I know this is a little early...

(Discuss the game)

I know this is a little early...

Postby eaterofsoulsxx » Oct 17, 2017 11:14 pm

But if they ever were to make a third sequel which they might... But I want to know what do you hope to see and how it turns out? TEW2 was honestly a tragic disappointment for most of us and it did not really live up to expectations. I mean I expected it to be different than what we got now. List the things you would like to see in a third game. c:
eaterofsoulsxx
have no fear.

Favorite Title: Anything really.

Re: I know this is a little early...

Postby Autoignition » Oct 17, 2017 11:28 pm

+ The combat/difficulty balance from the first game HAS to return. This is non-negotiable. There is no excuse for the ammo/encounter balance in TEW2 to be as horrendous as it was.

+ GIVE. ME. A. GODDAMN. DODGE. BUTTON.

+ If they want to continue with a more cinematic storytelling approach, that's perfectly fine, but they need to write a better goddamn script. I'm not going to sit through another idiot's approach to storytelling with repetitive, simplistic, wooden dialogue. It's 2017. Do better.

+ No more fridging of women. If women die in TEW3, it better be for an actual narrative purpose and not to just contribute to manpain. No more treating women as babymakers. No more reducing women to objects for the male protagonist to pursue. It's 2017. Do better.

+ Either hire better amateur voice actors or wait until the VA strike is over to start making this game, because I cannot abide the acting in TEW2.

+ Art direction that focuses on lighting is my favorite kind. TEW1 did it beautifully. Alan Wake is another example of amazing light direction. I'd love to see that return.

+ I still would like to see some implementation of a Dark Souls-style invasion multiplayer system. I feel like it would fit STEM perfectly and would be a lot of fun.

+ Be a proper sequel. I still don't understand what the point was of making the first game a prologue story and then never following through on the stage that was set.

+ More varied locations. I feel like over half of TEW2 was spent running back and forth on the streets of Union, and I got so sick of looking at it after a while.

+ Just write it better. Just. Be better. Hire me, Bethesda. I'll pack up and move east to MD or west to Japan at a moment's notice. Hire me. I've already found like three of my ideas that I wrote years ago floating around in TEW2. We're on the same wavelength. I can do it, and I can do it better. Put me in, coach.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby eaterofsoulsxx » Oct 18, 2017 8:39 am

You want to know what I want? I want to know what happened to the characters from the first game. Namely Ruvik, Leslie and Joseph because we have NO idea what the hell happened to them. And I adored the art style of the first game. They didn't look right to me... Especially younger Sebastian... Like... his face... what even? Plus I want to see more concept art and enemies used in this game. Also, I didn't think the guy in the sequel didn't sound that bad but there were moments that did make me cringe like the opening and the part where he gets all emotional and yelling. I didn't like it that much. Plus he really did sound like a wannabe Batman. I say look for better amateur work. I can't wait that long because who knows how long that silly strike will last. This is perfect to find talent out there.

Also I want a new latino character. That is all. I'm sorry if my want list isn't as descriptive but it is 7 am right now. >>;
eaterofsoulsxx
have no fear.

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 18, 2017 10:08 am

They won't make a TEW3, betting on it... Sales have been dreadful for TEW2 (Selling 75% less than the 1st game in UK).

At most we'll get a Standalone expansion like Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, or Wolf: The Old Blood... Featuring Juli Kidman trying to save Joseph or whatever... But a proper TEW3? Don't think so.
Rikitatsu

Postby zombifiers » Oct 18, 2017 10:30 am

My wish at this point is a wormhole portal to the better universe that has a better TEW2 opens up and swallows us whole so we can experience a better version of what we got--and then get a satisfying conclusion in TEW3.

But since we're stuck in THIS particular universe, I'd like at the very least to get a Death of the Outsider-expansion finale that's shorter than a main game, has good writing (like DotO), good voice acting (like DotO), and has an ending that is both an ending and a new beginning (.... again, like DotO).

Basically just do what Arkane did, you putzes. And give Trent Haaga writing lessons, if he's staying on.
Better to be bound than free to feel pain.
zombifiers
irl necromancer

Favorite Title: Fatal Frame
PSN: Opheliac-W14A

Postby Autoignition » Oct 18, 2017 11:49 am

Rikitatsu wrote:They won't make a TEW3, betting on it... Sales have been dreadful for TEW2 (Selling 75% less than the 1st game in UK).

At most we'll get a Standalone expansion like Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, or Wolf: The Old Blood... Featuring Juli Kidman trying to save Joseph or whatever... But a proper TEW3? Don't think so.

Bethesda has no one to blame but themselves. That marketing campaign was abysmal. So many people didn't even know a sequel was being made.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby eaterofsoulsxx » Oct 18, 2017 12:31 pm

I'd like to add in something: The voice actors strike is over. Turns out it ended in September.
eaterofsoulsxx
have no fear.

Postby zombifiers » Oct 18, 2017 1:24 pm

^ That gives me a weird amount of hope that old VA will return if they do a finale expansion. I can even see that being something Bethesda pushes as a selling point.
zombifiers
irl necromancer

Postby berto » Oct 18, 2017 2:04 pm

It seems unlike most here I don't hate this game, I don't even dislike it. I understand the complaints but a lot of those weren't as damning to me as they seem be to most. I agree with the fact that the dialogue comes off like a first draft from a 14 year old who's never taken a writing class and the voice acting was... Ugh... (well, in that department I just went with the Spanish audio so I'm fine there) but there are still enough things here that I loved to still consider this worthwhile.

Anyway, the most important thing I'd want out of a sequel is the return of tone and motifs. It seems clear that the people who made 1 are not the same people who made 2. Yeah, their names are on the credits but they obviously didn't pull as much of what they wanted here as others did. The original was macabre, gruesome, carnal (and not in a sexual way), the kind of thing that gets under your skin and makes you overly aware of said skin, and this one, while full of great visuals, concepts and creatures, it has only a fraction of what the first one had in terms of the macabre.

Remember all those posters in the first game? How about that one trap where you have to shoot the top of the machine that's dragging you into a grinder? How about all those booby traps in that village with the Sadist or finding a giant pig? How about that title sequence after the prologue. All these little things that amassed to something larger. The first game isn't perfect, sometimes I find it more troublesome than enjoyable, but god damn it if it didn't have an almost palpable passion for horror and a unique presence and personality. This game is missing that. It's too... mainstream? I don't know the word, it's just cleaner and TEW was never that. It was uncomfortable while this one is suburban, I think. It's accessible, it's more organized and it plays better but it's also lost a fundamental quality. It adds some great things but in doing so it lost some its most defining characteristics. Bring those back. Add the new things but don't sacrifice the old.

Bring back the old cast. Along with that go back to the old screen writer. This whole idea of making the story more personal is dumb. No every video game character has to deal with situations that only hit close to home. And even if it does in this it only seemed to make less personal. At least learn to write family interactions, there is more to it that what you had here... actually, scratch that, remove what you have here and replace it with more tangible things. My advice is watch some of the most iconic horror films there are because a lot of what made them work was the human factor and how it affected them as people not just how well the boos worked.

Other than that stop listening to the feedback. I know games are multi million dollar project that often cost too much to not see your investment returned but you don't have to take advice from people who don't know what they want even if there was a lot of them telling you the same thing. There is a time to listen to feedback and there is a time to follow your gut. Plus, let's face it, if most of these people who actually took the trouble to complain about things knew what worked and how to make the game better they'd make a living off of it. A player who goes off on wanting to make things more accessible is like a kid who wants his character to be invisible and have infinite ammo (me as a child playing MegaMan), he complains, bitches and moans but when he gets it he get bored because it's not longer interesting. Same principle here. It's not a bad thing to listen to your fans but it's also not a good idea to cave to their every whim. And if I remember correctly it was the average gamer who suggested all the things we've seen changed and if there is a less reliable source of feedback it is them.

There is also the possibility that I'm blaming the wrong people, it might've been corporate influence that did this or the change in directors because, as I said before, these new elements, like an open world (small or not), crafting bench, those dialogue options with the shitty animation, all scream western AAA game (I don't think I've ever seen those in a Japanese game). Yeah, the worked here but I'm not sure it was for the best. It could also be as simple as the game needing just a bit more time in production. They've been at it for 3 years but maybe one more year could've done wonders all around.

I wish I could write Mikami a letter letting him know what I think but he probably gets a shit load of those all the time. It'd just get lost in the pile. I don't hate this game, in fact, I rather enjoy it, but it's not living to it's potential and I'd like to let him know that I think they could do better, that I've seem him and his team do better. This game is good but it could've be outstanding if it hadn't given up the things that made the original what it is, if it hadn't removed some much of it's personality and tried to substitute it with this one, which is the worst thing to happen to Seb since the fire.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Shadows/Damned
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Postby zombifiers » Oct 18, 2017 2:32 pm

This game is good but it could've be outstanding if it hadn't given up the things that made the original what it is, if it hadn't removed some much of it's personality and tried to substitute it with this one, which is the worst thing to happen to Seb since the fire.

Berto you brilliant man, you just put into a single sentence exactly what is wrong with this game.

TEW2 is too sanitized compared to TEW1--like you said, it's missing a lot of its own core horror elements; it's accessible and weirdly "clean", which makes me laugh about all the weird goo white stuff as the central imagery in this game. It's literally white washing-it's erasing and diluting a lot of the grimier, gorier, unsettling elements that made TEW1 as visceral and unique a horror experience as it was. It was like Hellraiser thrown into a blender with Dark Souls' scattered narrative, and a 1970s grindhouse horror pastiche.

TEW2 was absolutely nothing like any of that.
zombifiers
irl necromancer

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak