Plot Analysis of the TEW2 reveal

(Discuss the game)

Plot Analysis of the TEW2 reveal

Postby Autoignition » Jun 13, 2017 8:36 am

Hello EW.net fam. We're going to do something a little bit different today. Not to take away from Dusk Golem's frame-by-frame analysis, we're going to start connecting things seen in the TEW2 reveal trailers to things we already know about the plot from the first game and see what comes of it.

This first post is just going to be a bunch of preliminary observations I've made. I'm working daily with my crack team of meta heavy-hitters to bring you all something a little bit more in-depth, but here are the things that have been chewing at me for the last 30 hours.

1. The bandage on Sebastian's right hand.

There's never a point in the trailer in which Sebastian's right hand isn't covered up. The knuckles are bloody, but the way that the bandages are wrapped don't seem to indicate that they're covering a grievous injury on Sebastian's part. They also don't go far enough down on his wrist to denote him wrapping his hands before a fight like a boxer. Ergo, the blood on the knuckles may just be incidental. The bandages weren't put on with the intention to fight, but we know that Sebastian's been fighting regardless. So, if their purpose isn't to cover a wound and it's not to brace his knuckles and wrists for a fight, what are they there for?

The trailer makes it a point to show us the palm of Kidman's left hand, nice and close.

If you'll remember, Kidman notices this mark at the end of The Consequence. Though it may be visually similar to the rail spike in Mobius's logo, it's important to keep in mind that this mark did not come from Mobius. Ruvik takes very explicit responsibility for it in arguably the most important memo in all of the DLCs.

Ruvik - Second Torn Letter - The Consequence wrote:This machine, this system… I was reborn inside and I will be reborn again. For every person STEM touches, a seed of myself will be within them. Piece by piece I will corrupt you, consume you.

I envision a world where a mere glance of the eye will allow me to spread onto the next. Just as you said, I am a ghost, but now I have a vessel in all of you

The man from Mobius… he entered here lusting for some sort of power long ago.

As for you… Kid… even if you happen to escape, I will leave my mark on you as I did to him.

It stands to reason that Sebastian would be marked in the same way. Now, it's important to note that he doesn't have this mark on him during the ending of his campaign in the first game -- however, this could just be a foible due to the main game and the DLCs having been written by different teams, or it could mean that the mark didn't show up immediately. We don't know how long it took for Kidman to receive the mark herself, but it's a pretty safe bet to assume that that's what Sebastian is hiding.

2. The implications of Laura inside STEM.
Springboarding off of the thoughts in #1, let me just say a thing: Ruvik may not be seen in these trailers, but Ruvik is very much in these trailers.

Ruvik - Torn Letter - The Assignment wrote:I sensed it the moment Marcelo triggered the machine.

He had removed my mind from the core. He thought he figured out how to get around me, but he is such a fool. The brain is nothing but matter. My consciousness is omnipresent.

I can see them all: their memories, their thoughts... their fears.

And by pulling in so many people, I can consume them all. From the weakest first, each mind gives me more power to conquer.

Where does my world end and reality begin? From now on, that line begins to blur.

Even when no one was at the core, Ruvik's will, his influence, and his manipulations were dominant. He says that his consciousness is omnipresent. Dusk Golem already pointed out that Laura's back with a makeover in STEM. Her original form can be very briefly seen in a few shots, but she's seemed to have evolved since the last time we met her.

Sebastian couldn't/wouldn't have created that illusion on his own. Laura's presence confirms Ruvik's presence, which means there is a huge chunk of the game's plot and even cast just straight-up missing from these trailers.

Think about it. Why on earth would Mobius extend a hand to Sebastian to enlist his help? They tried to kill him in the first game. But Sebastian is the only person that Mobius is aware of who is capable of not only surviving STEM, but of going toe-to-toe with Ruvik.

THEORY: Ruvik was able to pull that Stefano guy into STEM via "a mere glance of the eye," and Stefano has been terrorizing Lily's STEM ever since. This makes that system unsuitable for Mobius's use. They recruited Sebastian to get Stefano the hell out of there, Ruvik caught him meddling, and now Ruvik's trying to kill Sebastian all over again within the system. There's no better candidate for that job than Laura.

3. Sebastian's choice of weapons in TEW2 + A wild Connelly appears!
Sebastian uses two different handguns between the trailers. One is a semi-automatic and one is a revolver. Both of these guns were in the first game. And neither of these guns belonged to Sebastian.

In the gameplay trailer, Sebastian uses Joseph's M1911.

This may have some significance, considering that the particular model that Joseph uses is an officer-grade model. It must be his gun, because Sebastian no longer sports a badge. The implications of that make my heart break, because Sebastian likely still believes that Joseph's dead. If this is some way for him to keep his partner close to him, I'm going to fucking throw up and collapse in a puddle of my own tears and vomit. "I need my partner here."

HUGE ASSPULL THEORY: Joseph is absent from the trailers because there's a whole separate second plotline happening in the game. We know that the first game ends with Joseph in Mobius's custody. It doesn't make sense to kill him, because his raw skill as a detective and his sheer mettle as a survivor is undeniable. However, he's also a liability inside the STEM system, considering how often he succumbs. We're also missing a visual on Myra and Leslie as Ruvik in these trailers. While Kidman works with Sebastian to clear STEM from the inside, what if Myra and Joseph are trying to track down Ruvik/Leslie in the real world and kill him? Joseph would make a fantastic hit man.

In the reveal trailer, Sebastian uses Connelly's Smith & Wesson MP Revolver.

It's important to note that in the gameplay trailer, a monster can be seen dragging away half of what appears to be Connelly's corpse:

If remnants of Connelly exist still in STEM, does that mean other dead characters from the first game are still floating around?
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Re: Plot Analysis of the TEW2 reveal

Postby Rousseau » Jun 13, 2017 11:06 am

it's a pretty safe bet to assume that that's what Sebastian is hiding.

Agreed. What's also interesting is that he has the bandage in both the real world and STEM, implying that other people in the real world can see the Ruvik mark. Not sure what the implications of that are.
Rousseau

Postby Autoignition » Jun 13, 2017 11:16 am

"Where does my world end and reality begin? From now on, that line begins to blur."

;)
Autoignition

Postby gmc1992 » Jun 13, 2017 11:38 am

who do you think the black preacher is
gmc1992

Favorite Title: resident evil 4

Postby Autoignition » Jun 13, 2017 11:52 am

Leader of the Elk River cult, most likely.
Autoignition

Postby gmc1992 » Jun 13, 2017 12:16 pm

Autoignition wrote:Leader of the Elk River cult, most likely.

that was my thinking as well since the trailer shows the guy burning lily as it seems the cult abducted her, which makes me wonder how they're connected to mobius or are they one and the same
gmc1992

Favorite Title: resident evil 4

Postby Autoignition » Jun 13, 2017 12:45 pm

I think they're one and the same. Mobius operated out of the church until the floor collapsed and the entire building needed renovations, and then they moved over to Beacon for better facilities and easier test subjects.
Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 13, 2017 1:07 pm

FFS, leave Connelly alone! Dude can't catch a break. If we see Connelly, I'm pretty sure Jimenez will make an appearance... Not that I want to see his annoying mug.

Great read, but if Ruvik can inflict physical wounds on STEM participants (Like this mark), isn't this stepping into the supernatural realm a bit?
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Jun 13, 2017 1:09 pm

It depends on how he does it, of which we currently have no indication. I see it as one of two possibilities:

1. Ruvik says, "I have a vessel in all of you." He could temporarily jump into someone's body via their brainwaves because they're all still linked, and the wound could be self-inflicted.

2. The mark isn't actually there at all, and it's some bleeding effect shit. Only marked people can see other people's marks, but Sebastian doesn't realize this and covers it up because he's afraid of other people noticing. Either that, or he just doesn't want to look at it himself anymore, which is totally understandable.

I'm leaning on #2 as being the more likely of the two scenarios.
Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Autoignition wrote:It depends on how he does it, of which we currently have no indication. I see it as one of two possibilities:

1. Ruvik says, "I have a vessel in all of you." He could temporarily jump into someone's body via their brainwaves because they're all still linked, and the wound could be self-inflicted.

2. The mark isn't actually there at all, and it's some bleeding effect shit. Only marked people can see other people's marks, but Sebastian doesn't realize this and covers it up because he's afraid of other people noticing. Either that, or he just doesn't want to look at it himself anymore, which is totally understandable.

I'm leaning on #2 as being the more likely of the two scenarios.

Yep, 2 seems more convincing.

1# is kinda funny to imagine :lol:

Could also be some pseudo-science or actual science that explains how some physical changes like wounds can be inflicted mentally, but I wouldn't know as I'm science-illiterate.

I know sometimes I see wound-like marks on my body without being wounded. Not sure what's the cause though.
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak