Why This forum is dead?

(Discuss the game)

Why This forum is dead?

Postby ghostcall » Sep 05, 2017 11:05 pm

I mean Pre-TEW release this forum was very much alive and popular. Now TEW2 announcement I thought more people would come back to this forum but seem only fewer people came back (including me) Considering that TEW will become Franchise. I really expected a lot of people would come back to this forum...... did some people forget this forum exist? or never paid attention that TEW2 has been announced? or I am just wrong because most people are lurking here without posting?
Last edited by ghostcall on Sep 06, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Re: Why This forum is dead?

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 06, 2017 12:14 am

I think it's mainly due to TEW1's mysterious nature. Everyone thought it'd be reviving classic Survival Horror, and thus old RE and SH fans flooded the forums with excitement.

Now everyone knows the type of game TEW2's gonna be, so only those who liked the first game will be interested.

That said, I have a feeling TEW2 will grow the fanbase exponentially.
Rikitatsu

Postby akoron17 » Sep 06, 2017 8:10 am

I think it was mostly due to disappointment from RE fans and SH fans. Everyone was expecting a true return to survival horror including me, but instead we got a gory RE4 clone with psychological elements that were only used for switching settings and survival that barely lasted. This was because of shinji mikami and the advertising team constantly lying about it and using gameplay of chapter 9 like candy. I mean I got so pissed when they switched the survival horror slogan to action horror by the time it came out. It was a literal "fuck you" to old RE and SH fans.

TEW is fun and atmospheric, but it was barely even close to what we expected. Now everyone is expecting the same from TEW2 which is unfortunate because it seems to be even closer to what we expected with TEW. I honestly can't wait for it, but I'm being a bit skeptical for now.
akoron17

Favorite Title: REmake
PSN: chriskilla10
XBL: ChrisHawk101
Wii U: None
Steam: akoronthebastard

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Sep 06, 2017 11:27 am

^^ The above reply pretty much sums it up.

Before the game released, I was expecting TEW to be something of a spiritual successor to RE REmake, with I think Mikami's quote going something like "a return to pure survival horror" and when I think pure survival horror, I think of RE REmake as that, so I expected TEW to be something like that. Not that I despise the final product of TEW, but I think I would've liked it alot more if it was a true successor to RE REmake as opposed to the mix of RE REmake and RE4 that TEW ended up being, so I have this sort of love-hate relationship to TEW as a result of the high expectations of it possibly being a spiritual successor to REmake and it not being that in the end
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 06, 2017 12:05 pm

I don't think it's fair to say that the marketing/Mikami lied about the game.
It was advertised as "Pure Survival Horror" , and the definition of that phrase according to Mikami wasn't backtracking and open levels. It was the balance between action and horror, and let's be honest, TEW1 nailed that aspect perfectly, most of the time.

The misplaced expectations are purely our fault. And yes, they've shown Ch.9 a lot, but they also shown other liner chapters. (Hell, the first gameplay was the heavily scripted Sadist chase in Ch.1). But we still held on to the belief that it's classic RE successor.

Well, it's not. It was never meant to be that. It was meant to be a Survival Horror game, and they delivered on that.

We can sit here and debate the definition of Survival Horror, but Mikami already made it clear what he meant with it, and he is the man who made the game that coined the term.

I mean I got so pissed when they switched the survival horror slogan to action horror by the time it came out. It was a literal "fuck you" to old RE and SH fans.

Wait, when did they ever switch the slogan? I doubt that would happen as Bethesda pretty damn paranoid of anyone associating 'action' with the game.
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Sep 06, 2017 4:00 pm

We have a LOT of lurkers here. People come by for news and don't seem interested in talking, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm actually honored to have this site as the unofficial news network for TEW.

There's also the issue of the mystery surrounding this franchise being gone. TEW1 had the benefit of being a new IP, which meant excited speculation from fans eager to see the next project from Shinji Mikami. That spark and mystery doesn't carry over to a sequel, unfortunately.

That whole "action horror" thing being discussed above literally never happened btw. And as a fan of RE, SH, and TEW I'm a little offended at the statement that TEW was any sort of insult to the genre or a slap in the face to fans.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby akoron17 » Sep 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I don't think it's fair to say that the marketing/Mikami lied about the game.
It was advertised as "Pure Survival Horror" , and the definition of that phrase according to Mikami wasn't backtracking and open levels. It was the balance between action and horror, and let's be honest, TEW1 nailed that aspect perfectly, most of the time.

The misplaced expectations are purely our fault. And yes, they've shown Ch.9 a lot, but they also shown other liner chapters. (Hell, the first gameplay was the heavily scripted Sadist chase in Ch.1). But we still held on to the belief that it's classic RE successor.

Well, it's not. It was never meant to be that. It was meant to be a Survival Horror game, and they delivered on that.

We can sit here and debate the definition of Survival Horror, but Mikami already made it clear what he meant with it, and he is the man who made the game that coined the term.

I mean I got so pissed when they switched the survival horror slogan to action horror by the time it came out. It was a literal "fuck you" to old RE and SH fans.

Wait, when did they ever switch the slogan? I doubt that would happen as Bethesda pretty damn paranoid of anyone associating 'action' with the game.

My memory failed on the last one. I found the video I thought said it was action horror, but it wasn't. My mistake. Also Autoignition, you're misconstruing my words. I said that phrase was an insult not the game, but it didn't exist.

All I just didn't like in how they hinted at it being a REmake successor. From the guy who directed the games (Resident evil 1) that defined and perfected the genre saying that it's "pure" survival horror, to the artist who made the amazing environments of REmake. How can it not feel like straight lies.
akoron17

Postby Autoignition » Sep 06, 2017 6:49 pm

I think you're misremembering a lot about the marketing for TEW1. I worked at Gamestop during the game's release, so I kind of have it baked into my memory. While it is true that Bethesda sold the game on Mikami's name and resume, calling him the "grandfather of survival horror" and pushing the fact that he birthed Resident Evil, TEW1 was never billed as a REmake spiritual successor or anything like that. At least, not openly. There may have been a video or two that showed off the pedigrees of the staff and talked about visual inspirations, but they weren't widely marketed. Personally, I followed TEW pretty closely leading up to release, and I always always always felt it was more RE4 than REmake. I was actually afraid for a long time that it was just going to be a lazy reskin of RE4 meant as a quick cash grab for Mikami.

The real discrepancy between TEW1's marketing and its release is the fact that there no longer is a set, universal definition for what "survival horror" is anymore. Shinji Mikami described it as the feeling you get when an enemy is bearing down on you and you only have one bullet left and you pull off a headshot. In that respect, TEW is survival horror in spades. It's just that, for a lot of people, survival horror also involves fixed camera angles, tank controls, backtracking, etc. So, it's not that the marketing was lies, it's that there was a huge miscommunication between Mikami and his audience.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby akoron17 » Sep 06, 2017 9:50 pm

Autoignition wrote:I think you're misremembering a lot about the marketing for TEW1. I worked at Gamestop during the game's release, so I kind of have it baked into my memory. While it is true that Bethesda sold the game on Mikami's name and resume, calling him the "grandfather of survival horror" and pushing the fact that he birthed Resident Evil, TEW1 was never billed as a REmake spiritual successor or anything like that. At least, not openly. There may have been a video or two that showed off the pedigrees of the staff and talked about visual inspirations, but they weren't widely marketed. Personally, I followed TEW pretty closely leading up to release, and I always always always felt it was more RE4 than REmake. I was actually afraid for a long time that it was just going to be a lazy reskin of RE4 meant as a quick cash grab for Mikami.

The real discrepancy between TEW1's marketing and its release is the fact that there no longer is a set, universal definition for what "survival horror" is anymore. Shinji Mikami described it as the feeling you get when an enemy is bearing down on you and you only have one bullet left and you pull off a headshot. In that respect, TEW is survival horror in spades. It's just that, for a lot of people, survival horror also involves fixed camera angles, tank controls, backtracking, etc. So, it's not that the marketing was lies, it's that there was a huge miscommunication between Mikami and his audience.

Well I'm saying they were strongly presenting as so while not openly. Otherwise you're 100%, I think the problem was that he didn't really have a true vision or focus which showed in the final product. The disjointed and forced gameplay sections I felt like I was playing multiple games in one game. The slow and dreadfilled exploration section to a forced stealth section to a forced action section to a creepy hallway section. He didn't know how to explain it because he didn't have focus. Atleast that's just my guess really.
akoron17

Postby SutterCane » Sep 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Competing platforms of discussion could be an issue I think, after a game releases new avenues for chat open up as well. The fanbase for the game that exists is then divided.

Personally as time went on I think I felt a huge disconnect between what most people saw as survival horror and what I felt was survival horror. All the adventure game aspects of RE1 had been done before in other games but what hadn't really been the focus of an action game before was resource management dictating the flow of the action as a means of deriving tension. So I saw that way of handling action as being the core of survival horror and all the adventure game elements as being the vehicle or shell for those mechanics to operate within. A "pure survival horror" would in that case put a major focus on the survival horror elements I've outlined but everything else about the game design would be up in the air. I think TEW delivered on it's promise as I understood it, I'm not really sure what it's competition is in that area either beyond RE1, Code Veronica and RE0 when it comes delivering resource management based action.

From what I've read of Shinji Mikami in interviews and going off of quotes like the one Autoignition mentions I think Shinji's definition might be similar to mine. Beyond that though I've read interviews where he described Colin McRea Rally games as having elements of survival horror because of their timer being akin to managing ammo in RE. So I imagine he views the structures that the mechanics of survival horror could operate within as being very varied. So you could have survival horror platformers, JRPGs or pet rearing games rather than everything being survival horror adventure games.

It was a bit of a personal disappointment to see the things most people focus on as being survival horror were what I saw as the shell without really any concern being given to the driving force at the centre of gameplay. There are more than enough examples of those hollow shells too that pass by unmolested by the "that's not a survival horror" crowd. I guess I'm venting a little but it was quite annoying to see RE4 marked out as a huge shift or destructive force in the genre when at least in that game there exists the potential, no matter how small, that you might run out of ammo and die.

Also most people's definitions of survival horror are personal, vague, filled with double standards, arbitrary line drawing, misguided conservatism and a lack of solid reasoning. It's obnoxious and I don't know how anyone can possibly expect any developer to fulfil all their bizarre expectations. Like even going off something like this "It's just that, for a lot of people, survival horror also involves fixed camera angles, tank controls, backtracking" you've cut off a lot of games that fully deserve the label of survival horror far more than most and included many that don't.

Realistically it's impossible to please everybody with survival horror but prior to release everybody imagines they have the same definition and consider the same things important when they really don't.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak