The Game "Clicks" at Nightmare Difficulty

(Discuss the game)

The Game "Clicks" at Nightmare Difficulty

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 24, 2014 11:22 am

I'm at Chapter 6 on Nightmare Difficulty right now, and so far, I think this is the way the developers intended for the game to be played.

On Survival, I didn't care about hiding or running away at all, but on Nightmare, you will spend a lot of time inside closets. Enemies are stronger, faster, and seem to pursue you more relentlessly. And considering the game adds high-level enemies like Ruvik clones who deal 1-Hit Kills in the early chapters (Ch.3) I had to rely more on methodical play as opposed to shooting like I did in Survival. Careful planning of each step and utilizing every bullet/bolt and trap in the environment was essential, or else you're in deep trouble.

The game becomes truly "scary" on Nightmare, as enemies present much bigger threat. I suggest anyone who thinks this isn't a Survival Horror game to play this on Nightmare Difficulty. You will be pleasantly surprised.

I don't want to imagine what Akumu is like, I bet it's too frustrating, though.
Rikitatsu

Re: The Game "Clicks" at Nightmare Difficulty

Postby BradAKARob » Oct 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Yeah I am 11hours into Nightmare mode right now, and only on chapter 7. The reason for this is I sneak throughout most of the game and want to make sure I miss nothing. Even if I miss like one shotgun bullet or +100 green gel I will start back at the checkpoint, I guess it is a OCD thing.

Right now in chapter 7 I am 1 minute away from fighting the keeper. If someone could post a video on here fighting the keeper on Nightmare I would really appreciate it. I have plenty of ammo, and 27 trap parts I am just down right scared to face him, I know that makes me a pathetic wimp. Again I would really appreciate that video if someone has time. My friends keep asking me why I have not got past chapter 7 on nightmare mode I keep making excuses. In my opinion The Keeper is the worst monster to face I am just horrified by him and truly scared, he takes his own head and pop's it off for christ sake, he is true horror. I also am thinking in Nightmare Mode the poison will kill me alot faster also that is why I want a video so I know exactly where to go, I do not want to die!
BradAKARob

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
XBL: FixedCandy

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 24, 2014 1:56 pm

I have only got to chapter *the patient* not started it, and I have already been playing for about 5 hours, it took me 2 evenings to get past the Elk River village, but I didn't die that much, it was my silly mistake, like dropping down into Lauras arms lol. but yeah that chapter took me about 2hrs and 38min to complete, i took it reeeeeeal slow I had sod all ammo, I was just lucky I found another hidden key I knew knew was there, so got 3 keys from that small area and was able to get some gear from the lockers, mainly health, which seem a bit pointless on Nightmare. but I was really scared, The enemies AI is at a new lvl, they are RUNNING after you, unpredictable movements. I often just walked past a window, not hearing them outside, thinking it was safe to move... to then have a axe come flying through the window, with 2 haunted then coming in.. I swore in shock and fright several times, but at the same time I felt "This is how its meant to be.. this is Horror" when I did the chapter through, when I saw him fall.... fist pump :D I spent a lot of the time talking to Seb lol it was strange but a whole new experience! getting tired of peeps saying theres not enough ammo, its too hard. It just means they expect to run through it, not to take it in. Everyone should give it a try, have to be dang patient though. i was under a bed hiding, in prep while the Sadist was around.. it was a very tight area so, no balls-ups :D :mrgreen:
DaveOfTheDead87

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

Postby dan76 » Oct 24, 2014 2:52 pm

I think Nightmare is just about as difficult as the game can be without it getting frustrating. On my playthrough there were two or three sequences that I thought were incredibly difficult, but overall it's the one to play.

On this difficulty using the agony crossbow is much more important than the guns. I was picking off head shots fairly often in survivor, but in Nightmare the enemies are so aggressive it's much harder. Also, the only time I had to restart a chapter was in Nightmare as I didn't have anything left to get through a certain sequence.

I'm working my way through newgame + on Nightmare, not using the unlocked weapons and it's still a good challenge even with all the upgrades.
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby DizzyWithin » Oct 24, 2014 3:01 pm

AKUMU and Nightmare are actually Identical besides the 1 hit kills.

A Tip:
Also, watch out for invisible enemies a bit more. They aren't only in chapter 4 and 5 this time.
DizzyWithin

Favorite Title: SH:1
PSN: tickldkfiifo
Steam: tickldkfiifo/diz

Postby BradAKARob » Oct 24, 2014 6:11 pm

I did it guy's I beat him on Nightmare Difficulty. I actually beat him twice cause the first time I thought wow I could do this with alot less ammo waste. Once I understood the fight %100 I actually enjoyed beating him. I think all my Evil Within stuff that come from Bethesda today got my courage up. The Keeper Hoodie is cool, but I would say The Evil Within T-Shirt is a better value IMO.

Anywho thanks guys for pumping me up for the fight.
BradAKARob

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Just went against the first 4 invisible enemies, they move a lot faster! that was a lot more intents, when on the other modes I could stand and watch for footprints, this one you only have seconds before they are in your face. I am up to the point where
I have to rescue kidman... already died once, Well Joseph did :/ should be a good battle
, but think I will leave the rest of the chapter for tomorrow, got to be on the ball lol
DaveOfTheDead87

PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

Postby gonzzCABJ » Oct 24, 2014 7:45 pm

I agree with you, Rikitatsu. It's a shame they wouldn't let us play on hard from the get going.
gonzzCABJ

Favorite Title: Silent Hill
PSN: gonzzCABJ
Steam: gonzzCABJ

Postby SweetPoison13 » Oct 26, 2014 10:31 am

I finished The Evil Within on its Nightmare difficulty setting the other night. I don’t think I will be able to go back to Survival any time soon. This video game is so much more enjoyable (and challenging) on the higher difficulty settings. I wasn’t too keen on playing through Survival the first time through. I thought it would be too easy so I decided not to use any green gel. It feels like I flew through the Nightmare difficulty setting with upgrades.

It just seems like some chapters are easier than others. I don’t know how I will feel about that AKUMU mode (I will take a look at it later) but I didn’t think the Nightmare difficulty setting was too bad. I actually had more trouble in some of the chapters in Survival merely because I didn’t use any green gel on my first playthrough.
Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison
SweetPoison13
Evil Takes Hold

Favorite Title: Silent Hill 2
PSN: SweetPoison13
XBL: SweetPoison13

Postby BradAKARob » Oct 26, 2014 4:49 pm

I think Nightmare Setting in The Evil Within has backfired in the worst of ways. I notice I am almost clear on chapter 10 and I have over 30 parts for bolts and over 40 bullets. (handgun,shotgun,and rifle mixed) I noticed they put alot more traps for us which means we get more trap parts for bolts. They also put a ton more zombies which means more item drops for us. That is why I think it backfired.

I have been able to kill every boss in Nightmare mode but lacked the ammo in Survival mode to do so, it is weird eh guys? From reading everyone elses replies it seems the same thing has happened to you all.

*I want to add I love this game on Nightmare Mode and the first 4 Chapters or so did seem harder then on survival, but as I got more and more ammo it seemed like survival was harder then on Nightmare.
BradAKARob

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak