How is the gunplay of TEW2?

(Discuss the game)

How is the gunplay of TEW2?

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Oct 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Something that has me rather curious is the gunplay of TEW2...I was wondering if it's at least on par w/ the first game's, because I LOVE the headshots/partial headshots system of TEW1 and was wondering if that aspect was retained in TEW2...I sure hope it is, but there isn't a demo on Steam to my knowledge :/

That feature, the headshots/partial headshots, makes me INSTANTLY think...oh, that's The Evil Within I'm playing!

Unfortunately, my debit payment for TEW2 got declined :/ and I can't get the game anymore as of now...IF the gunplay is equal to or greater than TEW1's, then I'll bite and try to get it one day
ProgenitorCastle

Re: How is the gunplay of TEW2?

Postby SutterCane » Oct 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Short answer is not awful but much worse than the original by a great deal. None of the hit reactions are as well done or reliable, sprint system is worthless. Enemies sprint faster than you so they wind up in your face in no time at all, the whole placing your shots carefully thing from the first game is tossed out the window. There aren't as many environmental interactions for combat. Not enough ammo on nightmare to make up for combat costing so much more resources than the absolute zero stealth requires. Ammo management balance is rubbish because of that and you wind up forced into stealth.

The game is designed primarily around stealth and combat suffers massively. 95% of the game is stealth viable which translates to forced stealth because they don't include the kind of environmental hazards the first game had which a combat player could use to their advantage to save massively on ammo. You also can't save ammo using trick shots because things like the leg shot match burn in TEW1 simply don't exist here.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Postby Autoignition » Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

What Cane said, basically. The headshots and partial headshots are still there, but outside of them your guns have no real stopping power. You can hit a dude square in the chest with a shotgun and they won't even stagger. So, the guns on the whole feel way less satisfying in this game.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby eaterofsoulsxx » Oct 17, 2017 10:57 pm

It should have been called the stealth within.
eaterofsoulsxx
have no fear.

Favorite Title: Anything really.

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Oct 18, 2017 3:05 am

Sad to hear that the gunplay/gameplay in general sounds like a massive downgrade from the 1st game's :[

At least the headshots/partial headshots was retained :]

In general, it kind of sounds like a full game of the 1st game's Juli DLCs, which were more steath-focused than the base game

I'm prolly still gonna get TEW2 down the line solely for it's atmosphere, which looked awesome and well done to me from it's promo materials, but gonna wait for it to go on sale...maybe for $30 ish and lower I'll bite

Thanks to everyone who replied so far!
ProgenitorCastle

Postby liontamer » Oct 18, 2017 3:34 am

Well, it's satisfying when you're going up against two enemies, but it suffers greatly when the game tries to create an encounter with more than five enemies (on Nightmare, not sure about Survival).

I remember I had the power to do all sorts of cool shit in the first game during combat, but here the enemy movement and attack animation is so overwhelming and unmatched that you're forced to accept it and you're left with fewer ways to deal with combat encounters. There's very little critical thinking involved during combat and enemies aren't as smart as they were before.

I completed the game but I can't remember one encounter that actually satisfied me like first game's Chapter 6 did.
liontamer

PSN: breakdownthewall

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Oct 18, 2017 3:43 am

liontamer wrote:Well, it's satisfying when you're going up against two enemies, but it suffers greatly when the game tries to create an encounter with more than five enemies (on Nightmare, not sure about Survival).

I remember I had the power to do all sorts of cool shit in the first game during combat, but here the enemy movement and attack animation is so overwhelming and unmatched that you're forced to accept it and you're left with fewer ways to deal with combat encounters. There's very little critical thinking involved during combat and enemies aren't as smart as they were before.

I completed the game but I can't remember one encounter that actually satisfied me like first game's Chapter 6 did.

Aah...intriguing post you made there!

So the combat, it sounds like while worse than the 1st game's isn't downright dogshit...hmm...not too shabby.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby liontamer » Oct 18, 2017 4:07 am

ProgenitorCastle wrote:
liontamer wrote:Well, it's satisfying when you're going up against two enemies, but it suffers greatly when the game tries to create an encounter with more than five enemies (on Nightmare, not sure about Survival).

So the combat, it sounds like while worse than the 1st game's isn't downright dogshit...hmm...not too shabby.

Yeah, weapons sound great and nailing a headshot is as satisfying as ever, in my opinion. But do not go in expecting Chapter 6-like close encounter craziness.
liontamer

PSN: breakdownthewall

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Oct 18, 2017 4:26 am

liontamer wrote:
ProgenitorCastle wrote:

Yeah, weapons sound great and nailing a headshot is as satisfying as ever, in my opinion. But do not go in expecting Chapter 6-like close encounter craziness.

As long as the headshots are great, I'm down for the combat of TEW2
ProgenitorCastle

Postby dan76 » Oct 18, 2017 5:44 am

I've found the gunplay pretty good to be honest. I haven't posted my final impressions of the game yet as I'm still not finished, but the headshots are so damn satisfying. Some if the best gun feedback in any game.

Unfortunately, it's a stealth game so using you gun never really feels essential in normal combat. As in the first game upgrading damage and especially critical hit makes a difference. I also unlocked a
silenced pistol which is weaker than other handguns
but, using the cover mechanic you can poke you head out and reel off headshots without alerting other enemies. It's fucking great, but the game makes you feel dumb for doing it because you could stealth them.

However, this game has one if the coolest upgrades. It's so expensive I think you're only supposed to get it for NG+.
the bullet time upgrade allows you to slow down the action whilst aiming. So you aim, press triangle and enemies move incredibly slow. It uses your stamina bar so it's worth upgrading that as well so you can stay in bullet time longer. It's such fun having two or three enemies charging at you and using that to take them all out with headshots. I don't know if it belongs in a survival horror game but it's a great mechanic. I with they had based the game around that instead if stealth tbh.
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak