What changes would you like to see in The Evil Within 2?

(Discuss the game)

What changes would you like to see in The Evil Within 2?

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 26, 2017 10:24 pm

The Evil Within 2 is pretty much confirmed and will likely be announced within the next 3 months, what would you like to see changed/improved in the sequel over the first game?

For me:

-No more black bars, less claustrophobic FOV.
-Better animations, less 'jank'
-More consistent level design in terms of quality, but still varied thematically
-No more 'forced walk' segments
-Harder, more frequent puzzles
-Better Aim camera
Rikitatsu

Re: What changes would you like to see in The Evil Within 2?

Postby ghostcall » Mar 27, 2017 1:36 am

agreed with everything you said.

also more variety of enemies.
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Autoignition » Mar 27, 2017 2:39 am

MELEE COMBAT.

It doesn't have to be super OP melee combat like Uncharted/TLoU where you can seriously get through 80% of the game without guns at all because Nate/Joel hits like a fucking truck, but Jesus Christ having NO options when you're out of ammo is insanity. RE4 did this really well, so there's no reason Mikami can't just bring it back.

I would also very much appreciate a dodge button. I didn't realize how badly I wanted one until I went back and replayed Alan Wake and then tried to go back to TEW again. (And Alan Wake is labeled on the cover as "A psychological action thriller" which sounds perfect for TEW2.)

Also a higher gameplay emphasis on the idea of an abstract reality. Hallucinations and shit, especially in terms of traps. Not knowing if a trap is really there, not knowing if an enemy is really there. There were moments like this in the first game, particularly the start of chapter 5 when you're going down that first hall with the invisible Haunted at the end, but there weren't nearly enough moments like that. The parts with the safe area freaking out were excellent, too. Moar of that please.

And maybe fixed camera angles... but that's more of wishful thinking and not something I realistically hope for or expect to see. TEW environments were fucking gorgeous, and a lot of areas in that game would've really shined with fixed camera angles. Maybe not for the full game, but stuff like the Victoriano mansion and Beacon hallways.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 27, 2017 8:17 am

Autoignition wrote:MELEE COMBAT.

It doesn't have to be super OP melee combat like Uncharted/TLoU where you can seriously get through 80% of the game without guns at all because Nate/Joel hits like a fucking truck, but Jesus Christ having NO options when you're out of ammo is insanity. RE4 did this really well, so there's no reason Mikami can't just bring it back.

To be fair, melee was respectable when you upgraded it enough. That said, it always looked silly when Sebastian punches someone and his head explodes outta nowhere! Or he destroys massive crates with his fists... Maybe they should give him a mainstay weapon like the knife in RE games... Except this would be an axe or machete.

I always thought it was weird that Sebastian had a knife and didn't use it in melee.
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Mar 27, 2017 11:32 am

Rikitatsu wrote:To be fair, melee was respectable when you upgraded it enough. That said, it always looked silly when Sebastian punches someone and his head explodes outta nowhere! Or he destroys massive crates with his fists... Maybe they should give him a mainstay weapon like the knife in RE games... Except this would be an axe or machete.

I always thought it was weird that Sebastian had a knife and didn't use it in melee.

My beef with that is that, on a maiden playthrough, you have so many other things that you'd logically want to upgrade that melee takes a huge backseat -- which sucks, because a maiden playthrough is probably when you're going to need melee the most, since you're much more likely to blow through ammo while you're still learning the game and how the enemy encounters are designed. Viable melee combat shouldn't be a NG+ feature, IMO.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Nemesis85 » Mar 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:The Evil Within 2 is pretty much confirmed and will likely be announced within the next 3 months, what would you like to see changed/improved in the sequel over the first game?

For me:

-No more black bars, less claustrophobic FOV.
-Better animations, less 'jank'
-More consistent level design in terms of quality, but still varied thematically
-No more 'forced walk' segments
-Harder, more frequent puzzles
-Better Aim camera

Maybe a more cohesive and less psychological plot.
Nemesis85

Postby Rousseau » Mar 28, 2017 9:09 am

To be fair, the clue was in the (japanese) title. I'd expect a game called Psycho Break to have a psychological plot! I loved the plot, but it seems that a lot of people didn't. I'll be really disappointed if it's too straightforward with no digging into the lore required. I do think that they could do better with the character writing though - e.g. Kidman's DLC characterization was a lot better than her presentation in the main game.
Rousseau

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak