Liner progression? Or more Open?

(Discuss the game)

Liner progression? Or more Open?

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 15, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm talking about the levels.
What sort of levels do you hope ZWEI should adapt?

1-Liner, with no backtracking, going straight forward from A to B... A roller coaster ride.

2-More open, you can explore big areas, backtrack to previous areas, and move at a slower pace.

3-Open World... A vast world you can fully explore at any time.

I hope its something along the lines of 2, levels should be overwhelmingly big, but still has a sense of progression.
Rikitatsu

Re: Liner progression? Or more Open?

Postby Blood-Curse62 » Mar 15, 2013 3:29 pm

I hope a more open game like Siren
An open world it's too hard for install story
I'm french so I'm sorry if there are mistakes in my posts
Blood-Curse62

Postby Nemesis85 » Mar 15, 2013 10:53 pm

I like a hybrid of 1 and 2,(if its possible :-) ). But it depends on the story,atmosphere, and the environment you are playing. If its like RE 2 and playing in the Raccoon City Police Department, where it is an enclosed environment, it will be more like #1. In addition, the story and especially puzzles will play a key role in determining the type of progression. What I like is to be able to wonder and explore different places as much as you "need," in order to solve something, acquire a piece of an equipment or a machine, or a car that allows you to progress, and not for fun, because it will diminish the intensity and the concentration of the game player.
Nemesis85

Postby Saint Ste7en » Mar 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Using *only* #1 is a terrible idea for survival/horrors due to the lack of exploration. Survival/horror games need to develop the environment somewhat otherwise the game is just a tour with hostiles blocking the path. Resident Evil 4 had a hybrid of 1 and 2 and made a brilliant survival/horror game. For the most part the game is linear, but there are plenty of buildings and wide spaces to explore. You can go into a house and raid it for ammo and herbs. Then go out the front door and continue down the path.

But there's no reason you can't use all 3 and make a legendary survival/horror that everyone will remember.

Silent Hill 2 had aspects of all 3. When you first enter the town you're located in a #3 environment. You're lost in a world of thick fog that's infested with monsters and you have to find your way to progress. They block off paths and bait you with blood to try and get you where you need to go so progress, but you're mostly lost in a scary, monster invested environment, with poor vision... Completely alone. After the hospital, again, you have to explore the town. This time in complete dark with half as much vision as the fog and probably 3 times as many monsters as before.

Then there are the areas like the apartment, hospital, and prison where you become locked in, creating a #2 area. However, unlike the Spencer mansion most doors in this game are permanently locked and/or broken. With most everything locked, it gives the area a claustrophobic feel. And if that wasn't unconformable enough, the grotesque factor makes the setting even worse.

And, of course, there's the underground where James keeps jumping down seemingly bottomless pits. Backtracking is either minimal or impossible, probably qualifying a #1 setting, but the claustrophobic factor is still there. And there's less health lying around, so when gearing low on health in the narrow halls it makes the game incredibly tense.
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Favorite Title: Haunting Ground

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 16, 2013 7:41 pm

^ That's a good point, Silent Hill was kinda able to combine all three and made it work, I wouldn't mind seeing something in the vein of Silent Hill at all!
Rikitatsu

Postby Nemesis85 » Mar 16, 2013 8:26 pm

As I've said before, all 3 levels are possible and there is no certain formula for making a spectacular game, but it all depends on how 3 components: the story,genre,and the environment are intertwined and how the game player benefits from exploiting different places in different times.
Nemesis85

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak