RE4 (what is similar about TEW) (I never played it)

(Discuss the game)

RE4 (what is similar about TEW) (I never played it)

Postby rushinplay » Oct 19, 2014 3:44 am

I've seen a few people say TEW is like a mix between RE4 and silent hill, well if you saw my other topic, you know I love silent hill and even am an apologist for the later abortions (well they were ok, just not the greatness of SH2), well I never played RE4 and was wondering how it is similar to TEW, and also if it would be worth going back to play all these years later. is it scary? I like scary games but there have not been many. Games like (the one where you take pictures of ghosts) or asylum dark desent were never scary to me because there is a path: just follow it. For me the fear comes with unpredictable and the unknown, what could be next, and I think that is the one thing keeping TEW from being truly scary, that the "monsters" are basically humanoid. What freaks me is the other worldly enemies like the knee high apparitions stabbing at your feet in silent hill or chapter 4 spoiler-
whatever that was with 4 arms that I tried to kill 5 times before realizing you were supposed to run, it still had a 'head' but just seemed like it was from a chaotic universe, and I hated how it smashed my head
which I just finished today, but I'm taking my time with the game and really experiencing everything as well as taking video of the first time I play the game, I would love to have a video of me the first time I played SH2, I was a lot younger and it really is the only game I remember thinking- I can't bring myself to turn on the ps2 right now, no one else is home i'll just wait.

But there is a funny story here, I live alone and it's warmer than it should be here, so I have my AC set to 78 and haven't even thought about it in a couple weeks, well it kicks on today for the first time and I had my pans downstairs sitting on the fridge right under an air duct vent, well it kicks on and I have my headphones on of course, and playing TEW when I hear the crash of pans, it scared the hell out of me! I ran downstairs and remembered I set them kind of teetering on the edge cause I cleaned them yesterday, and caught my breath and laughed at myself, but then I just had to turn the game off, my heart rate was too fast and I had just finished chapter 4, few minutes into chapter 5 and just said nope, i'll play some Destiny for a while. all my fault haha
rushinplay

Favorite Title: SH2
PSN: reiko57

Re: RE4 (what is similar about TEW) (I never played it)

Postby Yulia » Oct 19, 2014 4:04 am

Well, for me TEW is nothing like RE4 actually, and if you like scary games and "silent hillish" themes I think you would be disappointed in RE4 (it's not scary, like at all, and headshots are too easy, and it playing more like shooter, and there is this annoying NPC girl..)
Yulia

Favorite Title: Silent Hill

Postby rushinplay » Oct 19, 2014 5:34 am

ok, I was always sure there was a reason I didn't play but you can't remember every thought you once had.
rushinplay

Postby dan76 » Oct 19, 2014 8:29 am

Do yourself a favour and play it. I think RE4 and TEW are fairly similar. RE4 is all about gunplay, and it does it brilliantly. TEW adds in stealth and more atmosphere, so it's similar in some ways, but adds more to the mix. I certainly felt like I was playing RE4 a lot of the time in TEW.

As for Ashley, well she isn't as annoying as Joseph in TEW. She stays behind you and does exactly as you say - she doesn't go running around getting herself killed. Ashley just makes your hitbox bigger, that's all, and she not with you for most of the game.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby rushinplay » Oct 19, 2014 12:13 pm

I may just because i've been wanting to go buy a bunch of old games recently (I'm never selling another game, i decided about a year ago, starting to have a nice collection of ps3 games), and RE4 is one I hear people mention a lot and I never played it so I have no frame of reference, also really wanting to play demon's souls again.
rushinplay

Postby Goochbot » Oct 19, 2014 12:26 pm

I thought TEW was very similar to RE4. The pacing, the set-pieces, the enemies, and more than anything else, the combat, all feel very RE4. Like TEW, RE4 is also all about tension, rather than outright scaring the player.
Goochbot

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Goochbot
XBL: xI G0OCH Ix
Wii U: Goochbot

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak