Horror experience from the beginning, but almost immediately this created an unwinnable battle. There is no tried and true formula to any one genre, there are different notes one can skip or hit to achieve the same end result in a different manner. Mikami-san himself rebooted his own genre, so could one even call his own title a clone of something older, or a literal advancement thereof?

Is conserving to survive the only way to create tension, or is it just frustrating item management? Does it create more or less tension than battling two Garradors at once in a narrow hallway? Does atmospheric tension engage the player more so than the prior? Perhaps a natural evolution of these elements, presented consistently, could eclipse the tense situations and atmosphere we once found terrifying. Perhaps, just perhaps, we should enjoy the art found within this medium with a fresh set of eyes and stop cross referencing every design decision. Allow a good game to be good and support it for that, only then will we see more unique endeavors.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Re: Misplaced Expectations

Postby Morir es vivir » Aug 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Amen
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 24, 2014 1:58 pm

You hit the nail right on the head, Yama.

But not just that, a lot of people are actually hoping this would be a spiritual successor to RE4, which means the fans are split between those who hope it will turn out like REMake, and those who hope for another RE4. It will undoubtedly be a polarizing title.

... One of them is going to be disappointed, which is a shame. I'm probably one of the few who treat TEW as a new IP, it's own thing. Instead of a spiritual successor, I don't really mind if it turns out similar to either. But from the looks of it, it's hitting a spot between RE4 and REmake. A bit closer to RE4 maybe, while also taking a lot of cues and inspirations from other horror games, and some ideas of it's own... And that's pretty good for me.
Rikitatsu

Postby LeonEvil666 » Aug 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:You hit the nail right on the head, Yama.

But not just that, a lot of people are actually hoping this would be a spiritual successor to RE4, which means the fans are split between those who hope it will turn out like REMake, and those who hope for another RE4. It will undoubtedly be a polarizing title.

... One of them is going to be disappointed, which is a shame. I'm probably one of the few who treat TEW as a new IP, it's own thing. Instead of a spiritual successor, I don't really mind if it turns out similar to either. But from the looks of it, it's hitting a spot between RE4 and REmake. A bit closer to RE4 maybe, while also taking a lot of cues and inspirations from other horror games, and some ideas of it's own... And that's pretty good for me.

I take The Evil Within as a New IP, i don`t think of it like Resident Evil. I love what i have seen about The Evil Within, and I hope the time will go fast till October 17th
LeonEvil666

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: LeonEvil666

Postby Nemesis85 » Aug 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Well, I am not gonna expect that TEW will be another RE, But in my mind, RE is like the seed of a big and growing tree, the tree of horror survival, which one of its biggest branch is going to be TEW. Besides , Shinji Mikami has mentioned several times that this game is very different than RE.
Nemesis85

Postby DampRevil » Aug 27, 2014 5:37 pm

I hope nobody thinks of The Evil Within as a clone of Resident Evil or Silent Hill. The Evil Within is its own IP and should be treated that way. Bethesda isn't helping either. Almost every interview I've read, Resident Evil or Resident Evil 4 is mentioned somewhere. Even the official website advertises Resident Evil 4 right on the homepage. The Evil Within is being treated like a successor to Resident Evil 4 because the developers and publishers are advertising it as such.

I've said this from the beginning, Resident Evil will be the downfall of The Evil Within. Just because Shinji Mikami is developing the game, people have already built expectations that may not be met. And when those expectations aren't met, people will ostracize The Evil Within. Until gamers learn to separate The Evil Within from Resident Evil, there will be people who will belittle it.
DampRevil

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DampRevil

Postby SweetPoison13 » Aug 28, 2014 3:29 am

I think tension can be found in many different video games and in many different genres. I love it when the survival horror video games that I play are tense, suspenseful, frightening, thrilling, unsettling, and disturbing (especially from a psychological perspective). I also realize that not all tense video games are survival horror video games. Some simply give players exciting, thrilling, or exhilarating experiences. There might be ways to do this without actually playing on someone’s fears. We have the horror and thriller film genres offering viewers complete different experiences at times for instance but the situation is a bit different for survival horror video games. People seem to be overly eager to slap the survival horror label onto video games in this day and age that might not actually have any horror elements in them. A bunch of this is probably subjective too.

Perhaps the survival horror genre went in the action and shooter directions that it did last generation because people thought that making a tense video game was enough to warrant the survival horror label. What we have right now are people with different definitions of this genre and the situation is honestly a bit of a mess. Some people will go into The Evil Within expecting something like Outlast (running) and others will go into it expecting something like Dead Space (shooting). Both groups will probably be (severely?) disappointed.

My expectations for The Evil Within are based on what I have seen from it and what I have personally experienced so far. I was able to play a demo for this video game at E3 2014 and that certainly helps but even before this I was expecting a relatively dark, bloody, disturbing, and unsettling experience.

The Evil Within doesn’t really remind me of one video game in particular. I see elements from different video games all over the place in The Evil Within so I’m really hoping that people aren’t just expecting it to be a newer version of Resident Evil 4 or the Resident Evil Remake. It really is its own thing from what I can tell even with all of its potential inspirations. I think there are far too many bizarre and overly psychological elements in The Evil Within for it to be so closely associated with the Resident Evil series at this point in time.

In my honest opinion, those who are looking for another Resident Evil video game here will either be pleasantly surprised to find that it is much more than what they were expecting or incredibly letdown that it doesn’t live up to their personal survival horror expectations for some kind of long-awaited Resident Evil successor.
Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison
SweetPoison13
Evil Takes Hold

Favorite Title: Silent Hill 2
PSN: SweetPoison13
XBL: SweetPoison13

Postby DeHeerser » Sep 09, 2014 4:50 pm

DampRevil wrote:I've said this from the beginning, Resident Evil will be the downfall of The Evil Within.

If that is so, The Evil Within may just be the salvation of the Resident Evil. With other words, to demonstrate that it is possible to build a quality game without taking RE further down the path of COD-Hollywood.

Having that said, let's not make, as some reviewers do, RE4 the end-all survival horror. It too has corny Hollywood action hero oneliners (Saddler says "the American hero prevailing is a thing that only happens in your Hollywood movies" - only to do the biggest cliché thing ever a second later). Ashley is downright annoying, other than the peasant village there is no backtracking and most importantly - where are the zombies? What made RE4 revolutionary is also the controls which allowed for a very fluent experience, which is what people got used to by the time of RE5. If this type of controls had existed at the time of REmake, it would have been significantly easier and perhaps as a result less scary (for instance it was a chance situation to make a headshot on a zombie).

I disgree with the O.P. that a perfect semblance of different survival horror elements (the psychological dishevelling of SH and its nasty environments, the feelings of mystery and desolation in REmake, RE3's panic of being relentlessly hunted and the adrenaline flow of RE4) could produce an eclipse that would block the essence of the freightening. On the contrary, I image a perfect synthesis of all this as follows: Zombies need to be burned or may get back up (as crimson heads...), so even if you go through the rooms gathering items and resting in shelter you still don't feel safe. There is ammo but less of it, you can do spectacular melee attacks if you daze an enemy with a well placed shot. You feel powerful at times, but vulnerable mostly. Puzzles test your wits and environments can morph to play with your mind . . . Even the mindgames of Eternal Darkness may make their appearance. Heck, all this actually does sound much like The Evil Within so far (going by a Youtube video of a guy - not the annoying guy mind you - spending 60 minutes playing The Cruellest Intentions).
DeHeerser

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DeHeerser

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak