What's your "Load Game" philosophy? (Spoilers)

(Discuss the game)

What's your "Load Game" philosophy? (Spoilers)

Postby Lazarus753 » Oct 31, 2014 11:55 am

Hey guys. How do you play the game? Do you load when you make a mistake, like when you accidentally blow yourself up disarming a trap, or do you always play it out?

I'm maximizing the Survival Horror aspect of the game and just rolling with my losses (for better or worse). I'm playing cautiously and saving a lot as a result

Please no spoilers, as I'm only on Chapter 3
Last edited by Lazarus753 on Nov 17, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Re: What's your "Load Game" philosophy? (No Spoilers)

Postby dan76 » Oct 31, 2014 3:58 pm

I've never reloaded or made myself die because I wasted ammo or some such thing. To be honest I wasn't really aware that people did this until recently. There was a point on my nightmare play through where I had to restart a chapter because I just couldn't go any further - I had nothing left, so maybe that counts? It was either that or start a new game from the beginning.

It's a survival horror game so part of the "fun" comes from managing with the limited resources that you have, so yes, just keep ploughing through.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby CandyLander » Oct 31, 2014 5:37 pm

Depends on the dificulty. I didn't play Akumu yet, but I guess that I'd reload all the time. But, on survival/nightmare, I usually just try to play it out.
Lost in the fog
CandyLander

Postby Yulia » Nov 01, 2014 4:18 am

I always do this when playing second or third time if the game not too boring.
Yulia

Favorite Title: Silent Hill

Postby DeHeerser » Nov 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Yulia wrote:I always do this when playing second or third time if the game not too boring.

For me, the opposite. During my first playthrough I play as conservatively as possible, literally reloading if I get sucked into a cutscene because I wanted to gather and explore everything before proceeding.

Then once I have played through once I just roll with it because I know I have upgraded enough to beat all that stands in my way.
DeHeerser

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DeHeerser

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 02, 2014 8:31 pm

DeHeerser wrote:
Yulia wrote:I always do this when playing second or third time if the game not too boring.

For me, the opposite. During my first playthrough I play as conservatively as possible, literally reloading if I get sucked into a cutscene because I wanted to gather and explore everything before proceeding.

Then once I have played through once I just roll with it because I know I have upgraded enough to beat all that stands in my way.

See if I get screwed because a cutscene ended up blocking off the way behind me, I just roll with it. Even though I left a syringe behind. Even though I really wanted that god damn syringe.

That happened to me tonight :cry:
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Postby Tyrant » Nov 11, 2014 9:52 pm

I will just continue on as per normal and hope for the best
Tyrant

Favorite Title: REmake

Postby DeHeerser » Nov 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Lazarus753 wrote:
DeHeerser wrote:

See if I get screwed because a cutscene ended up blocking off the way behind me, I just roll with it. Even though I left a syringe behind. Even though I really wanted that god damn syringe.

That should never happen in a survival horror game to begin with. They made the mistake of making it linear without backtracking.

I mean that you get punished for being eager to explore, in a game where everything comes down to finding and optimizing scarce resources. Two doors. One triggers a cutscene that makes the building collapse, the other one opens to a storage room with some items. Then it just comes down to random luck.

In the good days you knew that you could go back to pick up items that you could not carry before, but while making it back new monsters could (and often would) be sneaking around... Today they go Hollywood style knocking skyscrapers down around you so that everything becomes blocked other than the linear way forward... Exploring isn't what it used to be...
DeHeerser

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 16, 2014 1:41 pm

DeHeerser wrote:
Lazarus753 wrote:See if I get screwed because a cutscene ended up blocking off the way behind me, I just roll with it. Even though I left a syringe behind. Even though I really wanted that god damn syringe.

That should never happen in a survival horror game to begin with. They made the mistake of making it linear without backtracking.

I mean that you get punished for being eager to explore, in a game where everything comes down to finding and optimizing scarce resources. Two doors. One triggers a cutscene that makes the building collapse, the other one opens to a storage room with some items. Then it just comes down to random luck.

In the good days you knew that you could go back to pick up items that you could not carry before, but while making it back new monsters could (and often would) be sneaking around... Today they go Hollywood style knocking skyscrapers down around you so that everything becomes blocked other than the linear way forward... Exploring isn't what it used to be...

I have absolutely no problem with this. I know it's a gameplay mechanic, but I view it as part of the experience. It's essentially the world (Ruvik) ****ing with you, but it could also be happening by chance in some situations (as in the city landscape constantly shifting). Either way, it's a piece of the narrative, and the end result is that it leads you deeper into the madness and horror
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Re: What's your "Load Game" philosophy? (Spoilers)

Postby DeHeerser » Nov 17, 2014 10:34 am

The story isn't strong enough to justify the full deviation from tried and tested environment based survival horror. Also being erratic is not the same as being pulled by madness and horror.
DeHeerser

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak