Trying to make sense of TEW2's movement controls

(Discuss the game)

Trying to make sense of TEW2's movement controls

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Generally, there are 3 movement controls used in third person games:

1- Free Movement: The character moves in freely in any direction you press, and the camera can be moved freely by the other analogue stick. Example of games using this: Uncharted, GTA, MGS, and of course, The Evil Within 1.

2-Strafe Movement: These are essentially FPS controls/movement but viewed in third person, if you move the character backwards, he doesn't turn around and runs, but rather, runs backwards... Examples of games using this: The Last of Us, Gears of War.

3- Tank Controls: The character moves like a tank, you have to rotate your character and then press forward/backward to move around. Examples of games using this: Resident Evil (Classics), Shenmue

Now The Evil Within was #1 aka 'Free Movement', but if you crouch and move backwards, Sebastian takes a few steps back before turning around.

Anyway, the scenes in the gameplay snippets we've seen are confusing to say the least. Sebastian can be seen running freely like the first game, but also walking backwards. So it has a little bit of 2# 'Strafe Movement'.

I can see a few explainations:

A) Just like crouch in the first game, pressing backwards now doesn't make you turn around and run right away, Sebastian will take a few steps back before turning around.

Or

B) Lightly moving the analogue stick makes Sebastian walk backwards instead of turning around. But if you move the analogue all the way (aka Running) Sebastian will turn around and runs

Or

C) There is a button you press that activates a kind of strafe mode, this is highly unlikely though as it sounds unintuitive and pointless.

What do you guys think?
Rikitatsu

Re: Trying to make sense of TEW2's movement controls

Postby Autoignition » Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm

I think it's #1 again.

In TEW1, Sebastian would walk backwards if you had your gun aimed. You had to un-aim to get him to turn around. It looks like that's what's happening again. The part in the first gif with the boss-looking monster might be a scripted event.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Autoignition wrote:I think it's #1 again.

In TEW1, Sebastian would walk backwards if you had your gun aimed. You had to un-aim to get him to turn around. It looks like that's what's happening again. The part in the first gif with the boss-looking monster might be a scripted event.

Nah, definitely not.
I didn't gif the moment in the reveal trailer where he walks backwards with Reborn Laura infront of him. He didn't aim his gun then (He had his hand on his side, probably injured)

Also, you can see while he is shooting those jumping zombies he un-aims his gun between shots and walk backwards a bit.
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Jun 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Hmm. B on the second list might be likely, then. I know of a few games that do that and it's very slick and intuitive.

Here's hoping.
Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 15, 2017 1:39 pm

Autoignition wrote:Hmm. B on the second list might be likely, then. I know of a few games that do that and it's very slick and intuitive.

Here's hoping.

Can you name those games? I'd like to see some videos , I never played a game with such movement methods.
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm

iirc Resident Evil 4 does it. I'm not sure if it's just in certain versions of it, though.
Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Autoignition wrote:iirc Resident Evil 4 does it. I'm not sure if it's just in certain versions of it, though.

Resident Evil 4 uses Tank Controls, so I doubt it applies.

In any case, it depends on their implementation. At least animations this time around looks smooooth.

The first game? Goddamn...
Rikitatsu

Postby dan76 » Jun 15, 2017 2:09 pm

It could be that they've changed it to 2. The default camera allows you to walk backwards, but during boss fights or chase sequences it switches to always have the boss or enemy in view, so you can run away from it towards the camera EDIT: sometimes... I just re watched the first part of the top gif...

It sounds odd but this type of thing happens fairly often in games. It's in the first game a few times - running between the Keepers traps, towards the end trying to run past pools of blood - even though it uses camera type 1.

I hope they have changed it to 2 as I like that style of camera - it's basically a The Last of Us and it controls great. Type 1 always feels too loose and janky. However, if there are going to be parts of the game where you creep under trip wires or have to circle around enemies to stealth kill them I could see that being more difficult with type 2.
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Morir es vivir » Jun 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Hard to tell at this point, but i personally think walking backwards may just happen in certain situations, however, this situations might happen more often in this game.
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 16, 2017 2:05 pm

phpBB [video]

Here it looks very much like TLoU when Seb is walking near the stairs.
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak