What platform/platforms have y'all played TEW on?

(Discuss the game)

What platform/platforms have y'all played TEW on?

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Aug 16, 2017 2:08 am

As the thread title states...what platform/platforms have y'all played TEW on? I personally bought the PC version twice (the first time digitally, full-price Day 1 for Steam, the 2nd time for around $10-ish for a brand new physical PC version which also happened to be tied to Steam as well :/ ), and for the most part in my experiences so far, the game ran at a solid-ish 30FPS for me. Where I'm going with this is that many gamers I believe complained about the game's technical issues and whatnot...perhaps severely negatively affecting their perception of the gameplay and the game in general. I'm thankful that my experiences with the PC versions have been mostly smooth...but for presumably console players, they didn't get as nice of an experience as I did perhaps. Plus in general, I'm sort of curious about how the game is like on other platforms as well, especially the PS3360 versions of the game, which I recall had some differences in lighting or something like that, giving them their own distinct look from the current gen/PC versions of the game.

If this thread or something similar already exists, I apologize haha. I did do a search for a similar topic, but alas, my searching skills on forums kind of suck...so I might have missed such similar threads already.

So yea, share away what platform/platforms you got The Evil Within for, and optionally explain why you picked said platform/platforms and optionally state which version is your favorite, and/or optionally explain why as well! Happy sharing :]
ProgenitorCastle

Re: What platform/platforms have y'all played TEW on?

Postby dan76 » Aug 16, 2017 5:11 pm

I originally played it on X360 when it came out. Loved it, the performance didn't get in the way of me enjoying it too much. After getting a PS4 a couple of years ago I picked up the PS4 version for £5... and I had a hard time playing it.

It's obviously been patched since it came out so I was thinking it should be better than the X360 but it felt worse. I think what happened is I got spoilt by playing games at 60fps and I can't go back. On the 360 I completed an Akumu run which was fun, on PS4 I finished normal and gave up halfway through Nightmare.

If TEW is going to be a franchise let's hope it gets a remaster at some point.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Aug 16, 2017 8:21 pm

dan76 wrote:I originally played it on X360 when it came out. Loved it, the performance didn't get in the way of me enjoying it too much. After getting a PS4 a couple of years ago I picked up the PS4 version for £5... and I had a hard time playing it.

It's obviously been patched since it came out so I was thinking it should be better than the X360 but it felt worse. I think what happened is I got spoilt by playing games at 60fps and I can't go back. On the 360 I completed an Akumu run which was fun, on PS4 I finished normal and gave up halfway through Nightmare.

If TEW is going to be a franchise let's hope it gets a remaster at some point.

Interesting to me how you prefer the 360 ver. as opposed to PS4 ver.! So you mean, on the 360 ver. it was 60FPS and on the PS4, it wasn't?! I'm quite confused...I can't imagine a last-gen version of a cross-gen game running at a higher frame rate than the current gen version of it...hmm...

Wut??! YOU COMPLETED AKUMU MODE?!!??! HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE A GOD AMONGST HUMANITY?!?!?! AND YET, YOU GAVE UP HALFWAY THROUGH NIGHTMARE?!?!! Wuuuut

First TEW could definitely benefit from a remaster as well imo, perhaps it being ported to a different engine or something could do wonders for the game....hmmm....
ProgenitorCastle

Postby SutterCane » Aug 17, 2017 1:56 pm

PS4 day of release. At release the framerate in early chapters would dip quite a bit, there were also quite a few prominent glitches. Load times I didn't think were too bad but around the time of release I had played other games with very bad load times and was probably inoculated. None of that really bothered me much, I'm used to that sort of thing in some of my favourite games.

PS4 now has been patched and the frame rate issues are mostly gone but you still see drops here and there in the early chapters. There's still a really obvious glitch they never got around to fixing in chapter 10. Load times now are about 10-12 seconds which doesn't bother me. I bought it digitally on sale too because I lent out my copy.

I've always wondered about the 360 version because I've suspected it would be more stable so it was cool to read Dan's comment.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Aug 17, 2017 10:17 pm

SutterCane wrote:PS4 day of release. At release the framerate in early chapters would dip quite a bit, there were also quite a few prominent glitches. Load times I didn't think were too bad but around the time of release I had played other games with very bad load times and was probably inoculated. None of that really bothered me much, I'm used to that sort of thing in some of my favourite games.

PS4 now has been patched and the frame rate issues are mostly gone but you still see drops here and there in the early chapters. There's still a really obvious glitch they never got around to fixing in chapter 10. Load times now are about 10-12 seconds which doesn't bother me. I bought it digitally on sale too because I lent out my copy.

I've always wondered about the 360 version because I've suspected it would be more stable so it was cool to read Dan's comment.

Re: PS4 day of release. At release the framerate in early chapters would dip quite a bit, there were also quite a few prominent glitches. Load times I didn't think were too bad but around the time of release I had played other games with very bad load times and was probably inoculated. None of that really bothered me much, I'm used to that sort of thing in some of my favourite games.

I see I see...glad you were able to/possibly still enjoy the PS4 ver. of the game in spite of these technical flaws!

Re: I've always wondered about the 360 version because I've suspected it would be more stable so it was cool to read Dan's comment.

Wouldn't be surprised if 360 ver. might be more stable...after all, I've read up that the game was originally in dev. for the PS3360 anyways!
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 18, 2017 1:45 am

PS4. Framerates didn't bother me that much really, but the game size is ridiculous. I have a 500GB PS4, so I had to uninstall the game a few months back to make space... It was a hard decision. Then Sony announces external HDD support a while after that and I'm like :|
Rikitatsu

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Aug 18, 2017 2:10 am

Hey Riki! It's been like...ages since we interacted w/ eachother here on this site! Remember when I was much more active on this site in the old days, before TEW released?

Rikitatsu wrote:PS4. Framerates didn't bother me that much really, but the game size is ridiculous. I have a 500GB PS4, so I had to uninstall the game a few months back to make space... It was a hard decision. Then Sony announces external HDD support a while after that and I'm like :|

I see...yea, I also agree w/ the opinion that the game size is ridiculous for TEW, which I believe at launch for the PC ver. was around 50 fucking GBs. Seems to be a problem w/ Id Tech games in general, as on me and my friend's shared at the time Steam account, before TEW released by a few months I believe, I purchased Wolfenstein: The New Order for various reasons...mainly to see how a game in the same engine (I think both TEW and TNO were in id tech 5) would run on the gaming PC I got to play what I thought would be the best version of the game, and to a lesser extent general curiosity about the game/story/gameplay as well. I think the space on the HDD it took up was 40-50 ish GBs, similar to TEW's filesize.

Re:

I have a 500GB PS4, so I had to uninstall the game a few months back to make space... It was a hard decision. Then Sony announces external HDD support a while after that and I'm like :|[

I have a 500GB PS4 also! Mines a Slim that I'm proud of owning for the most part (still salty at Sony for locking online multiplayer behind the paywall of PS+, along with some minor system features :/, not to mention the general lag of the Share button...the screenshots and/or videos take a second or two to take after pressing the button I believe, besides these two things I think I like everything else about the system) haha!

I haven't got to the point yet where I need to uninstall and re-install games, but when that time comes (it most likely will at some point in the future), I'mma be rather annoyed at that I think...I'm currently like that w/ Steam, where I gotta uninstall and reinstall stuff to play at times, but at least most of my Steam stuff is digital...so in that case, it's a matter of a few clicks to uninstall and reinstall stuff...most of my PS4 games are physical discs, so I picture it being even more of a pain in the ass to get up, take disc out of case, and reinstall game (after I uninstall stuff to free up enough room to reinstall it).

Oh man, that must suck so much lmao! re: Then Sony announces external HDD support a while after that and I'm like :|[ I can picture very well how frustrating that might be...sorry you had to go through that haha. I believe the Wii U launched w/ external HDD support from the get-go...I applaud Nintendo for that!
ProgenitorCastle

Postby dan76 » Aug 18, 2017 7:21 am

ProgenitorCastle wrote:
Interesting to me how you prefer the 360 ver. as opposed to PS4 ver.! So you mean, on the 360 ver. it was 60FPS and on the PS4, it wasn't?! I'm quite confused...I can't imagine a last-gen version of a cross-gen game running at a higher frame rate than the current gen version of it...hmm...

Wut??! YOU COMPLETED AKUMU MODE?!!??! HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE A GOD AMONGST HUMANITY?!?!?! AND YET, YOU GAVE UP HALFWAY THROUGH NIGHTMARE?!?!! Wuuuut

No, sorry, the 360 version was at 30fps, but I'd got too used to the PS4 running in 60fps to go back to a glitchy stuttering 30fps game. Ridiculous, I know. I think at the time of release I loved it so much I didn't really see the technical problems. Now, not so much.

The 360 might be more stable because it's doing less, I'll fire it up again on 360 before TEW2 to check.

With regards to Akumu, I was just pointing out the fact that the 360 version was doable but I found the PS4 version too glitchy. Especially the thing of lighting bodies on fire as an enemy attacks you. I could hardly get it to work on PS4. I hope Akumu is in 2. It can be a frustrating hell but lead to a zen like calm...
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Aug 18, 2017 7:55 am

dan76 wrote:
ProgenitorCastle wrote:

No, sorry, the 360 version was at 30fps, but I'd got too used to the PS4 running in 60fps to go back to a glitchy stuttering 30fps game. Ridiculous, I know. I think at the time of release I loved it so much I didn't really see the technical problems. Now, not so much.

The 360 might be more stable because it's doing less, I'll fire it up again on 360 before TEW2 to check.

With regards to Akumu, I was just pointing out the fact that the 360 version was doable but I found the PS4 version too glitchy. Especially the thing of lighting bodies on fire as an enemy attacks you. I could hardly get it to work on PS4. I hope Akumu is in 2. It can be a frustrating hell but lead to a zen like calm...

re:

I see...that makes more sense to me than what I understood before!

re:

Hmmm....interesting to me if true! In my reply to StutterCane in this thread, I mentioned this:

Wouldn't be surprised if 360 ver. might be more stable...after all, I've read up that the game was originally in dev. for the PS3360 anyways!

So it very well could be that the 360 ver. is more stable!

re:

With regards to Akumu, I was just pointing out the fact that the 360 version was doable but I found the PS4 version too glitchy. Especially the thing of lighting bodies on fire as an enemy attacks you. I could hardly get it to work on PS4.

I see...I find it cool that the timing of lighting bodies on fire as an enemy attacks you is different according to you between the two ver.s! So in the 360 ver., you find it...faster? to be able to light the bodies on fire if I understood correctly?

re:

I hope Akumu is in 2. It can be a frustrating hell but lead to a zen like calm...

I see...perhaps one-hit kills in Akumu aren't as jarring as say, the lower difficulties since I think the description of Akumu mode staight-up tells you before you select it that you only die in one hit from anything?
ProgenitorCastle

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak