http://imgur.com/a/12X5F

All Characters

http://imgur.com/a/M2Pl8

Enemies

http://imgur.com/a/Fzx5r

Bosses And Special Enemies

http://imgur.com/a/GHG1D

http://theevilwithining.imgur.com/

I have been playing it for the last two days now. I completed chapter 5 last night.
System: PS3

Graphics:
First of all as most of you know now most games with the ID5 engine has texture loading issues but I can assure you this game doesn't. Graphically its decent but feels not polished enough. There are some bugs as well (clipping mostly). Except those the graphics are not consistent, with some filters (there are some red filters and blue ones at certain scenes) the game looks awesome at times and very decent sometimes. Its just not polished well. After the Digital Foundry article we will see but I believe the game runs around 25fps most times. That's the feeling it gives at least.

Sound:

Sound design is very well done, but I can't say I liked the voice work much. It feels like a decent Hollywood action flick if you know what I mean. Sounds are well done, that's you can clearly understand if an enemy is far or close, you don't even need to see them. Music's are good too, i only heard classical music but it brings the tension up and makes you jumpy.

Controls:

Controls are tight and well done. Just like Resident Evil 4 for those who are wondering (In terms of tightness). You can issue your weapons, grenades and items to directional pad and select them with one touch of the button. If inventory is brought up the game doesn't stops but goes into slow motion (really slow) so you can do whatever you want in the middle of the combat.

Now for some gameplay mechanics and details:

-Stealth is really a valid option in this game. I completed one chapter completely stealthy.
-Enemies are very quick to react to sounds. This works both ways, you can manipulate them using empty bottles (You can throw them) or by kicking doors. They tend to lose your ''scent'' quickly though in open areas, you can quickly run away and hide.
-Melee weapons are very brutal and useful though after one use they are broken. Melee weapons are also one hit one kill for normal enemies (Haunted).
-While they said ammo is very scarce, i had no problems up until so Chapter 5 as i stealth killed most enemies.
-Mini bosses tend to be much harder to kill and you usually use your ammo on them as they are brutal and follow you relentlessly.
-There are many kind of traps in the game. Bear trap, motion sensor bombs, booby trap bombs. You can pick to disarm them for parts (which you make arrows for your crossbow) or you can manipulate enemies into them. Its up to you.
-There are little statues. Shoot them as they give you keys. You can use those keys to open lockers in game's hub place and get gifts (ammo, gel, etc.)
-The game really has that survival horror feeling. Its the much deserved following to Resident Evil 4 so far and gives you much freedom with how you want to play the game.
-Crossbow is your all around weapon.

I will update as i play more. If you have any questions, ask please.

UPGRADE LIST SO FAR: (Contains Screens Taken in Game of the Upgrade List So Far)

http://imgur.com/a/Klac2
Last edited by Abyss on Oct 10, 2014 6:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
Abyss

Re: Evil Within Impressions (Upgrades Screens)(Spoilerfree)

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 08, 2014 4:54 am

Thanks man! (And welcome to the forums).

It sounding great so far, I can't say I didn't see the lack of polish and bugs coming, it was clear from the videos we've seen... Unfortunate but no deal breaker.

Seeing as you completed 5 chapters so far, how is the game all around? To give some perspective, how does it compare to the beginning of games like RE4 and TLoU?
Rikitatsu

Postby Abyss » Oct 08, 2014 5:26 am

Rikitatsu wrote:Thanks man! (And welcome to the forums).

It sounding great so far, I can't say I didn't see the lack of polish and bugs coming, it was clear from the videos we've seen... Unfortunate but no deal breaker.

Seeing as you completed 5 chapters so far, how is the game all around? To give some perspective, how does it compare to the beginning of games like RE4 and TLoU?

You are welcome and thank you. I wanted to share my impressions with fellow RE4 fans.

I believe the graphical consistency problems are related to the current gen version of the game. Because RAGE, Wolfenstein all had graphical problems mostly related to texture loading on current gen systems. But for next gen, i think none will be there so the game will be much more better. By the way the game doesn't have texture streaming problems but the problem with it mainly is the consistency and performance related.

I would say the game's pacing is much more like Resident Evil 4 and nothing like TLOU (which starts really slow and keeps that way up until %35 percent maybe). I would say the game is awesome all around. Its really a worthy successor to Resident Evil 4 in my opinion. And it even develops on it (stealth, upgrading is more fleshed in terms of your character)

I also started to like the story which is a surprise because i never liked Resident Evil' s stories. This game has a more serious tone, its more of a psychological story which makes you doubt about your sanity. I am on Ch.6 and still i honestly don't know what the fuck is going on.

And as for your question dear sir, have no worries. Its the true successor to Resident Evil 4 and could be even better than that maybe.
Abyss

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 08, 2014 5:29 am

Its the true successor to Resident Evil 4 and could be even better than that maybe.

Those are some big words! :shock: Awesome! Keep us posted, curious to know if the game doesn't let up it's pacing in the next 10 chapters.
Rikitatsu

Postby Abyss » Oct 08, 2014 5:33 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
Its the true successor to Resident Evil 4 and could be even better than that maybe.

Those are some big words! :shock: Awesome! Keep us posted, curious to know if the game doesn't let up it's pacing in the next 10 chapters.

I will, i started playing again. You said 10 chapters do we know how many chapters in the game? And also my play time so far is 3:39:03. Also i take my time and try to find every item.
Abyss

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 08, 2014 5:39 am

Abyss wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:

I will, i started playing again. You said 10 chapters do we know how many chapters in the game? And also my play time so far is 3:39:03. Also i take my time and try to find every item.

I think they've said 15 chapters.

And 3:39:03 is pretty short for 5 chapters, I knew Bethesda was exaggerating with the "15-20 hours" claim. I bet it will clock around 10 hours in reality. (Like Wolfenstien).
Rikitatsu

Postby Slit08 » Oct 08, 2014 5:52 am

Hey there! :)

This is my first post here and your detailed impression thread made me create my own account.

First of all: Aren't there 16 chapters in this game? I am not so sure right now since you wrote 15, but I initially thought it would be 16 chapters.

Anyways would it be okay to ask you a few more spoilerish questions that you could put into spoiler boxes so that noone will read those if he doesn't want to? I even put my question related to some spoilerish things into said boxes.

While I don't want to get spoiled with how certain puzzles work (basically the solution to puzzles) nor with events I'm a bit more interested in the enemies and infos regarding those would rather hype me even more for its release.
You certainly discovered the enemy category on this board. Which of the enemies described there and maybe even yet unknown enemies did you face during the first 5 chapters? The regular Haunted are a given. I guess the Tentacle Heads will show up as well as will the Sadist as I read about him beign a boss/ miniboss during chapter 3 in an old Gameinformer article.
Did you encounter the dogs yet, two headed haunted etc?

Were there any real bosses in this game so far as you only talked about minibosses?
Slit08

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4

Postby Abyss » Oct 08, 2014 6:57 am

Riki, that is what i think as well. I am guessing it will take 10 to 12 hours.

Slit08 wrote:Hey there! :)

This is my first post here and your detailed impression thread made me create my own account.

First of all: Aren't there 16 chapters in this game? I am not so sure right now since you wrote 15, but I initially thought it would be 16 chapters.

Anyways would it be okay to ask you a few more spoilerish questions that you could put into spoiler boxes so that noone will read those if he doesn't want to? I even put my question related to some spoilerish things into said boxes.

While I don't want to get spoiled with how certain puzzles work (basically the solution to puzzles) nor with events I'm a bit more interested in the enemies and infos regarding those would rather hype me even more for its release.
You certainly discovered the enemy category on this board. Which of the enemies described there and maybe even yet unknown enemies did you face during the first 5 chapters? The regular Haunted are a given. I guess the Tentacle Heads will show up as well as will the Sadist as I read about him beign a boss/ miniboss during chapter 3 in an old Gameinformer article.
Did you encounter the dogs yet, two headed haunted etc?

Were there any real bosses in this game so far as you only talked about minibosses?

Hello there and welcome. The following contains some detailed info about enemies i encountered, one or two mini bosses and a boss.

I haven't encountered with dogs yet. No creature types which is like an animal at all. The enemies i encountered
-Regular haunteds. There are some variations to it. Different genders, with and without weapons (some carry melee weapons while rare ones carry sawed off shotguns), barbed wired ones.
-Fat haunteds. Some of them are with melee weapons and some are not.
-Sadist (if that means the chainsaw one, i don't know as i went playing blind). He has a chainsaw, he acts like a mini boss, hard to kill, but doesn't one shots you anyway, at least not on normal difficulty. Bulletsponge.
-The long black haired woman which has many arms and looks like the girl from the Ring. She hunts you at one chapter and at the end of the 5th one, you fight her. The fight is basically a very simple puzzle.
-The ones that are connected to an experiment machine whose heads are tied to it by some organics. You fight them after the 5th Chapter boss before the chapter ends. They are like reguler haunteds but you need to cut their ties while they are down. Maybe they count as mini bosses.

Sorry for terrible description, as i went in blind i don't know most of their names.
When it comes to puzzles, puzzles are akin to RE4 not the ones before. They are simple, usually i am decent with puzzles and the game's puzzles are easy i would say. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Abyss

Postby Slit08 » Oct 08, 2014 7:05 am

Thanks a lot. Sounds like there's a lot of variation in these first 5 chapters as they provide fighting, stealth, puzzles and exploration all the same.
You actually fight her as well? I just know the section from piediepie's video where he came to that one room where she pops out and you run away from her, dodging trapwire traps on your escape and finally runnign towards a closing door.
I guess after that there's an actual fight where you have to hurt her? (don't tell though how she's hurt, rather interested if we are basically in a closed space and have to somehow hurt her before being able to move on, which in my oppinion defines a boss fight whereas a simple escape is not a boss fight).

Hmm maybe you can add something similiar about enemies and bosses in a spoielr box after you've played the next 10 chapters.

Thanks again, I am hyped. :)
Slit08

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4

Postby Abyss » Oct 08, 2014 7:16 am

Slit08 wrote:
Thanks a lot. Sounds like there's a lot of variation in these first 5 chapters as they provide fighting, stealth, puzzles and exploration all the same.
You actually fight her as well? I just know the section from piediepie's video where he came to that one room where she pops out and you run away from her, dodging trapwire traps on your escape and finally runnign towards a closing door.
I guess after that there's an actual fight where you have to hurt her? (don't tell though how she's hurt, rather interested if we are basically in a closed space and have to somehow hurt her before being able to move on, which in my oppinion defines a boss fight whereas a simple escape is not a boss fight).

Hmm maybe you can add something similiar about enemies and bosses in a spoielr box after you've played the next 10 chapters.

Thanks again, I am hyped. :)

Yes. You
actually fight her. Its not the escape part i am talking about. You need to fight and kill her.

You are welcome and yes that is how i feel. All those are in the game. Stealth, action, horror, some puzzles (very simple though). And the story seems really interesting.
Abyss

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak