Moving while Shooting

(Discuss the game)

Re: Moving while Shooting

Postby Saint Ste7en » May 23, 2013 1:57 am

Really? I heard that the melee in that game was clunky and the swings had to be timed properly in order for a successful hit. Then again that's only what I've heard; I've never actually played the game.

There's a big difference in difficulty and tension that revolves around moving while shooting. There's a monster coming at me and, with the ability to move, I can just keep backing up, keeping at a safe distance, and continue to shoot at it until it dies. Without moving, the monster keeps coming at me and the game gives me two options: I can either stand my ground, keep shooting, and hope it dies before it reaches me. OR I have to stop shooting and run away to get a fair distance away.

The Silent Hill 2 boss fights with Eddie and Pyramid Head (x2) would be DEAD easy if I could strafe and shoot. Get at a safe distance, shoot, and strafe around to keep the distance. But with the clunky controls I actually had to stop shooting at run away. If I didn't I got hit in a BAD way.

Honestly, I don't mind backing up while shooting because it's still fairly limited, but I just don't like strafing because it gives the player freedom to go anywhere while shooting.
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Favorite Title: Haunting Ground

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 23, 2013 6:17 am

ZombiU is a game that you should play yourself, because these days reviewers don't know how to review anymore.

The melee combat, while it takes some getting used to, soon becomes your default way of killing zombies, since you save your precious rounds (It works better than the RE knife).

Besides that stuff, it's what I consider "true" survival horror. (read viewtopic.php?f=4&t=148#p1691 for more on the game)
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Mr. Sean » May 25, 2013 11:56 am

I can understand the sentiment because I think we don't want another action shooter, but I wish we could get passed the idea that a true survival horror game requires a clunky control scheme. Deadly enemies, limited resources, spooky atmosphere, and a genuine fear of death should be the cornerstones of the genre, not fiddly controls. Then again, if the game is designed like how I hope its designed, then we may not be doing a lot of shooting at all.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby IkariKH » May 25, 2013 6:12 pm

I dont believe you need to limit your controls or abilities to create tension. Just design better AI that wont get trashed by someone simply strafing and shooting.

Ganado, Majini, J'avo etc. Are all doormats because theyre designed that way. The emphasis IS on you being able to just go to town on them and blast away. Which is why the games throw hundreds of them at you.

Design your enemies to actually pose a threat and your controls and abilities become essential to survival, not a cheat code to instantly beat moronic enemies who cant react to them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk
"This planet is mine, and now you will die!"
IkariKH

Postby Yama » Aug 12, 2013 1:53 pm

This topic is more or less moot now due to reticule bloom, which in this case is one of the best ways to allow control while limiting easy accuracy.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby dan76 » Sep 09, 2013 12:55 pm

I don't like moving whilst shooting in these types of games. It's a tricky thing to get right and balance without feeling crap. The limitation works briliantly in RE4 and creates tension. Being able to sidestep and roll around would've killed that game.

Moving and shooting can work, Dead Space is ok. But if it wants to be a truly scary game you can't have the protagonist running through it killing everything in style. Part of the fear has to be how you manage to deal with what the game throws at you without it feeling cheap.

Got to admit I was dissapointed to see that the camera doesn't lock behind you in this game. Seems to be free (like RE6) and there's no red sight. I hope there are a number of options to tweak the camera and aiming, but I'm guessing it won't.

Hi to everyone on the forum btw - just joined.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 11, 2013 2:27 am

dan76 wrote:Got to admit I was dissapointed to see that the camera doesn't lock behind you in this game. Seems to be free (like RE6) and there's no red sight. I hope there are a number of options to tweak the camera and aiming, but I'm guessing it won't.

Unlike you, I was relived to know that they didn't stick to RE4's camera system (which worked fine). The new camera system might potentially negatively effect the horror element since you can look behind you while moving, but I think its much better and less cumbersome gameplay wise, I'd like to have a good look on my environments, and besides this game got a lot of traps, so you need a more flexible camera to spot them.

Also, I wouldn't worry at all with moving and shooting, like Yama said above, your aim becomes laughable once you start moving as evident by some of the leaked footage. So this won't turn to a run and gun game.
Rikitatsu

Previous

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak