What would you change about the game? (Gameplay wise)

(Discuss the game)

What would you change about the game? (Gameplay wise)

Postby DizzyWithin » Oct 19, 2014 10:04 am

I wanted to make this thread to discuss changes we might each make to the game, to make it better if we could!

So first of all I feel like I would remove SOME of the insta-death scenarios, I felt like they were a bit overused throughout the game. Insta-death can make things feel tense, but when used in the wrong way, can make things annoying/tedious for the player. This change would improve the overall game imo.

Secondly, make guns more accurate by default and REMOVE auto-aim and upgrades. I have no clue what they were thinking with the aiming system. This would encourage skill over a silly mechanic like upgrades and auto-aim.

SPOILER for the last change.
Lastly, remove the stupid gauntlet from chapter 15, way to ruin the entire last level... by making a giant arena with a bunch of bad guys. This wasn't particularly difficult, but just annoying and totally immersion breaking.

Would love to hear all of your ideas! :D
DizzyWithin

Favorite Title: SH:1
PSN: tickldkfiifo
Steam: tickldkfiifo/diz

Re: What would you change about the game? (Gameplay wise)

Postby dan76 » Oct 19, 2014 11:48 am

I love the game, best thing since RE4. But...

I'd change is the long unskipable cutscenes. There are too many that interupt gameplay, zapping Sebastian around the place. I'm not a fan of the saving hub either. Takes too long. I'm half way through my second play through and it's a pain.

I think you're right about the guns, they'd too weak and the accuracy is a joke... Shades of RE6. By having the guns more powerful and steadier the game could still have kept its survival edge because of the lack of ammo. Heads shots count, but for the first third of the game it's not worth trying as the handgun is useless. I like the upgrading though.

I would have loved the option for laser sight- which might look a bit weird but is more realistic than a crosshair - why not give us the option, Dead Space 3 did. Also, an option for the over shoulder camera to always look in the direction Sebastian is facing. I don't like the free camera at all, but for some sequences it's needed I suppose.

Btw, I loved chapter 15. I thought the area you hated was great :D
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby DizzyWithin » Oct 19, 2014 11:56 am

dan76 wrote:I love the game, best thing since RE4. But...

I'd change is the long unskipable cutscenes. There are too many that interupt gameplay, zapping Sebastian around the place. I'm not a fan of the saving hub either. Takes too long. I'm half way through my second play through and it's a pain.

I think you're right about the guns, they'd too weak and the accuracy is a joke... Shades of RE6. By having the guns more powerful and steadier the game could still have kept its survival edge because of the lack of ammo. Heads shots count, but for the first third of the game it's not worth trying as the handgun is useless. I like the upgrading though.

I would have loved the option for laser sight- which might look a bit weird but is more realistic than a crosshair - why not give us the option, Dead Space 3 did. Also, an option for the over shoulder camera to always look in the direction Sebastian is facing. I don't like the free camera at all, but for some sequences it's needed I suppose.

Btw, I loved chapter 15. I thought the area you hated was great :D

Yeah some people seemed to like 15, maybe I hate it because I had to beat it on AKUMU -.- well... it was a !@%!^$ nightmare on AKUMU lol

I thought about some more possible changes that I would make.

One change, is slightly tighter movement control... I LOVED THE MOVEMENT, but... I think making it slightly more responsive would have been better.

Another small change would be animations, I noticed certain animations lack i-frames, which is a bit of a shame. I would change that, and change the "health threshold" of insta-death animations (example: sadist insta-death anim)
DizzyWithin

Postby Goochbot » Oct 19, 2014 12:05 pm

I think my main thing would be to make the game more seamless and cohesive. I'd rather the game wasn't divided into chapters, and the game didn't switch locations so many times. I'd have removed the partners from gameplay entirely, or at least have them defenseless, like Ashley in RE4. I think I'd have made the game full screen. I don't mind the aspect ratio, but I'm not sure what it adds to be honest, and it can make looking around the environment slightly cumbersome at times.
Goochbot

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Goochbot
XBL: xI G0OCH Ix
Wii U: Goochbot

Postby DizzyWithin » Oct 19, 2014 12:17 pm

Goochbot wrote:I think my main thing would be to make the game more seamless and cohesive. I'd rather the game wasn't divided into chapters, and the game didn't switch locations so many times. I'd have removed the partners from gameplay entirely, or at least have them defenseless, like Ashley in RE4. I think I'd have made the game full screen. I don't mind the aspect ratio, but I'm not sure what it adds to be honest, and it can make looking around the environment slightly cumbersome at times.

I agree having the chapters more seamless would be nice. The silly end-of-chapter screen is kinda funny.

GRATZ ON BEATING STAGE

U WANNA SAVE UR GAME?????!?!?!??!!?

lol
DizzyWithin

Postby rushinplay » Oct 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Maybe just make some of the zones bigger, I'm thinking of chapter 4 here when there are maybe 3 small villas to explore before you are forced to continue on, maybe combine the zones of 3 and 4 since they are similar and bigger zones would feel more overwhelming and maybe scarier, I don't know, I like the game a lot the way it is but I think bigger zones would have been a little bit more scary.
rushinplay

Favorite Title: SH2
PSN: reiko57

Postby DizzyWithin » Oct 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Wanted to say something about smoother controls!!!

Im on PC, and just set max fps to 60.... The game animations seem to have slightly different timings when it comes to Seb's movement. The movement is so insanely quicker, or at least it feels quicker. (I don't mean he moves faster, but the game seems to let you adjust his position with much more ease)

So if you are on PC, and you have a nice gaming rig, doing this will make a WORLD of difference. I can't believe I was missing out. I put in 40 hours without even realizing this was possible. -.- The aiming benefits from this as well. Just insane
DizzyWithin

Postby CandyLander » Oct 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Make the puzzles harder. The puzzles in this game were infant level.
Lost in the fog
CandyLander

Postby DizzyWithin » Oct 19, 2014 2:11 pm

CandyLander wrote:Make the puzzles harder. The puzzles in this game were infant level.

Honestly... calling them puzzles... is an OVERSTATEMENT lol

They were more like... scavenger hunts for toddlers. I suppose the only "puzzle" was the brain surgery thing.
DizzyWithin

Postby gonzzCABJ » Oct 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Things I would change:

The camera: it works badly when doing stealth.
Exploration: It isn't bad, but I would have liked a little bit more.
Boss fights: they weren't challenging, at least not for me. I died 68 times in my first playthrough and no more than 6-8 were because bosses.
Puzzles: very few and quite simple.
Technology: the game should have ran way smoother than what it did. I mean, come on, it looks like a last-gen title (scenarios and bosses had great designs, though).
gonzzCABJ

Favorite Title: Silent Hill
PSN: gonzzCABJ
Steam: gonzzCABJ

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak