The media review thread. Embargo ends at midnight 10/13.

(Discuss the game)

The media review thread. Embargo ends at midnight 10/13.

Postby dvader » Oct 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Reviews should all come up on midnight tomorrow. I will post links to all reviews here. In the mean time one UK site bought the game themselves and reviewed it.

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/the_e ... eview.html

Says it is a great mix of RE4 and SH. Incredible action, fun to play but doesnt match the highs of RE4. Also says it sags a bit in the middle.

Your foes – whose tactics are essentially the same as the ganados in Resi 4 – work perfectly in these dreamscape worlds: they just keep coming.

Mikami, more than perhaps anyone, understands that the secret to gunplay and enemy encounters is crafting weapons that are actually tools, with specific functions, not just bang-bang power fantasies. The Evil Within’s environments are cramped, dangerous, and oppressive. But they’re also that to your enemies. Best laid plans will often go wrong, but the maxim remains: use your weapons and items wisely.

Failure to do so will result in death, and you’ll probably die a few times anyway as a matter of course. Enemies are tough and intelligent, moving in packs and swarming the player, using melee and ranged weapons to box Sebastian in. Their resilience – a well-placed shotgun shell to the face sometimes isn’t enough – is at the heart of their danger. In a nod to Resi remake’s Crimson Heads, one of the few times players will feel safe is after burning downed foes. Even then, matches are at a premium.

There’s a satisfaction to combat that feels distinctly Mikami – every encounter is a test, a potential last stand, and it takes true skill to come out alive. Choices have to be made – do you use the various tricks and traps against your enemy, or break them down into ammo for your multi-purpose bow? It’s up to you, which makes combat so much fun.

It’s these elements that drag you through a game that is, on the face of it, exhausting to play. Even when it isn’t at its best, you’ll want to press on. It sags considerably in the middle, unable to match Resi 4’s superb pacing and letting some rather uninspired environments get in the way.
dvader

Re: The media review thread. Embargo ends at midnight 10/13.

Postby dvader » Oct 12, 2014 2:40 pm

So it is time for hype to come back to earth. We have seen enough reaction to tell this is not RE4 reborn, this is not redefining a genre, its just a really great game and that is fine. I bet some of us will go crazy for it, it maybe some of our GOTY picks. But in general we should expect an 8 or so average from the reviews.
dvader

Postby gonzzCABJ » Oct 12, 2014 2:57 pm

dvader wrote:So it is time for hype to come back to earth. We have seen enough reaction to tell this is not RE4 reborn, this is not redefining a genre, its just a really great game and that is fine. I bet some of us will go crazy for it, it maybe some of our GOTY picks. But in general we should expect an 8 or so average from the reviews.

8/10 sounds like a good score comin' from a game out of this genre.
gonzzCABJ

Favorite Title: Silent Hill
PSN: gonzzCABJ
Steam: gonzzCABJ

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Didn't we have someone who said it's better than RE4? Again, opinions. I don't think I particularly value Videogamer's opinion over Abyss.

I'll play the game and see for myself whether it's "RE4 Reborn" or something else.
Rikitatsu

Postby gonzzCABJ » Oct 12, 2014 3:09 pm

For me it will DEFINITELY be better than RE4. Specially because I've never loved RE4. I will always have it as the game that changed things, from Survival Horror to the Action oriented. It's not a bad game, but I never really liked it that much.
gonzzCABJ

Postby Dark_Chris » Oct 12, 2014 3:15 pm

The Evil Within is an action horror game just like RE4 was with some very creepy parts. That doesn't mean TEW is a bad game, not at all. I loved RE4 so I'm gonna love TEW, but If you looking for the real survivor horror game go and buy Alien Isolation.
Dark_Chris

Favorite Title: REmake

Postby Yulia » Oct 12, 2014 3:22 pm

gonzzCABJ wrote:For me it will DEFINITELY be better than RE4. Specially because I've never loved RE4. I will always have it as the game that changed things, from Survival Horror to the Action oriented. It's not a bad game, but I never really liked it that much.

The same's here)) RE4 was more shooter than horror and I never liked shooters. That's why I think unperfect aiming is a good thing actually))
Yulia

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 12, 2014 3:26 pm

I want a game thats scary, but fun. I don;t want to be playing a game thats too scary I don't want to carry on, Nearly hat that with outlast. Its having the right balance. Like Resi4 did. Some bits nearly made me poop myself, others I could tell something was gonna happen.. and didn't want to go further, but due to the story I did push through and felt acomplishment for doing it.
DaveOfTheDead87

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

Postby gonzzCABJ » Oct 12, 2014 3:27 pm

Dark_Chris wrote:The Evil Within is an action horror game just like RE4 was with some very creepy parts. That doesn't mean TEW is a bad game, not at all. I loved RE4 so I'm gonna love TEW, but If you looking for the real survivor horror game go and buy Alien Isolation.

They still ain't the same thing (speaking about RE4 and TEW). Well, I can't be sure, not yet, as I haven't played the game. But RE4 was more like a Hollywood movie with some creepy scenes, while TEW looks a lot more disturbing in every possible way and with darker scenarios.
gonzzCABJ

Postby dvader » Oct 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Didn't we have someone who said it's better than RE4? Again, opinions. I don't think I particularly value Videogamer's opinion over Abyss.

I'll play the game and see for myself whether it's "RE4 Reborn" or something else.

If it really was better than RE4 people would be going crazy for it. We wouldn't hear the end of it. Reviews would all be 9s and 10s. That is clearly not happening. Of course some people will like it more than RE4 but it won't be the general consensus. When I say it is not better than RE4 I don't mean it as a direct comparison as much as I mean it being that level of loved and respected as a monumental game that will be talked about as one of the greatest games of all time.
dvader

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak