Cheap Deaths

(Discuss the game)

Re: Cheap Deaths

Postby Tyrant » Nov 16, 2014 7:29 pm

Lazarus753 wrote:I didn't have this happen to me, but I don't have a problem with it. Checkpoints are liberal, and it rackets up the tension. When it comes to other cheap deaths, I just don't see the problem. If you aren't going slow enough to notice traps, that's your fault, not the game's. Being one shot killed by enemies and bosses also makes the game more challenging, more cruel, and more survival horror. Most of the time the one shot deaths are avoidable, but the fact that some aren't gives the game a serious feeling of weight. It makes each encounter feel much more formidable, as one mistake can bring you down.

The environment also feels extremely deadly, which is a huge plus in my opinion. I know nobody here in this thread is explicitly complaining about cheap deaths, but the general consensus seems to be that the game is unfair, and worse as a result. I just figured I'd start some discussion on it, if possible

the game definitely isnt worse because of instant deaths. you're right in the fact that if you go slow enough that death can be avoided, and thats fine with me personally. but in the case of the video in question there was no way to see that coming
Tyrant

Favorite Title: REmake

Re: Cheap Deaths

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 16, 2014 9:33 pm

Tyrant wrote:
Lazarus753 wrote:I didn't have this happen to me, but I don't have a problem with it. Checkpoints are liberal, and it rackets up the tension. When it comes to other cheap deaths, I just don't see the problem. If you aren't going slow enough to notice traps, that's your fault, not the game's. Being one shot killed by enemies and bosses also makes the game more challenging, more cruel, and more survival horror. Most of the time the one shot deaths are avoidable, but the fact that some aren't gives the game a serious feeling of weight. It makes each encounter feel much more formidable, as one mistake can bring you down.

The environment also feels extremely deadly, which is a huge plus in my opinion. I know nobody here in this thread is explicitly complaining about cheap deaths, but the general consensus seems to be that the game is unfair, and worse as a result. I just figured I'd start some discussion on it, if possible

the game definitely isnt worse because of instant deaths. you're right in the fact that if you go slow enough that death can be avoided, and thats fine with me personally. but in the case of the video in question there was no way to see that coming

Yeah, of course. I wasn't arguing that. Just saying that I don't have a problem with it. It's kind of a "wtf" moment, but it would have made that area even more horrifying. And as it was, I was already running for my life and hiding every time the world started reverberating. I didn't know that it was easy to outrun Ruvik... I was terrified, haha
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Previous

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak