I changed my mind about Nightmare Mode.

(Discuss the game)

I changed my mind about Nightmare Mode.

Postby BradAKARob » Oct 20, 2014 9:43 am

I have started playing The Evil Within on nightmare mode. I was not going to but I figured if I could beat the game on this setting it is something I would be proud of. The only thing I know that will aid me in beating this difficulty is going very slow through the game and planning out every fight. Sneak kills and watching and learning the zombies walk patterns are a must, I think. I also need to plan on fights not going my way in case I mess up what I would do to keep the fight going my way.

If any of you guy's have some tips for this game setting please post them here. I am sure there are lots of people other then myself that would benefit from game tips especially on this setting. I figured with all you guys here some survival horror experts how can I lose. : )
Last edited by BradAKARob on Oct 20, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BradAKARob

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
XBL: FixedCandy

Re: I changed my mind about Nightmare Mode.

Postby Mortifiedpenguin » Oct 20, 2014 10:07 am

Just started playing on Nightmare myself. it's not too hard. Played untill i got to chapter 5. like you said yourself: the trick is to play slow. Look for statues (keys) and green goo so you can upgrade your health and weapon damage. I myself already found a few statues that i missed on my first game aswell as new game+. The only thing i find harder at this point is that those Ruvik clone enemies show up at various points already rather than near the end of the game on survival mode. Just kill them first when you see them. If you beat the game on survival and know the basic strategies you should have no problem.
Mortifiedpenguin

Postby BradAKARob » Oct 20, 2014 11:33 am

Them Ruvik Clones could be a serious threat. Can the Ruvik Clones be killed with stealth kills?

I tried to do this on survival mode towards the end of the game on one but could not get close enough. I would of been able to get close if I would of watched the movement of the other zombie beside him more carefully I think.I really would appreciate someone to anwser this question, thank you guys in advance.
BradAKARob

Postby Goochbot » Oct 20, 2014 11:55 am

Ruvik clones can be stealth killed, I did so myself on chapter 13, in one if the corridors towards the beginning of the chapter.
Goochbot

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Goochbot
XBL: xI G0OCH Ix
Wii U: Goochbot

Postby dan76 » Oct 20, 2014 12:05 pm

I haven't managed to kill a Ruvik clone with stealth. If you creep up behind them and get as close as you can, they will turn and see you - well, this is what's happened every time I've tried. Point blank him with a shotgun blast, it should only take one or two.

I've reached chapter 11 and I think I may have been focusing on upgrading the wrong weapons, that is handgun and shotgun. I think it would be better to upgrade the various crossbow bolts. An example is the flash bolt. Upgrading this means enemies will stay stunned for 10 seconds, in which time you can stealth kill a few of them - there is less ammo drops in this difficulty, so stealth is the way to go. Also, I'm thinking the normal bolt fully upgraded sets enemies on fire. Very useful for the Laura fight (both of them!) and bosses.

Maybe it was obvious to other people, but the more I play this game I'm thinking it's less about guns, more about the crossbow. Also upgrade some stamina.

I don't know how people have managed Akumu. Chapter 6 and 10 on Nightmare difficulty are some of the hardest parts of any game I've ever played! Though it's worth it as I think Nightmare mode on newgame + will be an enjoyable difficulty.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby BradAKARob » Oct 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Yeah that Akumu difficulty, is just not worth it to me. I mean come on one hit and you die... that is just not cool. If anyone can do that great job, but it is not for me.

dan76 I am like you I think Nightmare mode after it is beat one time will be just the right balance of difficulty. That is the main reason why I will try to beat it on nightmare. Also I am still new here still trying to figure out how to thank you guys. : (

Yeah I am spending green gel on my handgun. But I am not spending any green gel on my shotgun. What I do is I use the Double-barreled shotgun from the fighting chance pack. It looks awsome and it does 50% more damage then the regular base shotgun without any upgrades. I did not use the regular shotgun at all for survival and I will not use it for nightmare either. Also if you are fighting a hard enemy you can hold the trigger in for the Double-barreled shotgun and it will do a double blast very quickly. The reload time for that weapon is also pretty fast and reloading on the move for me anyway is easy.

But yeah putting some green gel into the stun bolts to increase the amout of time a monster cannot attack makes sense. I will be putting some serious gel into the crossbow this go round. I like you dan76 did not put as much gel into the crossbow as I should of.
BradAKARob

Postby BradAKARob » Oct 21, 2014 12:07 am

They put Ruvik Clones in the beginning of chapter 3... on nightmare mode. I quit playing for most of the day because I was freaking mad. If a Ruvik Clone sees us he can 1 shot us so unfair.
BradAKARob

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak