The General Impressions thread - follow spoiler rules.

(Discuss the game)

Re: The General Impressions thread - follow spoiler rules.

Postby DizzyWithin » Oct 18, 2014 1:21 pm

Too bad.

RE4 Was barely survival horror, didn't scare me at all... Everyone is different! :D

Evil Within is much more atmospheric than RE4, and tries harder to scare you. You say it doesn't, which is kinda stupid.

Sorry you don't like it, I did.
DizzyWithin

Favorite Title: SH:1
PSN: tickldkfiifo
Steam: tickldkfiifo/diz

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 18, 2014 1:40 pm

same I was freaking out when I played nightmare when in the first part where you have to get away from the Sadist. I was hiding for ages, died several times as the AI was much better.. when I finally made it through to the other smaller room...
both ways of gettting to the door, where blocking... meaning I have to somehow lure him in there.. hoping it we break some of them.. to then sneak by.. or do in there get his attention and hopefully miss his blows
.. i was browning myself lol
DaveOfTheDead87

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

Postby gonzzCABJ » Oct 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Finished. 15:53:06 hours long of gameplay. 68 deaths.
It was a pretty awesome experience. Can't wait for the DLCs.
gonzzCABJ

Favorite Title: Silent Hill
PSN: gonzzCABJ
Steam: gonzzCABJ

Postby dan76 » Oct 18, 2014 10:52 pm

I've been replaying the game on nightmare difficulty and yes, some parts have been a real nightmare. I'm up to chapter 8, my least favourite chapter.

Chapters 5 & 6
Joseph's health has been reduced a lot. It becomes a bit of a pain having to heal him all the time. The sequence where Kidman is trapped was pretty bad because he runs all over the place getting himself into trouble. Shades if RE5.

Near the start of chapter 6 where Joseph has to deactivate some doors and you have to hold off a rush of Haunted - this was a real pain because of the camera. The game was glitching all over the place, enemies half in walls, the camera disappearing behind walls etc. Also, it was at this point I thought the game was really being unfair for the first time. Shotgun blasts were being ignored, icons for burning corpses were playing hide and seek. Very frustrating, plus it seemed that there were a lot more enemies. Still, I managed to scrape through it after about 7 or 8 tries.

As a side note, I had spent virtually all my ammo clearing out the enemies before the chapter 6 chainsaw boss fight. I didn't know what to do, thought I'd have to restart the previous chapter in order to try and save ammo. But the game always gives you options. I went round and disarmed all the remaining traps ( this took several tries to get them all!), made 4 explosive bolts - and did it. Wow.

Differences from survivor difficulty.
In chapter 3 a couple of the Haunted had shotguns - I didn't remember that from survivor difficulty. There was also one of those Ruvik clones wandering about.

In the Laura boss fight there weren't any exploding barrels. Very tough. Had to use matches and torches as well as the incinerators

In the first play through the fear came from not knowing what was coming, but knowing what's coming next with how little ammo you have is worse! I thought survivor was cutting it close but this is crazy, every shot counts.

I'm still not sure about the gun balancing. I think it would've been better to have the handgun slightly more powerful and accurate by default, and maybe counter that by not being able to upgrade so much. I've never been a fan of new-game+ modes but nightmare difficulty might actually be fun to play with upgraded weapons.
Last edited by dan76 on Oct 18, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 18, 2014 10:58 pm

I can't even get past the first part in nightmare where
you have to sneak the the sadist with the boxes blocking the path.
.might have to try again tomorrow, let my brain have a day off today lol
DaveOfTheDead87

PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

Postby Jdhussle82 » Oct 19, 2014 8:30 am

I'm on chapter 10. 13 hrs so far. I love the evil within because it's everything I want in a survival/horror game. Perfect mix of combat, story, puzzles, creepy enemies and atmosphere. I'm on the edge of my seat a lot of the time, especially during the combat. I hope we get a horde mode to add to the replay value. No timers please. I'm thinking different characters to play as. Variety of enemies slowly pour it getting thicker the longer we survive. Starting out with a melee weapon and/or pistol. Ammo and weapons drop or are scattered throughout the environment. We could defend idk maybe crates of brain gel or something else. Brain gel would require more upgrades so not sure if tango would go for that. An example of what I'm wanting is when the girl was in the water tank and it was slowly filling up. Ol boy and I had to fight off the horde and save the girl from drowning. Sorry don't remember the chapter or the characters names but that was so intense and fun. Love the game. Can't wait to start NG+
Jdhussle82

Favorite Title: RE4--Evil Within
PSN: Jdhussle82

Postby dvader » Oct 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Nightmare mode is so awesome! New changes to the gaming environment. Loads more enemies, less bullets. Enemies are far more agressive, they just charge at you, even when on fire. The randomness of the placement works really well too, one time I was exploring an optional house that had 2 enemies in it, after I died and went back the front door burst open and four guys came rushing at me, totally freaked me out.

This is how you do hard mode!!
dvader

Postby Cyberote » Oct 19, 2014 1:32 pm

TEW is a great game. I played through it on Survival first. Took me I think 13 hours and I died about 138 times. It was friggin difficult! I just ran through it again on Casual to see if I could get the trophy for beating it under 5 hours. I came close at 5:21. Maybe once Im fully upgraded, Ill be able to shave off a bit more time. Im not too thrilled about playing on Nightmare difficulty and especially not Akumu difficulty! Guess I wont be platting this game for a while :P
Cyberote

Postby dan76 » Oct 19, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm up to chapter 11 on Nightmare difficulty. Chapter 10 was so tough, I now know I won't be playing Akumu mode at all. I don't know how anyone else is playing it, but I don't think I'm having fun anymore. :lol:

Chapter 10
Near the start with the spinning carousel blade, Sebastian would sometimes get his head chopped of whilst crouching and picking up green gel. I have no idea what was going on, but sometimes he would pop his head up for a second. Also, when disarming a trap he stood up twice!

The Laura fight, I never want to go through that again, it's awful - constantly fighting the camera, sometimes getting lucky just running past her, other times her grabbing me when she was no where near. In quite a few parts this game reminds me of RE6 which I hated. I seriously thought about deleting the save files for this difficulty.

It was in these tense moments that I wished for full screen, as seeing things clearly wasn't easy. When situations go full on or are fast the game unravels. In more suddate situations it's a joy, but man, I think they needed another few months to iron things out. I'm going to carry on and try and finish the game as I enjoyed most of the chapters in the last third. But never again!
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Goochbot » Oct 20, 2014 1:14 am

I've made it a point to try the final difficulties only if I could get all of the other achievements first. Some bit's I'm really not looking forward to. The heavy action of chapters 11 onwards are going to be killer on Akumu.
Goochbot

PSN: Goochbot
XBL: xI G0OCH Ix
Wii U: Goochbot

PreviousNext

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak