The Misunderstood and Underappreciated Gameplay of TEW

(Discuss the game)

Re: The Misunderstood and Underappreciated Gameplay of TEW

Postby DeHeerser » Oct 19, 2017 6:06 pm

As I stated before and as many stated in this thread: the gameplay was one of the strongest points of TEW1. The gameplay AND the atmosphere. Not the story. And even so the game still held back. It should have thrown even more enemies at the player, and even more gruesome, fear-inspiring, harrowing enemies too. In the higher difficulties they just gave the existing monsters the power to one-hit-KO you.

So I hoped that TEW2 would improve just that...

Instead TEW2 mainly improved story telling and gave the players a bit more freedom. But still did not take the full potential out of the gameplay that it could have.

To me, TEW2 felt like a mixture of Silent Hill Downpour (side characters and open world quests that relate to the protagonist's inner trauma) and The Last of Us (lots of crafting and gathering supplies, a protagonist with roughly the same body language, taking care of little girl) and Dark Souls (ravines, precipices, worlds breaking up into fragments and folding back upon themselves, vast deserts of dust).

Instead it should have been more oriented on Silent Hill 3 (bizarre environments that drain the mind of the player) and Resident Evil 4 (intense action that forces the player to think in terms of split seconds).

The potential of this gameplay in terms of survival horror is yet to be maxed out!
DeHeerser

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DeHeerser

Re: The Misunderstood and Underappreciated Gameplay of TEW

Postby SutterCane » Oct 19, 2017 8:49 pm

You're not wrong DeHeerser I came into this series purely for the gameplay. More gruesome monsters more often would've been good, there are some good monster designs in TEW2 I wouldn't have minded in TEW1. I can't for the life of me understand the point of Akumu, Nightmare's not bad though and I was a bit down on the sequel not having an equivalent.

I wound up liking the story myself and found it and the game's design to be more cohesive in the first game. The sequel is a bit of a mess when it establishes a theme or motif only to toss it aside in later chapters.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Previous

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak