Current gen or next gen?

(Discuss the game)

Current gen or next gen?

Postby PanamaRed » Jan 25, 2013 2:34 pm

This is something I have been thinking about lately. Before anyone says anything lets get the facts out of the way. Project Zwei was first announced sometime back in April of 2012. After this we have had no more news, no pictures, no artworks no nothing. Hell, we don´t even know the name of the game. Now, as we all know new consoles are on their way and they will probably be announced in this years E3 and will start selling in December. What does that have to do with Zwei you might ask? Well a similar thing happened with Mikami´s 2006 game GodHand. GodHand was released almost at the same time the new consoles were released and it affected sales tremendously(IGN also contributed but that is another story).

When people ask Mikami about GodHand he always responds by saying that he learned from his mistakes back then. Why would he release a new game for current gen consoles when next gen is so close? Unless this is an absolute flawless masterpiece the game will not sell well. What do you guys think of this? Do you think this game will be released for current gen or next gen?
PanamaRed

Favorite Title: RE:Outbreak

Re: Current gen or next gen?

Postby Rikitatsu » Jan 25, 2013 4:39 pm

I think its Bethesda's choice in the end whether we see it on next-gen or not.

But I believe this will have both Current AND Next gen versions... Going Next-Gen only means missing on the huge install base PS3/360 have... But on the other hand, if it releases this gen, it might disappear into obscurity.

Tango's job recruitment shows opening for programmers with experience developing for PS3/360. and Mikami was asked if the game was going next gen and he responded: "Next-gen? I can't say anything - but if it leads to better games I'd consider it."

So I'm assuming, at the very least, it was in development for PS3/360... Whether they changed their plans is something unknown to us.

P.S: A level designer at Tango mentioned in his profile experiences with Id tech 5 and Tango propriety tools, now this man never worked at Id so I'm thinking this game is using a highly modified id tech 5 engine ... Mikami said before that he and Id exchange technical "know-how"... Considering they are under the same parent company.

Anyhow, an Id employee tweeted a while ago that he will help port a major project to Next-Gen consoles... Whether that is Doom 4, ZWEI, or the MachineGames project which uses Id tech 5... I don't know.
Rikitatsu

Postby CandyLander » Jan 25, 2013 5:54 pm

I think they'll make it for ps3/360. I mean, many people wouldn't buy the game because they wouldn't have the console yet or because other games will be released at the same time. aaaaand the game has probably been in development for about 1-2 years? I don't know, but they wouldn't tell us about a game in april and make the game for a console that would only be released nearly two years later. I really want to see a trailer for this! if we reach the half of the year and there's still not a single thing about the game other than those screenshots, I'd consider the idea that the game is for the next gen (duke nukem forever, anyone?).
Lost in the fog
CandyLander

Postby PanamaRed » Jan 26, 2013 12:40 pm

I believe that the game the ID guy was talking about is probably Doom 4 but anyways at this point I think im going with the idea that they started development for this gen and will probably end up porting the game to next gen consoles. Kinda sucks for us people who are not planning on buying consoles on launch. I already learned my lesson about buying consoles on launch date.
What CandyLander said about the game not selling enough because people would not have the console yet is also partially true. I believe either way the game is not going to sell well. This ain´t dk forever tho. Mikami doesn´t bullshit around, the game will be released but when is the question.
PanamaRed

Postby timur72299 » Jan 26, 2013 12:51 pm

Not sure if helps,but i saw this before and though i share.
http://gematsu.com/2013/01/japanese-gam ... s-for-2013

Questions
1) Keywords for 2013.
2) What will your company do?
3) Other.

Bethesda Softworks
1) Zwei.
2) Zwei.

So i guess zwei is a current gen game.
timur72299

Postby PanamaRed » Jan 26, 2013 2:08 pm

Well it seems that answers the question. Guess we should just wait for the trailer.
PanamaRed

Postby Rikitatsu » Jan 26, 2013 2:55 pm

timur72299 wrote:Not sure if helps,but i saw this before and though i share.
http://gematsu.com/2013/01/japanese-gam ... s-for-2013

Questions
1) Keywords for 2013.
2) What will your company do?
3) Other.

Bethesda Softworks
1) Zwei.
2) Zwei.

So i guess zwei is a current gen game.

It doesn't really say it will RELEASE at 2013, but rather its what they will be working on this year.
Even if it releases this year, some rumors say next-gen consoles will arrive at Q4 2013.
Rikitatsu

Postby Yama » Feb 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Funny, I was coming on here thinking of posting up a similar thread, thanks to all of the next-gen talk.

I'd be fairly surprised if it wasn't a part of our current generation, though would be delighted if it took full advantage of next generation hardware. It could be a big reason we haven't heard much system specific details. However nice that sounds though, I can see it being a late current generation release much like Biohazard 4 was.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby timur72299 » Feb 21, 2013 9:07 am

It looks like Zwei is a cross gen game according to this
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/20/heres ... -ps4-game/
timur72299

Postby Rikitatsu » Feb 22, 2013 4:23 am

Sounds like a confirmation to me! Thanks Timur!
The only studio Bethesda got in Japan is Tango, so I think this pretty clear.

A survival horror game, with art by Naoki Katakai (REMake, Okami) On next gen consoles.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY BETHESDA
ImageImage
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak