Is Sebastian Castellanos a bland character?

(Discuss the game)

Is Sebastian Castellanos a bland character?

Postby youngmreezy155 » Oct 13, 2014 6:35 pm

I really want to have a discussion on Sebastian as a character. I cant really give an input at the moment not until i get the game tomorrow but i want to hear other peoples input on this. Especially the ones who beaten the game and got it early. I noticed one of my friends on facebook has been giving The Evil Within crap for a while. Surprisingly hes a big Resident Evil fan, Mikami fan and a gigantic RE4/leon Kennedy fan boy.

Today he pretty much declared Sebastian as a bland character despite not even playing the game. All he did was look at him, read one review and declared he was uninteresting and bland. The review said something along the lines of "Sebastian is no Leon Kennedy" which to him translates Sebastian as being a bland uninteresting character. Lol been reading up on this forum lately and hearing a few people say TEW is far better than RE4 and i told him about that and he laughed at me saying that. IMPOSSIBLE the thought of something being better than RE4!?

Preposterous! Lol so really what do you guys think of Sebastian. Is he a bland character? Is he memorable? What do you like about him?
youngmreezy155

PSN: jamXmreezus

Re: Is Sebastian Castellanos a bland character?

Postby ghostcall » Oct 13, 2014 6:50 pm

youngmreezy155 wrote:I really want to have a discussion on Sebastian as a character. I cant really give an input at the moment not until i get the game tomorrow but i want to hear other peoples input on this. Especially the ones who beaten the game and got it early. I noticed one of my friends on facebook has been giving The Evil Within crap for a while. Surprisingly hes a big Resident Evil fan, Mikami fan and a gigantic RE4/leon Kennedy fan boy.

Today he pretty much declared Sebastian as a bland character despite not even playing the game. All he did was look at him, read one review and declared he was uninteresting and bland. The review said something along the lines of "Sebastian is no Leon Kennedy" which to him translates Sebastian as being a bland uninteresting character. Lol been reading up on this forum lately and hearing a few people say TEW is far better than RE4 and i told him about that and he laughed at me saying that. IMPOSSIBLE the thought of something being better than RE4!?

Preposterous! Lol so really what do you guys think of Sebastian. Is he a bland character? Is he memorable? What do you like about him?

sorry you lost me at leon Kennedy being interesting character.

he was Good/interesting Character in RE2 but his RE4 version is bad.

but on Topic i can't judge Sebastian until i play the game myself.
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Morir es vivir » Oct 13, 2014 7:46 pm

I love Bio 4 but i think your friend is gay sorry :/
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 13, 2014 7:56 pm

I am up to chapter nine atm.. things have just started to kick off.. I am not going to say ANY spoilers, but He is a guy that does what needed to be done... no matter how fowl, he's caring, his work..life is everything to him. He puts other before himself.
When i first read a bit about him I thought he was gonna be a pure badass, but he's not the dickish, big head (I Like Leon from Resi) but he did turn into a big head a bit lol.
Seb's past is well.. damn. Recently in game it made me thick a lot more about the character, than just.. well not really having a clue, going blind. Just hope nothing bad happens at the end, Seb so far is one of my top fave characters no, beating Joel (TLOU) slightly.. but like I said where I am things have only just starting opening up.

Having a break from it tonight been on since 11am, its now.. 1am lol been taking it slow,.. and dying a lot (playing on Survival/medium) it more like HARD!!
DaveOfTheDead87

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

Postby j0siris » Oct 13, 2014 11:16 pm

he can't be anymore bland than Leon or any of the other RE characters. Character development and story have NEVER been a strength or even a focus in Shinji's past games.
j0siris

Favorite Title: Silent Hill
PSN: DarkSageofSorrow

Postby ghostcall » Oct 13, 2014 11:27 pm

j0siris wrote:he can't be anymore bland than Leon or any of the other RE characters. Character development and story have NEVER been a strength or even a focus in Shinji's past games.

yep RE characters were always been bland.

James marcus/morpheus feels like they took them from a final fantasy game.

wesker is duke nukem clone.

leon the emo.

chris and jill are your generic 90s action heros.

rebecca the anime girl.

barry the tough guy.

krauser the metal gear villain.

i'll be impressed if seb was not bland character as well.
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby j0siris » Oct 14, 2014 2:56 am

also just saw the IGN review and its pretty much confirmed on there that he IS in fact traditional Shinji bland, emotionless character. I already came to the conclusion that Shinji and his team are incapable of projecting human emotion or writing compelling characters after Vanquish(an EPIC game, but with piss poor dialog and character interactions). Its just not in him and that's fine. At least he trys is all I can say, and its not RE1 bad anymore
j0siris

Postby j0siris » Oct 14, 2014 3:04 am

Another problem I think it is, is that the Japanese don't know how to properly portray American characters. Me and a friend of mine were joking about Leon's appearance. How they practically made him a "beautiful" flawless bad ass. His statements were "that's just how the Japanese think of americans....we're all perfect action heros or super models". Even the Silent Hill series, with all of its great stories and a few stand out characters have a TON of bland, quirky characters that don't quite feel natural.

If you look at the Forbidden Siren series(ignoring the weird accents in the US version)all those characters look and feel natural, and have natural dialog(well as natural dialog you can have with a story about a village cursed by an extraterrestrial God seeking revenge for being eaten by villagers during a great famine) because Keiichiro Toyama chose to have an all Japanese cast of characters and he didn't have to try too hard to convey a style of speech he wasn't familiar with. Compare that to his dialog and characters on Silent Hill(another game he directed) and you see a difference. One because of the hardware at the time, but also because he was writing for american characters.
j0siris

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak