The media review thread. Embargo ends at midnight 10/13.

(Discuss the game)

Re: The media review thread. Embargo ends at midnight 10/13.

Postby dvader » Oct 12, 2014 3:44 pm

New review, another 8/10.

http://www.readersgambit.com/evil-within-review/

PROS
- Great Atmosphere
- Terrifying Enemies
CONS
- Buggy
- Frustrating Camera Angles
dvader

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 12, 2014 3:44 pm

dvader wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:Didn't we have someone who said it's better than RE4? Again, opinions. I don't think I particularly value Videogamer's opinion over Abyss.

I'll play the game and see for myself whether it's "RE4 Reborn" or something else.

If it really was better than RE4 people would be going crazy for it. We wouldn't hear the end of it. Reviews would all be 9s and 10s. That is clearly not happening. Of course some people will like it more than RE4 but it won't be the general consensus. When I say it is not better than RE4 I don't mean it as a direct comparison as much as I mean it being that level of loved and respected as a monumental game that will be talked about as one of the greatest games of all time.

Well, it's impossible for TEW to have a fraction of the impact that RE4 had when it launched, that game's innovations were revolutionary and it was a technical marvel. While TEW doesn't seem to be doing anything new, and it's just decent on technical level. (Those animations are nasty, though).

TEW might end up better than RE4 game design-wise, but I don't think it will review as well, simply because it lacks the same impact RE4 had.
Rikitatsu

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 12, 2014 3:45 pm

dvader wrote:New review, another 8/10.

http://www.readersgambit.com/evil-within-review/

PROS
- Great Atmosphere
- Terrifying Enemies
CONS
- Buggy
- Frustrating Camera Angles

Overall The Evil Within returns the horror genre to its grass-roots, cramped in tight spaces hoping to god you weren’t spotted. It has all the features we have missed and have been asking for since Resident Evil 4 and Mikami has delivered on his promise of making a truly terrifying game. The only downfalls are that some niggles from his previous games remain unchanged. I loved the vast majority of The Evil Within and struggled to put the remote down for the 13 hour run time. It’s a great game and challenges you to manage resources and ensure you never miss a shot. Your throat and dinner will simultaneously find themselves in your throat and in the best way possible.

Sounds like what many of us have hoped for.
Rikitatsu

Postby dvader » Oct 12, 2014 3:50 pm

Yeah it does sound exactly what I am looking for. I am still super excited.
dvader

Postby FadedBlackangel » Oct 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Yea, from what I've seen and read it lacks the innovation RE4 had when it was released, but it seems like a solid game worth a day one purchase.

PSN: FadedBlackangel
XBL: FadedBlackangel
Wii U: FadedArchangel

Postby TheKillingJoke » Oct 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Sounds all good to me! In my opinion, 8/10 reviews are excellent for a game like this. RE4 at its time couldn't be compared to anything else, not even to previous RE games. When it came out, it was almost genre-redefining. People are automatically going to compare TEW with RE4 so it's only natural that TEW won't have the same impact.
TheKillingJoke

Favorite Title: REmake

Postby gonzzCABJ » Oct 12, 2014 4:54 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
dvader wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:Didn't we have someone who said it's better than RE4? Again, opinions. I don't think I particularly value Videogamer's opinion over Abyss.

I'll play the game and see for myself whether it's "RE4 Reborn" or something else.

If it really was better than RE4 people would be going crazy for it. We wouldn't hear the end of it. Reviews would all be 9s and 10s. That is clearly not happening. Of course some people will like it more than RE4 but it won't be the general consensus. When I say it is not better than RE4 I don't mean it as a direct comparison as much as I mean it being that level of loved and respected as a monumental game that will be talked about as one of the greatest games of all time.

Well, it's impossible for TEW to have a fraction of the impact that RE4 had when it launched, that game's innovations were revolutionary and it was a technical marvel. While TEW doesn't seem to be doing anything new, and it's just decent on technical level. (Those animations are nasty, though).

TEW might end up better than RE4 game design-wise, but I don't think it will review as well, simply because it lacks the same impact RE4 had.

It will all depend on personal tastes.
gonzzCABJ

Favorite Title: Silent Hill
PSN: gonzzCABJ
Steam: gonzzCABJ

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 12, 2014 5:13 pm

Bugs will be fixed and camera options might have a update later down the line, so it doesn't make me any less hyped, things like that are to be expectd and with tough camera angles.. well makes it more intense :D
DaveOfTheDead87

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

Postby gonzzCABJ » Oct 12, 2014 5:15 pm

DaveOfTheDead87 wrote:Bugs will be fixed and camera options might have a update later down the line, so it doesn't make me any less hyped, things like that are to be expectd and with tough camera angles.. well makes it more intense :D

I just hope for the frame-rate to behave as it should. From the get-going: it should work at 60fps on new-gen consoles, imho.
gonzzCABJ

Favorite Title: Silent Hill
PSN: gonzzCABJ
Steam: gonzzCABJ

Postby dvader » Oct 12, 2014 5:38 pm

A third 8/10

http://thisgengaming.com/2014/10/12/the ... in-review/

Pros
+Great atmosphere

+Intense encounters

+Varied levels

Mixed
+/- Stealth is good and bad in parts

Cons
-Long loading times

-Framerate issues