The General Impressions thread - follow spoiler rules.

(Discuss the game)

The General Impressions thread - follow spoiler rules.

Postby dvader » Oct 13, 2014 1:28 pm

It is finally here! Tonight many of us will begin playing The Evil Within and of course we will want to share our thoughts. This is the thread to talk about impressions as you play.

Now we all play the game at various speeds so we must be mindful of spoilers for all.

ALL SPOILERS, including gameplay, locations and story, must be tagged.

In order to let someone know what you are spoiling it is best you mention where in the game you are before the spoiler. A post should look like this:

Wow this game is really intense. I just finished chapter 3,
put your spoiler impressions here, boss battle details for example.

That way we know if it is safe to look at your spoiler or not.

Enjoy the game!!!
dvader

Re: The General Impressions thread - follow spoiler rules.

Postby dvader » Oct 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Abyss made a The Evil Within Spoiler thread. We could use that one as a thread to discuss the game openly with no spoiler tags. So if you want to dissect the story use that thread.
dvader

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 13, 2014 2:03 pm

I am on chapter 6 atm, and I am LOVING this game! had several scares, but loving every minute of it, had a scare what I thought my game was broken.. but touch woods I am playing again :D just what I wanted it to be
DaveOfTheDead87

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

Postby dan76 » Oct 13, 2014 5:02 pm

I'm playing the 360 version, just finished Chapter 3, play time approx 3:45.

Man, was I happy to see that package when I got in today. OK, so I'm loving the game so far. I was a bit concerned with pop up and glitches etc, but the game looks good to me. The cut scenes seem to have a bit of screen tearing, but not in game, that's the important thing. Pop up is sometimes more apparent than others. It doesn't have the level of polish that TLOU had, but it's solid - apart from one time I picked up a bottle and it remained sticking out of my wrist after using it...

Getting to know how the game works and learning the system has led to a lot of deaths - so I'm saving quite a bit. For me stealth has been tricky as the enemy movements aren't always obvious (maybe I'm too used to "listen mode" in TLOU). I'm mashing "A" way before the prompt might appear. I've mentioned TLOU twice, but this isn't like that at all. Even though there are many more ways to deal with enemies the spirit of RE4 pervades in it's deliberate design choices and pacing.

The way I'm playing is where possible I clear all enemies so I can freely explore - I think this is why my play time will be quite long. I'm really taking my time and exploring everything. I don't see any point in getting to the end as soon as possible - I've been waiting for this too long to want it to end any time soon.

I've had to turn the xbox off to let it rest for a bit, then back in at midnight.
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Basically doing the same Dan, been looking Everywhere, breaking Everything that I can. I know I have still missed a lot because sometime I didn't know where to go, wanted to explore but ended up, going to where I was meant to and getting locked from the other area lol.

What I think so far. I am up to chapter 9
So far its personally one of the best games I have played FOR YEARS, Its got everything. The suspense: (you know shits gonna hit the fan.. but when)
The Pure Brown trousers moments:
( I was in the barn with the chainsaw chappy. I ran up the ladder, to what I thought was safety. I thought, back in the old school days. He wouldn't be able to get up. I carried on getting items, when I noticed "why's it so damn quiet?" I turned around and saw him lunging at me.)
I nearly crapped myself!
Moments that make me laugh: Setting Light to a pig instead of a body :lol:, Seb's comments, and blasting Haunted's heads off

The story has really sparked off now.
I had a feeling things in sebs past were terrible, I wouldn't blame him for hitting the bottle after what happened

Can't wait to see the rest of it tomorrow.. so tempted to keep playing. Gonna have to play it several more times though to get my head around it all. It still feels like a bootiful nightmare that I am actually playing it... hasn't sunk in after all this time waiting for it :D

It really feels like after doing some of the areas.. I have slogged my guts out, heart racing, hands sweating, but its soo rewarding, missed that feeling with a game. Sometimes luck has just got me through some of the traps. Like the
50/50 door.
The one where the corridor is filled with spikes if you get the order wrong. I did it first time, spent several minutes messing around, then just ran for it.. and I got it right!
whoop

so far for *me* this is a 10/10 Survial horror. Great story. Mind bending. Suspense. Tactical, stealth, gore!! and your partner actually helps!! saved my ass several times :mrgreen:
DaveOfTheDead87

PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

Postby Terra2500 » Oct 14, 2014 1:26 am

Deleted post
Last edited by Terra2500 on Oct 14, 2014 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
When someone is miserable, they will need someone who is more miserable than them - Sebastian to Delsin (Crossover fic)
Terra2500

Favorite Title: Assassin Creed

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 14, 2014 2:09 am

I'm at chapter 4 so far.
Overall it's good, but I'm a little disappointed with the camera and overall polish. The camera in particular is really bad, especially in sneaking mode.

Did I mention that Chapter 1 and 2 are really bad? I hate crap like forced walking sections and forced stealth, I was really disappointed until chapter 3 where the game really began.

Chapter 1 and 2 are going to be such a drag for multiple playthroughs. Yeah, that's nowhere near RE4's pace. :(
Rikitatsu

Postby mohdfikree » Oct 14, 2014 3:00 am

Rikitatsu wrote:I'm at chapter 4 so far.
Overall it's good, but I'm a little disappointed with the camera and overall polish. The camera in particular is really bad, especially in sneaking mode.

Did I mention that Chapter 1 and 2 are really bad? I hate crap like forced walking sections and forced stealth, I was really disappointed until chapter 3 where the game really began.

Chapter 1 and 2 are going to be such a drag for multiple playthroughs. Yeah, that's nowhere near RE4's pace. :(

Depress Rikitatsu is depress.
mohdfikree

Favorite Title: The Last Of Us
PSN: Emiratendo
XBL: I HATE MICROSOFT
Wii U: MohdFikree
Steam: Emiratendo

Postby Terra2500 » Oct 14, 2014 4:26 am

Never mind...I guessed I just go on with my game...Now at chapter 14
When someone is miserable, they will need someone who is more miserable than them - Sebastian to Delsin (Crossover fic)
Terra2500

Favorite Title: Assassin Creed

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 14, 2014 5:11 am

Now I'm at chapter 6!
Damn, the game keeps getting better and better.

Also, headshots in this game are the best thing ever.
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak