Comparing TEW1 vs TEW2

(Discuss the game)

Comparing TEW1 vs TEW2

Postby extravagant » Oct 26, 2017 1:30 am

TEW1 is overall a much more grittier game, but it's not perfect. Many glitches, many LOL! moment, and TEW1 had many glitchy moments, and TEW1 was very linear, but it was still unique and great in its own way. From the voice acting of Anson Mount and original Kidman VA, to the Ruvik\Leslie characters, Joseph Oda, etc, TEW1 had a very different flavor when compared to TEW2. The first game definitely has no "back tracking" moments like TEW2 does. TEW2 has a safe house, similar to the save room in classic RE. TEW2 has many back tracking moments like classic RE and the overall exploration in TEW2 feels like classic RE. (Which is great, imo) but places where TEW2 is failing on is too much stealth.

I'm literally playing through Nightmare mode stealth killing everyone (for the sake of survival horror and ammo conservation), and it seems like with the game so much only on stealth it takes away from some of the suffocating scenarios that made TEW1 so great. I also miss the matches and burning bodies. I also miss the bear traps.

What surprises me is there is no Akumu in TEW2. I miss that a lot despite that mode being the biggest asshole in survival horror history.

So what's your guy's opinions on TEW1 vs TEW2? Is it enemy and level design? Music? Characters?
extravagant

Favorite Title: REmake, The Evil

Re: Comparing TEW1 vs TEW2

Postby extravagant » Oct 26, 2017 1:50 am

Another two things that bother me about TEW2 is that the game itself focuses sooooo much on stealth, yet there's time you can be in trouble for doing stealth kills. This has to do with stealth killing and then other enemies can see you stealth killing their homie so they come after you. TEW1 was designed so that if you stealth kill someone you were rewarded and it wasn't common for other enemies to just randomly look at you. It's not that their were blind by lazy AI, it's just designed so that if you stealth kill you wouldn't get caught easily.

TEW2 has many moments where the stealth kill animation was way too long and you get caught because of the sequence is so slow.

Another thing is the unskippable cut scenes on replay mode. After the first time, it could get boring. I don't want to see all the story when I know it already. I want to skip. But hey, unskippable cut scenes is classic RE trait... although, it's subjective whether that is good or not in this specific department.
extravagant

Postby SutterCane » Oct 26, 2017 4:17 am

I can't help but compare them, I think it might be unfair. I actually like the lengthy stealth kill animations, besides you can shorten them by purchasing the predator skill.

When I compare the sequel to more similar games like Alone in the Dark 2006 or TLOU or whatever I do tend to find myself preferring TEW2 to those games. Also I do think it did backtracking better than almost anything released since Re0, at least for Chapter 3-8. Stealth mechanics and the game being designed around them does undercut pretty much everything though. The game was openly designed to be much easier in all aspects and in that I guess they succeeded at the expense of being less interesting overall for people that don't throw their hands up in frustration the first time they don't immediately grasp something.

You bring up a good point about unskippable cutscenes, they suck but at the same time you can't avoid them because almost every survival horror is stuffed full of them or QTE cutscenes.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Postby Kimurion » Oct 26, 2017 8:56 am

What do you mean unskipable cutscenes? I'm pretty sure you can skip them all. Sometimes it takes a few long seconds of pressing the button for it to appear and be able to skip but you can skip them.

I agree about the lack of Akumu mod tho. I never doubted it would be there, so I was really disapointed. Because right now I've compeleted the game on nightmare and it's the highest difficulty so no more challenges. I know there is the classic mod, but not everyone can afford to have 3 hours-long game sessions. So I'm never going to be able to play that. I don't care about the infinite ammo but that means no platinum trophy for me. Also no model viewer was harsh. It was great to have a good look at ennemies you usually concentrate on running away from. I mean on my first playthrough of the first game, on the first few Laura encounters I littarlly never looked at her because she was screaming and overall too scary for me to take just a second to turn and look. I did the whole section where you have to activate... machineries to burn her without even seeing her lmao. That's how scary she was.
Another thing the sequel cruelly lack is the traps, as you mentioned. It was in my opinion a very important feature of the first game. You would always be careful and stressed walking around a new zone because of that. And that moment you were running away from a ennemy and you got caught in a bear trap was always making my heart pump harder. There is also not as much focus on the ennemies than in the first game. Well the sequel focus more on the protagonist and his kid, so I guess that's why Stefano and Theodore felt so numb, add to that they had to share the spotlight. I exepcted more from them. At least Myra saved the game in the regard of amazing final boss fight.

Something that I like about the sequel tho, and wasn't in the first game, is the " cinematic " feel. Yes I know the first game is supposed to feel that way but it didn't for me, not like the second game. I was playing last night and my sister watched me while talking and she was impressed by how cinematic it looked. She said it felt sometimes like it was a cutscene but it was gameplay, and it was just me taking out common losts in Union in chapter 3. Sebastian is not just walking around and shooting, he really feels alive. Like when you push a heavy object and continue going and he press his wrist because it hurted. That kind of thing. The stealth animations are badass, I like the fact he keeps turning around when being chased etc.

Overall, I really like both games. They're different - and that's a unpopular opnion I'm aware - but I like it that way. They never said the second game would be as gruesome as the first, I remember they said it would be more psychological and artisitc, something like that. I like it. If I want a game like the first one, I will just play the first one again. I wanted a sequel that would feel different, but still feel like an Evil Within game, and they delivered.
Kimurion

Steam: Kimurion

Postby dan76 » Oct 26, 2017 2:26 pm

For me there are only two things that 2 does better than 1.

First is the performance, way smoother experience than the first (though hit detection when an enemy is close up is nonexistant). Plus I've had a few crashes. This is the main reason I won't bother with Classic.

The second is it brings back that feeling of exploration, building the map. That was one of the great things about the early RE's. It gives real sense of progression. I loved the maps in 2. Loved the Marrow sections, loved figuring out where to go in chapter 3 and the business district.

Everything else is a step down from the original. Enemy designs were lacking, less variation. Simple AI that can be exploited. Rather than designing different styles of encounters they basically made some maps, dropped enemies into them and let the player take them on however they wanted (which was usually stealth because it's the easiest).

The game is too easy, not scary, lacks atmosphere. It's almost like it doesn't want to be a scary game, it wants to be a game about a twit finding his daughter... Well, yeah, the story is terrible and terribly told.

Seb looks, sounds and acts differently to how he did in the first game. So why not make a new character? I'd have rather played Kidman going in to find Sebs daughter than this snivelling douche.

Too many cut scenes. You can't skip them all, quite often you have to sit through conversations. What the hell is up with the walk and talk with Torres. What's the point of that? Why not make it a cut scene so you can skip it if you like.

It's a good game, just a bit... light weight after the first. I hope they add an extra difficulty or a mercenaries mode. I'd buy dlc if they make it.

But this doesn't feel like a sequel. It seems like a spin off, like one of the Revelations games.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Autoignition » Oct 26, 2017 9:03 pm

There's no comparison. TEW2 isn't fit to shine TEW1's shoes. Narrative, visuals, art direction, pacing, gameplay -- everything is inferior to the original.

Whoever told Bethesda that classic survival horror is defined by a complete and utter lack of resources needs to have the game cases of Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 2 -- the quintessential classic survival horror games -- thrown at their fucking heads. SH2 and RE2 left you swimming in resources. I remember running around both games with like 200-400 handgun bullets at all times and no one to use them on.

Atmosphere. Art direction. Enemy encounters. That's what makes a classic survival horror game. Not leaving you high and dry and forcing you to play a shittier MGS. Jesus.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby SutterCane » Oct 27, 2017 3:05 am

Autoignition wrote:There's no comparison. TEW2 isn't fit to shine TEW1's shoes. Narrative, visuals, art direction, pacing, gameplay -- everything is inferior to the original.

Whoever told Bethesda that classic survival horror is defined by a complete and utter lack of resources needs to have the game cases of Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 2 -- the quintessential classic survival horror games -- thrown at their fucking heads. SH2 and RE2 left you swimming in resources. I remember running around both games with like 200-400 handgun bullets at all times and no one to use them on.

Atmosphere. Art direction. Enemy encounters. That's what makes a classic survival horror game. Not leaving you high and dry and forcing you to play a shittier MGS. Jesus.

This hits on something I get a huge amount of joy out of and is likely the main reason I played through the original so many times. Done well resource management gameplay adds so much to a game like this for me.

Here's what is really crap about TEW2's resource management, it's unnecessary. You could get through the entire game fine using nothing. I had this same problem with RE7 too which would drop the gameplay in favour of set pieces, Outlast style sneaking or progress resets.

In RE2, yeah it gives you a lot of ammo but you have every reason to use it in a game that has some of the highest zombie density of old RE. If I really want tight resource management there I can limit myself to only using the shotgun or picking up a hard mode version. Good resource management gameplay should be about giving you every reason to use what you have and not simply giving you nothing.

Where do I go with a game that's perfectly fine when I have nothing?
SutterCane

Postby extravagant » Oct 27, 2017 4:42 am

I really don't like how enemies spot you, then you can run away and they'll just lose you so easily even though they're right in front of your face! The exploitable stealth AIs and exploiting the Safe Room were.... meh

However exploiting safe rooms existed since RE1... lol
extravagant

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Oct 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Interesting OP!

I still do want to play TEW2 one day...sounds like they nailed the feeling of exploration, and I think one of the replies compares the feeling of exploration to RE0, one of my fav. RE games, which has me excited!

As of this post, I have TEW1 installed on my PC, so if I miss it, I can go back to it easily...I feel ready to play TEW2, warts and all
ProgenitorCastle

Postby SutterCane » Oct 29, 2017 8:13 am

ProgenitorCastle wrote:Interesting OP!

I still do want to play TEW2 one day...sounds like they nailed the feeling of exploration, and I think one of the replies compares the feeling of exploration to RE0, one of my fav. RE games, which has me excited!

As of this post, I have TEW1 installed on my PC, so if I miss it, I can go back to it easily...I feel ready to play TEW2, warts and all

I think I compared it to RE0. I meant that the game had the good sense to not get rid of it's enemies because of plot points. If you are going to have backtracking and you get rid of the enemies you placed in the location before then you've defeated every mechanical positive backtracking had. In TEW2 enemies stick around until you kill them and then they don't, it's pretty good about that for a while. RE7 by comparison cocks that element up preferring to turn backtracking into a lazy chore with either replacements or nothing in place of enemies you left alive. You shouldn't be able to kill an enemy by walking past it is my thinking.
SutterCane

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak