Black crush/brightness setting

(Discuss the game)

Black crush/brightness setting

Postby Rousseau » Oct 27, 2016 9:49 am

I'm having a hard time working out what the brightness setting for this game on PS4 should be.
If I set the brightness slider to the correct level, where the left mark is invisible, the centre mark barely visible and the right mark visible, then I get crushed blacks in the game. For example, in the first chapter, the different colours on Seb's hair textures aren't visible and instead it appears solid black. I have to set the brightness slider to 90ish before all details are visible, however this seems to give the game a slightly washed out look and detracts from the atmosphere.
These screenshots show what I mean (I didn't capture them): http://imgur.com/a/XL1B2#0.
My TV's calibrated properly, so that's not the source of the issue.
Is a certain amount of black crush just part of the look of the game?
Rousseau

Re: Black crush/brightness setting

Postby berto » Oct 28, 2016 12:47 am

You're right, that's a pretty big contrast.

I honestly never listen to the game's lighting suggestion. Glares, reflections and all those other things make it difficult to stick to it. Still, I think you should just go with whatever you feel is the best way to play the game. I don't play around with my settings that much, though I'm told I should.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Re: Black crush/brightness setting

Postby Rousseau » Oct 31, 2016 4:14 am

berto wrote:I think you should just go with whatever you feel is the best way to play the game.

Yeah, I know you're right but I can't help obsessing about seeing it as "the creator intended". Maybe I'd enjoy it more if I didn't :lol: .

After a bit more research, it seems that the black crush is a filter that is turned on in certain scenes, the same as the other post-processing filters (e.g. red, b+w etc). You can turn the filters off in the PC version by using a console command. Here's a before and after comparison gallery.

I think the filters give the game a huge amount of its atmosphere, so I'm going to leave them on.
Rousseau

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak