My Review of The Evil Within...

(Discuss the game)

Re: My Review of The Evil Within...

Postby Goochbot » Oct 16, 2014 8:48 pm

As a horror, I'd say it's slightly more scary than RE4, (although I can't think of anything in TEW that scared me as much as Verdugo, or the Regenerators). It's really tense though, which to me made up for it. There wasn't many times in TEW where I felt like I couldn't die at any minute. Not since Code Veronica did I feel so constantly strapped for health and ammo. Really well balanced in that department.
User avatar
Goochbot
 
Posts: 31
Joined: September 2014
Location: Ireland
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Goochbot
XBL: xI G0OCH Ix
Wii U: Goochbot

Re: My Review of The Evil Within...

Postby dvader » Oct 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Great review, I am still in the middle of the game but I agree with many of your points so far.
User avatar
dvader
 
Posts: 46
Joined: November 2012
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: My Review of The Evil Within...

Postby Mortifiedpenguin » Oct 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Horror games don`t scare me. So this game didn`t scare me. I just like being in these nightmare worlds like Silent hill and Dead Space and this game is a combination of that. Action wise it feels like RE4, item managment wise it feels like REMake, setting it feels like Silent hill. It just pains me to see to see allot of negative reviews on metacritic complaining about the game being cheap and hard. It`s not hard, it`s challenging, it`s not cheap, just like Dark Souls wasn`t cheap . You just need to adjust and think on the spot. See the situation you are in and respond to that. Most low reviews i have seen is people complaining about it being too hard and cheap. Well guess what? This game isn`t meant for COD players with a 5 K/D who think they own videogames by sitting at one spot, killing people who play the objective. The objective in this game is to move forward and moving forward in this game (on survival) is hard. Deal with it.

People who have mastered RE4 will enjoy this game and probably think it`s even better. People who think they are good, but die over and over again at this game while they have a good K/D on Call of Duty will hate this game (because they are so good) Most reviews i have read said they were constantly stocked on ammo. Well play on survival mode and you won`t be stocked. Oh wait, survival mode is too hard for you. This game was made for a certain audience. Not casual players, but pure survival horror fans that KNOW how to deal with situations in games like this.

Goodnight.
Mortifiedpenguin
 
Posts: 25
Joined: October 2014
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Favorite Title: The Evil Within

Re: My Review of The Evil Within...

Postby robflee23 » Oct 16, 2014 10:20 pm

I disagree with pretty much all of the mainstream reviews, because the people were gave the game a really good score say it's a masterpiece, and the ones that give it a 6 or lower just don't get the point. It's hardly a masterpiece because it literally copies everything from REmake to RE4. It isn't bad because the game mechanics are FANTASTICALLY crafted. What it comes down to is that this is what the survival horror genre needed. Somebody who knew how to make a good, CHALLENGING, survival horror game that teaches you to manage your resources to a god damn tee, and to show this generation of gamers what it is like for a game to not spoon feed you everything, and that you'll actually need to pay attention to the subtle details to succeed.
robflee23
 
Posts: 67
Joined: July 2013
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 5 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Re: My Review of The Evil Within...

Postby Mortifiedpenguin » Oct 16, 2014 10:32 pm

robflee23 wrote:I disagree with pretty much all of the mainstream reviews, because the people were gave the game a really good score say it's a masterpiece, and the ones that give it a 6 or lower just don't get the point. It's hardly a masterpiece because it literally copies everything from REmake to RE4. It isn't bad because the game mechanics are FANTASTICALLY crafted. What it comes down to is that this is what the survival horror genre needed. Somebody who knew how to make a good, CHALLENGING, survival horror game that teaches you to manage your resources to a god damn tee, and to show this generation of gamers what it is like for a game to not spoon feed you everything, and that you'll actually need to pay attention to the subtle details to succeed.


Basically:

People who enjoyed the game are survival horror fans.

People who didn`t enjoy the game are casuals who play Battlefield and COD.(and The Last of Us lol)

In the end it all comes down to: You don`t want to die allot in videogames, because you are a superior player(in your own mind). Well i died 50 times in this game and still enjoyed it. Im not bragging about having died only 50 times while ive seen scoreboards about people dieng 128 times. It is in the end a game and how much you enjoy it. People that don`t know when to run and when to shoot will hate this game. It is a fact.
Mortifiedpenguin
 
Posts: 25
Joined: October 2014
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Favorite Title: The Evil Within

Re: My Review of The Evil Within...

Postby ghostcall » Oct 16, 2014 11:03 pm

Goochbot wrote:As a horror, I'd say it's slightly more scary than RE4, (although I can't think of anything in TEW that scared me as much as Verdugo, or the Regenerators). It's really tense though, which to me made up for it. There wasn't many times in TEW where I felt like I couldn't die at any minute. Not since Code Veronica did I feel so constantly strapped for health and ammo. Really well balanced in that department.


it definitely delivered gameplay Survival aspect it as tense as classic RE games even without tank controls or fixed camera angels 1 enemy is still feels like a big threat to you regardless if you have OP weapon or not heck in chapter 6 you relied on joseph more then yourself to deal with enemies.

however my only problems with game is shoving the casual movie interactive experience where you are forced to go forward like uncharted or the game takes away your control for cutscene or scripted event or you can't go back to areas.

i don't buy the whole game isn't scary "because you got used to it" because the game hardly tries to scare you the only thing i seen from horror aspect is RE and horror movies easter eggs.

don't get me wrong the game does favor the hardcore players a lot over casual players however the elements thrown in to appeal casual gamers have ruined some aspects of the game.

the game would be a lot better game then this.
''Don't change the product to meet what the market is, stick to what It's meant to be in your own vision, and people who share that vision will eventually come'' -Brian Hong.
User avatar
ghostcall
 
Posts: 442
Joined: September 2013
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Re: My Review of The Evil Within...

Postby Mortifiedpenguin » Oct 16, 2014 11:06 pm

ghostcall wrote:
Goochbot wrote:As a horror, I'd say it's slightly more scary than RE4, (although I can't think of anything in TEW that scared me as much as Verdugo, or the Regenerators). It's really tense though, which to me made up for it. There wasn't many times in TEW where I felt like I couldn't die at any minute. Not since Code Veronica did I feel so constantly strapped for health and ammo. Really well balanced in that department.


it definitely delivered gameplay Survival aspect it as tense as classic RE games even without tank controls or fixed camera angels 1 enemy is still feels like a big threat to you regardless if you have OP weapon or not heck in chapter 6 you relied on joseph more then yourself to deal with enemies.

however my only problems with game is shoving the casual movie interactive experience where you are forced to go forward like uncharted or the game takes away your control for cutscene or scripted event or you can't go back to areas.

i don't buy the whole game isn't scary "because you got used to it" because the game hardly tries to scare you the only thing i seen from horror aspect is RE and horror movies easter eggs.

don't get me wrong the game does favor the hardcore players a lot over casual players however the elements thrown in to appeal casual gamers have ruined some aspects of the game.

the game would be a lot better game then this.


Survival horror is dead these days anyway. Don`t complain. enjoy it. since this is probably one of the few many times you will experience something like this.
Mortifiedpenguin
 
Posts: 25
Joined: October 2014
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Favorite Title: The Evil Within

Re: My Review of The Evil Within...

Postby ghostcall » Oct 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Mortifiedpenguin wrote:
ghostcall wrote:
Goochbot wrote:As a horror, I'd say it's slightly more scary than RE4, (although I can't think of anything in TEW that scared me as much as Verdugo, or the Regenerators). It's really tense though, which to me made up for it. There wasn't many times in TEW where I felt like I couldn't die at any minute. Not since Code Veronica did I feel so constantly strapped for health and ammo. Really well balanced in that department.


it definitely delivered gameplay Survival aspect it as tense as classic RE games even without tank controls or fixed camera angels 1 enemy is still feels like a big threat to you regardless if you have OP weapon or not heck in chapter 6 you relied on joseph more then yourself to deal with enemies.

however my only problems with game is shoving the casual movie interactive experience where you are forced to go forward like uncharted or the game takes away your control for cutscene or scripted event or you can't go back to areas.

i don't buy the whole game isn't scary "because you got used to it" because the game hardly tries to scare you the only thing i seen from horror aspect is RE and horror movies easter eggs.

don't get me wrong the game does favor the hardcore players a lot over casual players however the elements thrown in to appeal casual gamers have ruined some aspects of the game.

the game would be a lot better game then this.


Survival horror is dead these days anyway. Don`t complain. enjoy it. since this is probably one of the few many times you will experience something like this.

hardly casual gaming is already dying on consoles and moving away to mobile gaming this is in fact the perfect time for companies to try bring back their hardcore gamers.

even activision expects COD AW would sell even less then ghosts and nintendo is already ditching casual audience for hardcore gamers.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/47 ... -the-core/

http://www.gamezone.com/news/call-of-du ... han-ghosts
''Don't change the product to meet what the market is, stick to what It's meant to be in your own vision, and people who share that vision will eventually come'' -Brian Hong.
User avatar
ghostcall
 
Posts: 442
Joined: September 2013
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Re: My Review of The Evil Within...

Postby Mortifiedpenguin » Oct 16, 2014 11:48 pm

Bottom line is: Casual players will hate this game, while hardcore survival horror fans will love it.
Mortifiedpenguin
 
Posts: 25
Joined: October 2014
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Favorite Title: The Evil Within

Re: My Review of The Evil Within...

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 17, 2014 5:36 am

even the casual setting on tew is tough, Done it on ym pc version, first run through I died over 30 times, game plus I died 10 which isn't too shabby one was on the end boss. I have done most of the game on survial on my ps4 and I dread to think what my death toll is.. about 50 already lol. but no matter how many times I died. i ddin't quick or want to quick. It was great having a challenging game with a great story. I don't think there's any part of the game I didn't like
User avatar
DaveOfTheDead87
 
Posts: 173
Joined: October 2014
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

PreviousNext

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron