The Evil Within 2 Impressions Thread

(Discuss the game)

Re: The Evil Within 2 Impressions Thread

Postby berto » Oct 20, 2017 7:06 am

One thing I forgot to mention, something that I kept thinking every time I found a Mobius agent. One thing that stood out to me about TEW1 was how a lot of the locales were very similar to crime scenes. Tremendously so and I remember that specifically because someone made an appreciation video years ago and they mentioned it and it seemed to me that they knew what they were talking about. Splat pattern, position of the body, signs of struggle and other indications of the events were present which all told a story with each room you walked into. They indicated action and movement, act of violence that were thoroughly thought out and reenacted in the details when you looked around and that is something that Mikami has actually done before on occasion with RE. I remembered it when I see dead Mobius agents because in TEW2 they just put the models on the floor or, basically, just there.

The devil's in the details and this game is lacking in those. The little things, they're important.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Shadows/Damned
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Postby dan76 » Oct 20, 2017 10:42 pm

I'm up to chapter 6 on nightmare (I completed survival first) and I got the
giant crow. I took a couple of shots at it and it took off, so I killed it in the air. It dropped 20000 green gel. Looking at the map it's located to the left of the north safe house in the car park round the side of the building.

It was in chapter 3 and I think it was because I had killed every enemy in the chapter. This is after triggering Lily and I was about to head into the stem. I decided to go back and kill everything and get as much green gel as possible.
I posted about it in the news section, and I'm not sure if it's a spoiler. Pretty cool reward. That slow-down upgrade is only 4000 away.

Btw, playing through a second time and chapter 5 is boring. City Hall could've been a great location if
they had decided to put some enemies in there... and not focused solely on scripted sequences.

EDIT: thinking about the combat it does seem too easy to engage enemies and run away from them. All you really have to do is break their line of sight and they will slowly walk back to their reset positions, so you can stealth kill them on the way. It's almost broken, at the very least an easy exploit.

The Smoke bolts are way op. They blind everything as far as I can tell. You may not be able to stealth everything but those 4 legged enemies won't attack and the creepy witch type woman flails around aimlessly. Though with her, again, just stealth once, run, break line of sight, wait for her to reset and stealth again.

I think that a good NG+ playthrough would be a non-stealth one. Using bullet time to kill everything is soooo good, I think a gun/crosbow only run would be fun.

Also, I really hope we get some kind of dlc. A horde mode or even multiplayer type mode would be fantastic. I doubt it will happen though.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby berto » Oct 21, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm on ch. 3 of my Nightmare run and I've noticed that I'm my second play through survivor animals dropped nothing but on my right now they occasionally drop stuff. I think animal only drop stuff on any first playthrough. The rats on the trains dropped brain goo but the first 2 did.

dan76 wrote:I got the
giant crow. I took a couple of shots at it and it took off, so I killed it in the air. It dropped 20000 green gel. Looking at the map it's located to the left of the north safe house in the car park round the side of the building.

It was in chapter 3 and I think it was because I had killed every enemy in the chapter. This is after triggering Lily and I was about to head into the stem. I decided to go back and kill everything and get as much green gel as possible.

Cool. I'll try that, too.
berto

Postby tormented » Oct 22, 2017 7:56 pm

just finished. took 26 hours on nightmare, not because it's difficult, but because i am slow and like to look around more than needed. the only thing that didn't go so well was the sidequest you get by saving the guy on top of the truck by the theater. thought there would be a little more time to activate that server..

it was enjoyable and entertaining, but not a classic like the original.
tormented

PSN: Fushitsusha

Postby berto » Oct 22, 2017 8:56 pm

tormented wrote:just finished. took 26 hours on nightmare, not because it's difficult, but because i am slow and like to look around more than needed. the only thing that didn't go so well was the sidequest you get by saving the guy on top of the truck by the theater. thought there would be a little more time to activate that server..

it was enjoyable and entertaining, but not a classic like the original.

Don't feel bad. My first playthrough on survivor took me 23 hours. I spent a lot of it, and I mean a lot, in the shooting gallery. Plus all the exploring and trying to find things in every nook and cranny is also a time consuming affair.
berto

Postby DeHeerser » Oct 25, 2017 4:58 am

dan76 wrote:

The Smoke bolts are way op. They blind everything as far as I can tell. You may not be able to stealth everything but those 4 legged enemies won't attack and the creepy witch type woman flails around aimlessly. Though with her, again, just stealth once, run, break line of sight, wait for her to reset and stealth again.
h.

I wouldn't say smoke bolt is OP. Oftentimes you stab an enemy and after the animation find yourself outside of the smoke cloud. Smoke bolt is pretty much the way to go against flamethrower. But after you stab, you and him may put yourselves outside of the smoke because the 'behavior' or 'placement' of the smoke is often illogical. Just as the flamer can also stick his guns through walls in some places and torch you through the wall if the muzzle sticks out.

In the later chapters Theodore sends a bunch fire golems and flame thrower dudes after you in a cathedral setting. In Nightmare you pretty much have to rely on the sneak kill method because they are given more HP. So praise the Lord for sneak kill.

I killed all enemies in those areas however unfortunately did not spot a giant crow.
DeHeerser

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DeHeerser

Postby dan76 » Oct 25, 2017 10:43 am

DeHeerser wrote:
I killed all enemies in those areas however unfortunately did not spot a giant crow.

Did you recheck all the houses? There were a few that had extra enemies spawn after the Lily stuff. I had to go back over everything. One of those witches came running out of an empty house, stared the shit out of me.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby berto » Oct 25, 2017 12:06 pm

I personally did check everywhere and I still did not get the Crow. I spent several hours looking and checking every house, street and back alley. The only thing I didn't do in Ch. 3 was to initiate the singing ghost since I'm going to try to kill everything in Ch. 4 to get gel before moving on.
berto

Postby SDF121 » Nov 01, 2017 3:33 am

Rikitatsu wrote:I don't see how that picture of Bald Sebastian resembles the Sebastian we've seen in TEW2, so it's a stretch to say that she did Seb in TEW2... It's likely Seb from her own version of TEW2

What concept are are you referring to? I'd be curious to see this "bald Sebastian".
SDF121

Postby berto » Nov 01, 2017 1:48 pm

Welp, I beat the game on Nightmare last night and it was just the worst. It was so artificially unfair at times I just couldn't stand it. Anyway, beat and I was going to call it on the game in general, I've played a fuck of a lot already, time to keep working on that backlog, but I unlocked the brass knuckles and I wanted to test them out. Now I'm playing the game again on nightmare but with my brass knuckles and it's not for fun anymore, it's for vengeance. At one point, I didn't say this out loud but... Some dude graved be and I smacked him with a jar as as that happened I said here's your glass, now have some punch, then I punched his head off... Vengeance.
berto

PreviousNext

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak