Moving while Shooting

(Discuss the game)

Re: Moving while Shooting

Postby Yama » Apr 30, 2013 1:51 am

I highly doubt it'll have tank controls and I'm all for a fluid control scheme that fits the modern bill. With that said, having tank doesn't mean you can't move and shoot. OBF2 did it just fine. Non-issue for me either way, the only reason I brought it up is because someone said it played "identical to Biohazard 4".
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Cyberote » Apr 30, 2013 9:14 am

I'm thinking it'll be more like the default in RE5. You press a direction to move that way, but your back is always to the camera and you use the right analog stick to turn. I remember Mikami saying he doesn't want the control scheme to be too smooth.
Cyberote

Postby skytrot » May 02, 2013 12:14 am

As mentioned in my first post. I would've preferred not to be able to move and shoot for the various reasons listed. However I'm not really bothered by the fact that moving while shooting is confirmed. Also, while I did find RE6's controls smooth(apart from taking cover), I couldn't help but feel that the game suffered overall because of it. The default speed of movement was way too fast for my liking and destroyed any atmosphere there was. When I got my copy, I then decided to play through the entire game walking and man does the game ooze atmosphere.

With regards to TEW, I think something along the likes of Shadows of the Damned would be perfect. The movement speed is not as fast as RE6's but not as restricted as RE4 and 5.
skytrot

Postby Cyberote » May 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Usually unless the game was meant to be run-and-gun, I don't move that much while I'm shooting. I barely did it in RE6. I used it mostly to reload while running from enemies. That's probably what I'm going to do with TEW. Play the game without moving and shooting unless I really have to. And if that point comes, I'm sure to get a nice scare out of it.
Cyberote

Postby Mr. Sean » May 04, 2013 1:14 am

Even in the most arcade-y FPS games your movement is slowed when you're aiming down the sight so I can't imagine that you will be moving at a breakneck speed while aiming. I also agree that your accuracy should suffer when you're moving about.

Something I did in RE6 and Revelations was exploring areas while constantly aiming. Not only am I always prepared when something wants to jump out at me, but it slows the pace of the game down, allowing me to soak in the atmosphere. Its also how I imagine someone would actually walk around if they happened to be in that kind of situation.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » May 14, 2013 8:55 am

I look at it like this, if a game gives the player the ability to shoot while running then your accuracy should be reduced severely to compensate for it. Your most accurate shot can only be done while standing still and the damage system from the previous Biohazards should return, where the closer the player, the more damage is delivered which led to some high risk=high reward encounters.

I still don't get why people don't like tank controls XD.......
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Postby Yama » May 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Kyosuke_Sanada wrote:I look at it like this, if a game gives the player the ability to shoot while running then your accuracy should be reduced severely to compensate for it. Your most accurate shot can only be done while standing still and the damage system from the previous Biohazards should return, where the closer the player, the more damage is delivered which led to some high risk=high reward encounters.

I still don't get why people don't like tank controls XD.......

In a game where the camera is not trailing the character, meaning static camera angles, 3D controls (tank) are much more precise than 2D. When the camera does trail, 3D feels a bit unorthodox. For their intended purpose, I too love them.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Saint Ste7en » May 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Mr. Sean wrote:I can understand not wanting run and gun style gameplay, but its not the 90's anymore. Not being able to move and shoot at the same time is pretty much unacceptable at this point. And please no tank controls. I'm am a firm believer that you can make a good survival horror game without it being a pain in the ass to control.

I am, also. However, I have yet to see one that has shooting in it. If the shooting is too easy it easily feels more like action and the monsters don't feel like much of a threat. Moving and strafing while aiming (like in Shadows of the Damned) makes the shooting very easy and monsters are not a threat at all unless they are dangerously-tough monstrosities that take thousands of bullets to take down.

With that said, I feel that the player should not be allowed to strafe while aiming. If it was an action game, by all means, let him move while aiming. But, if you make it too easy to fight in a horror game it just turns into a Dead Space monster-slaying hoedown.
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Favorite Title: Haunting Ground

Postby Mr. Sean » May 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Saint Ste7en wrote:I am, also. However, I have yet to see one that has shooting in it. If the shooting is too easy it easily feels more like action and the monsters don't feel like much of a threat. Moving and strafing while aiming (like in Shadows of the Damned) makes the shooting very easy and monsters are not a threat at all unless they are dangerously-tough monstrosities that take thousands of bullets to take down.

With that said, I feel that the player should not be allowed to strafe while aiming. If it was an action game, by all means, let him move while aiming. But, if you make it too easy to fight in a horror game it just turns into a Dead Space monster-slaying hoedown.

I don't see how that necessarily makes combat easy. If you're ammo is limited, If the enemies can take a couple of hits, and the areas are not totally wide open 100% f the time, it can still be difficult.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 22, 2013 11:45 pm

LOL...I've recently learned that controls don't necessarily have to be limited to make a true survival horror experience. My source?

Enter ZombiU. It has strafe, move and shoot, you name it. However, the zombies in that game show NO mercy. They act as bullet sponges and kill you...IN ONE HIT. Your best shot is to go for headshots. But the ammo (to my delight!) is EXTREMELY limited, so it's more risky to go that route. To regain your lost items, you have to fight a zombie...of yourself.

I would like to add that move and shoot actually ADDs to the tension, because subconsciously I started to back up while re-loading my gun...as a result, I couldn't aim as steadily, and a pack of 4 zombies attacked me from various angles. I continued to back up and fire shots desperately, hoping for a headshot. Unfortunately, that strategy lead to my demise. :(

My point is that the controls don't have to be tank controls to make a survival horror game difficult and merciless.
ProgenitorCastle

PreviousNext

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak