The Evil Within 2 and Speed Grapher?

(Discuss the game)

The Evil Within 2 and Speed Grapher?

Postby Silent Hill » Sep 22, 2017 11:52 pm

One thing that struck me when watching The Evil Within 2's reveal trailer is that it reminded me of the 2005 anime Speed Grapher.

Now Speed Grapher is not very well known and it could be coincidence, but Speed Grapher is about a young girl who can bestow upon people the power to gain superhuman abilities based on their sexual fetish (yeah, it's weird) and the photographer, Tatsumi Saiga, who tries to rescue her from the sinister organization that controls her.

These abilities include a rubber fesithsist who can turn himself into a gimp looking rubberman and Tatsumi Saiga himself gains the ability to kill people by taking their photo, since he himself is a former war photographer who got an unexpected sick thrill from taking photos of carnage.

The Evil Within 2 has a serial killer photographer who takes photos of people in their dying moments, on top of that the reveal trailer used a cover of Duran Duran's "Ordinary World" and Speed Grapher's opening credits in Japan used Duran Duran's "Girls on Film"

It's a bit of stretch and like I said it could be coincidence, but the combination of violent photography and Duran Duran definitely reminded me of Speed Grapher and I wonder if there could be some inspiration taken for The Evil Within 2, would do you think?
Silent Hill

Favorite Title: Silent Hill 2

Re: The Evil Within 2 and Speed Grapher?

Postby SutterCane » Sep 24, 2017 3:15 am

It's possible, I'm not familiar with that anime myself. It made me think of Dead an Buried which had a crowd of people photograph their victims as they murdered them. Your's might be a more likely influence.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak