Any Narrative Significance to Asset Reuse in TEW2?

(Discuss the game)

Any Narrative Significance to Asset Reuse in TEW2?

Postby SutterCane » Nov 25, 2017 6:38 am

I noticed when I was playing through TEW2 my second time through that there was some asset reuse between the Castellanos house and general STEM. Certain rugs that appeared in Seb's house would appear in various houses. I thought that made sense, that Lily who was creating Union would put in items that were familiar to her. I only really picked up on this because I thought they were pretty cool rugs. It took me a while but I eventually realised that these rugs were actually taken from Ruvik's mansion in TEW1, after I noticed that I started to notice that TEW2 reused wallpaper from his mansion too in certain places. I also think I've noticed some Elk River wallpaper and carpets too but I'm less certain on those.

So what are your thoughts on this, cost saving or significant to the game's story?
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Re: Any Narrative Significance to Asset Reuse in TEW2?

Postby Autoignition » Nov 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Cost saving. The most egregious instance of asset reuse is the fact that Mobius's STEM terminal is just Beacon's basement with touched up textures and lighting. And since that's in the real world, there's no STEM fuckery to ~make you think~ about why they look so similar. It's just your run of the mill everyday asset reuse. There's nothing significant about it narratively.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby SutterCane » Nov 26, 2017 8:50 am

Playing RE1 it popped into my head. That's that then. I don't mind the reuse but I want to have missed something with TEW2.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Postby Autoignition » Nov 26, 2017 4:25 pm

We all want that, man. We all want that.

There is one tiny little thing that I think a lot of people missed, though. I'll have a new thread up soon. Stay tuned.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak