Real Puzzles, anyone?

(Discuss the game)

Should Project Zwei include real puzzles?

Yes, I love hard puzzles in addition to some straight forward ones
95%
Maybe easy, straight forward ones only
5%
No, I don't like puzzles at all!
No votes

Total votes : 19

Real Puzzles, anyone?

Postby SteeLisPain7 » Nov 28, 2012 7:26 pm

It's been a while since a mainstream horror game attempted at having good puzzles in them, and I don't mean something like Silent Hill Downpour puzzles where you mostly "look for a code" written somewhere, I mean real puzzles that force you to think and make you feel opressed until you beat them, if you played any of the older Resident Evil and Silent Hill games you'd get my idea; here are some examples of what I am talking about

On a personal note, I personally would love to have puzzles in that style, I like thinking through these sort of things, for me it is really satifying to beat a puzzle that requires some time and thought to solve, for me it get the player more into the gameplay since you use your intelligence and intuition to help the characters in the game to survive their nightmares; with that being said I understand that most of gamers nowadays like it real easy when it comes to puzzles and would most likely not like the concept, so I wouldn't mind puzzles that require some thinking, but they don't all have to be like the water sample puzzle from Resident Evil 3 (yeah, alot of people got stumbed on that one, me included) though keep in mind that having hard puzzles doesn't necessiarly means that straight forward puzzles wouldn't be included, I personally liked older Resident Evil and Silent Hill games for having a variety of puzzles :)

So...are you in for some real puzzles? or have easy ones? or not at all?
Last edited by SteeLisPain7 on Dec 01, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteeLisPain7

Re: Real Puzzles, anyone?

Postby Blood-Curse62 » Nov 28, 2012 8:04 pm

I like puzzles but they should not so easy and not so hard
Like the piano's puzzle in Silent Hill 1, including metaphor
A puzzle with a link with the story and not simply puzzle as in Resident Evil 4
I'm french so I'm sorry if there are mistakes in my posts
Blood-Curse62

Postby SteeLisPain7 » Nov 28, 2012 8:36 pm

Blood-Curse62 wrote:I like puzzles but they should not so easy and not so hard

I agree with you on that, and they should also help to add to the "opressed" feeling too, so I wouldn't mind having puzzles that doesn't connect to the story aswell as puzzles that do connect to it :)
SteeLisPain7

Postby Cyberote » Nov 29, 2012 6:27 pm

This fucking thing... I HATED this puzzle! I still do!

I'm all for having puzzling... puzzles. It adds a sense of vulnerability that's different from the usual vulnerability you feel from the enemies. Running from enemies is physical, but puzzles are mental. The feeling of knowing you're going to be stuck somewhere for all eternity unless you figure out that puzzle is a very chilling feeling.
Cyberote

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » Dec 05, 2012 8:33 am

Ha
Blood-Curse62 wrote:I like puzzles but they should not so easy and not so hard

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Games like Haunting Ground had disturbing puzzles that fit the atmosphere in the castle and the addition of seeing her thoughts when encountering helps in the immersion of seeing the world in Fionna's shoes.

Galerians also had a brilliant way to deliver puzzles because your psychic powers showed the solution in an obscure way that required some thinking to progress. The presentations followed the MO similar to the Matrix scene that explained your decision is already made but you have to understand why you did it.
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Postby Nemesis85 » Feb 28, 2013 5:00 am

I want puzzles like in RE 2 and 3, where you were under pressure of either time or by being chased by a zombie, that were simple in nature, but at that moment, you couldn't focus and your heart beet was on fire. On the other hand, again referring to early series of RE, I like puzzles that you have to rearrange items, or to wonder around,find different parts of a machine, put them together and,walla, you would hear a "Click" that was like winning a jackpot. What I liked the most and really like to see again was the ability to "Combine" or "Separate" a found item in your inventory, and you had the ability to find 2,3,or more items, tare them apart, combine different parts and act accordingly.
Nemesis85

Postby NinesVoerman » Feb 28, 2013 5:52 am

I want some of the Resident Evil 2/3 puzzles that are easy but at the time they seem so hard because of pressure. Then I want some of the puzzles like Silent HILL 2'S hanged man puzzle. That really challenge you while also creeping you out.
NinesVoerman

Postby kimgren » Mar 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Almost everyone seems to be in agreement. It was to long since we last enjoyed a "real" puzzle. I dont really see the point in more mainstream puzzles (easy ones) as the solution always is just a click away in your webbrowser anyway.In the hard old day, without the internet, you were stuck for real. But the feeling when you solved a puzzle was hard to beat. Sometimes you didn´t even beat the puzzles. A time when beating a game was more than another throphy in your collection.

Lets hope for a real challange again.
kimgren

Postby Nemesis85 » Mar 09, 2013 4:29 am

As other people mentioned before, i think there is a consensus idea about the natures of puzzles game-players are willing to see, but where the puzzles are, how the puzzles are intertwined with the story, and what happens after solving a puzzle play a key role in making a puzzle more exciting and intriguing. I remember in RE 2 and 3, where just finding one small key gave me thrill and satisfaction, and the thought of what will happen next, what is behind the door was the best and biggest incentive to continue playing. Although I doubt to see these small and glorious details again in future RE series, but I will keep my fingers crossed.
Peace.
Nemesis85

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 09, 2013 6:54 am

I'm keeping my expectations VERY low with regards to puzzles. I've said it before, but this is a massive investment by Bethesda, and like all massive investments these days, it will target the mainstream audience, not the classic horror fanbase.

Which means you should expect streamlined gameplay, and no "getting stuck" moments like puzzles, I honestly think ZWEI is going the way of RE4 instead of Classic RE, its just a hunch, but that seems "safer" in today's market, from a publisher/developer point of view.

So seeing people wanting Fixed cameras and "real" puzzles makes me think they are most likely setting themselves up for disappointment.
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak