Cheap Deaths

(Discuss the game)

Cheap Deaths

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 29, 2014 9:57 am

Alright, I think most of us have run into our fair share of Cheap Deaths at least on the first playthrough. The majority of those deaths for me were the result of a lack of communication from the developer, like "How am I supposed to know that?"

But it looks like there is straight up 100% Bullshit unavoidable deaths that are clearly a result of poor game design/lack of testing.

I was watching this video yesterday... Take a look at 15:28 :lol:

phpBB [video]

Thankfully, I haven't run into such a situation myself, but there were moments when Ruvick spawned right infront of me and killed me, I guess it can be avoided (If you have a Cat reflexes) but c'mon!
Rikitatsu

Re: Cheap Deaths

Postby CandyLander » Oct 29, 2014 2:25 pm

The exact same thing happened to me. But that death, even though it was cheap, made me afraid of Ruvik for the rest of the chapter. Because I kept thinking he'd spawn everywhere.
Lost in the fog
CandyLander

Postby DampRevil » Oct 29, 2014 2:47 pm

I've never had a cheap death by Ruvik. He's always spawned relatively far away from me.
DampRevil

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DampRevil

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 29, 2014 4:37 pm

He spawned right behind me just now, but I maded to run into a room, and jump under a bed. I then saw him walk in straight after and check the wardrobe across from me, that was scary. Love this chapter
DaveOfTheDead87

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

Postby BradAKARob » Oct 29, 2014 7:43 pm

LoL that death at 15:28 is funny made my night, but if it was me I would not be laughing. : ( I only died in C9 one time from him so I got luckier then most I guess. Oh BTW guys I beat the game on Nightmare Mode yesterday and I am playing it again on Nightmare cause I forgot 2 documents but I did get the high penetration rifle and the burst handgun for map completion.

Back on topic I did see alot of people on youtube saying they were tired of being killed but I kinda just took it as all them being noobs to survival horror. : )
BradAKARob

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
XBL: FixedCandy

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 29, 2014 7:57 pm

I normally just laugh when I die, its part of it. I normally know, NOT to do something, but I think, sod it and I try something, and end up dying, I am still yet to be harmed by acid. Might have to see that tomorrow :D
DaveOfTheDead87

Postby BradAKARob » Oct 30, 2014 7:23 am

Dave,

You gotta die atleast one time from the acid that is the coolest way Seb can die IMO, it is very vicious. It like kills him no matter what like if you get hit your stuck there burning with green effects all over the place, I died from it just to see what would happen was pretty epic.
BradAKARob

XBL: FixedCandy

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Oct 30, 2014 2:47 pm

saw a pic of Seb with half his face melted in the art book, looked like two face off Batman lol, pretty messed up, I might just have to now. :p
DaveOfTheDead87

Postby Tyrant » Nov 11, 2014 10:02 pm

This was one of the most unpleasant parts in the entire game, which I think is a good thing. I felt a constant tension to hurry everywhere and save constantly. I would have loved to have been able to take my time in this area in particular being that its a mansion
Tyrant

Favorite Title: REmake

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 16, 2014 2:19 pm

I didn't have this happen to me, but I don't have a problem with it. Checkpoints are liberal, and it rackets up the tension. When it comes to other cheap deaths, I just don't see the problem. If you aren't going slow enough to notice traps, that's your fault, not the game's. Being one shot killed by enemies and bosses also makes the game more challenging, more cruel, and more survival horror. Most of the time the one shot deaths are avoidable, but the fact that some aren't gives the game a serious feeling of weight. It makes each encounter feel much more formidable, as one mistake can bring you down.

The environment also feels extremely deadly, which is a huge plus in my opinion. I know nobody here in this thread is explicitly complaining about cheap deaths, but the general consensus seems to be that the game is unfair, and worse as a result. I just figured I'd start some discussion on it, if possible
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak