Anyone Else Feeling A Little Disappointed With Juli's Role?

(Discuss the game)

Anyone Else Feeling A Little Disappointed With Juli's Role?

Postby DampRevil » Jun 16, 2017 9:25 pm

After watching the reveal trailer and reading/watching some interviews, it doesn't seem like Juli's going to be very involved with the story this time around. She acts as Sebastian's guide through STEM, basically sitting behind monitors and communicating with him through a radio.

I know we don't know much yet, and I'm aware it's Sebastian's story, but I really hope Juli isn't cast aside as a second rate character. She was so crucial in the first game and so involved in the world of STEM that it would be a wasted opportunity for her to not be involved in the action this time around.
DampRevil

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DampRevil

Re: Anyone Else Feeling A Little Disappointed With Juli's Ro

Postby Autoignition » Jun 17, 2017 3:07 am

Honestly, I feel like her role is more important and plot-relevant in TEW2 than it was in TEW1. In TEW1, her only role was to be sent on an impossible mission (which she failed anyway so it didn't matter) because Mobius didn't really care if she lived or died. That's... really it. In terms of overall importance, she didn't really have much. She was little more than a conduit through which world building and exposition could easily flow. If you took her out of the game entirely, not much would really change. Joseph suffered from the same problem.

In TEW2, her role seems to be a mix of Hunnigan in RE4 and Tatiana from the first game, with something a little bit extra and more personalized. She's a guide and a tie to the outside world, sure, but Johanas also said that she's the only person left that Sebastian can really trust -- which is really twisted, considering that the very last thing that he said to her in the first game was, "You killed Joseph and you shot me. So right at this moment, that's enough reason for me not to trust you." Considering the fact that this game leans heavily on the emotional parts of Sebastian's story, you'd have to be crazy to think that Juli isn't going to be a major player in how his catharsis plays out. As of right now, he has no idea that the two accusations he lobbed at her at the end of the first game are objectively untrue; she didn't kill Joseph, and she never shot Sebastian.

Whether or not a character is playable is not an indication of how crucial they are to the story.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Jun 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Autoignition wrote:Honestly, I feel like her role is more important and plot-relevant in TEW2 than it was in TEW1. In TEW1, her only role was to be sent on an impossible mission (which she failed anyway so it didn't matter) because Mobius didn't really care if she lived or died. That's... really it. In terms of overall importance, she didn't really have much. She was little more than a conduit through which world building and exposition could easily flow. If you took her out of the game entirely, not much would really change. Joseph suffered from the same problem.

In TEW2, her role seems to be a mix of Hunnigan in RE4 and Tatiana from the first game, with something a little bit extra and more personalized. She's a guide and a tie to the outside world, sure, but Johanas also said that she's the only person left that Sebastian can really trust -- which is really twisted, considering that the very last thing that he said to her in the first game was, "You killed Joseph and you shot me. So right at this moment, that's enough reason for me not to trust you." Considering the fact that this game leans heavily on the emotional parts of Sebastian's story, you'd have to be crazy to think that Juli isn't going to be a major player in how his catharsis plays out. As of right now, he has no idea that the two accusations he lobbed at her at the end of the first game are objectively untrue; she didn't kill Joseph, and she never shot Sebastian.

Whether or not a character is playable is not an indication of how crucial they are to the story.

I agree with you, her role seems more involved and important than it was in the original game. The thing is though we don't know what direction they're going with it also so I don't really know how one would be disappointed at this point fully as we don't really know her role at this point outside of what it begins with. She could be helping Sebastian or this could be for Mobius, we could play a segment with her or not, we don't really know right now.
Dusk Golem

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 17, 2017 5:44 pm

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed since she's just a voice on a radio now, though I have a feeling she will plug herself in STEM at some point in the game.

I just hope she won't be overly chatty... Nothing takes you our of immersion than someone relying tips on a radio. If she was like Hunnigan from RE4, that's fine.
Rikitatsu

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak