What's your "Load Game" philosophy? (Spoilers)

(Discuss the game)

Re: What's your "Load Game" philosophy? (Spoilers)

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 17, 2014 12:00 pm

DeHeerser wrote:The story isn't strong enough to justify the full deviation from tried and tested environment based survival horror. Also being erratic is not the same as being pulled by madness and horror.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I totally respect your viewpoint, but I disagree about the story. It's hugely interesting to not have everything spelled out for you point blank. The Evil Within gives up information sparingly, and it requires multiple playthroughs (or online discussion) to better piece together the different elements of the narrative. More horror games need to leave loose ends like this, as it instills the game with a genuine sense of terror. I get the creeps thinking about the cult, as well as Julie Kidman, Jiminez, and that foreign organization they're apart of. It's nice to have to actually think about the story and the small details while playing

Edit: Yeah, it's totally understandable that you don't like the deviation from the traditional survival horror formula. I don't blame you for that at all, especially considering that The Evil Within was marketed as a true return to the genre
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Postby DeHeerser » Nov 18, 2014 6:25 am

I agree with your underlying proposition: not everything needs to be spelled out and leaving the player to piece together the narrative with different interpretations possible. But then these different interpretations need different endings and different paths to support them. RE and SH accomplished this (more or less) whereas Evil Within is always the same no matter what you do. Being thrown from situation A into a completely new situation just defeats the point of slowly conquering/clearing your environment. For instance in REmake you went all the way through the mansion to find gasoline to burn zombies just to feel a bit safer. In Evil Within you can do the same with matches but then what's the point if one second later you are completely cut off from your past?

For instance in the Cathedral I triggered the cutscene by speaking to Joseph before I had searched everything. The Cathedral then changed into a dungeon so I just reloaded. But for the same goes this had been triggered by taking something from the altar. Having twisted, suspense-building logic is not the same as filling plotholes with random logic! It comes across as if they first made the cool chapters, then lacked the time to cement it together properly and so used Ruvik as failsafe.
DeHeerser

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DeHeerser

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Yeah, both fortunately, and unfortunately, it's in the nature of the game that environments shift, change, or disappear altogether. You're often cut off from previous areas, and I can definitely see how that could annoy or frustrate traditional survival horror fans — especially considering that's a staple of the genre. Personally, as a newcomer to survival horror, I like it. I understand that I may be in the minority, though. And it's definitely a valid complaint. However, I don't think Tango glued together a disjointed game. The Evil Within doesn't feel that way to me at all
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Postby FadedBlackangel » Nov 18, 2014 5:10 pm

This game made a lot of mistakes but it also did a lot of things right. The enemy designs are great, the lighting looks fantastic, the environments not only look excellent but they are interesting, and they definitely captured *some* of that old school survival horror. It's a solid game overall.

That being said I really wish they had done the multiple endings thing (and many other things). It would have given this game some much needed replay value.

But after playing TEW, one of my fears about what the survivor horror genre has become was realized. I don't think we are ever going to get another AAA survival horror game without some scripted, railed gun shooting sequence in it. I think the survival horror of 1996 is long gone, and that every single survival horror game we get from now on is going to have a railed shooting sequence in it. And I can guarantee you RE: Revelations 2 will have one.

It's just an observation I've made from watching the Resident Evil series develop. Granted I don't usually stray far from the Resident Evil series save Silent Hill and a few other games in the survival horror genre.

PSN: FadedBlackangel
XBL: FadedBlackangel
Wii U: FadedArchangel

Postby DeHeerser » Nov 18, 2014 7:14 pm

Perhaps we should move this discussion towards this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=507

Also what I did not mention here is that Kidman locks up Sebastian, saying "you are tainted now", only to join up with him a moment later in the bus-scene?

And what does the blue-light drop falling upon Sebastian from the sky mean? No explanation, or even a clue to this is given whatsoever.

And the part where you hear Kidman and Leslie speaking beneath the Cathedral... Why didn't she just kill him there and then? Since it is her mission to kill Leslie?

And Ruvik's history... One part of it says he was brought to the mental hospital after the fire. There he started working together with Jimenez and began training in neuroscience. He later returned to kill his parents. Another part of his history says that, after the fire incident, he was so horrendously scarred that his father wanted to forget about him, and locked him up in the mansion-basement. Ruvik escapes at some point and kills his father, saying "you thought you could just forget about me, lock me away?" He also kills his mother in the sweep, even though he knew his mother missed him and considered that her husband might be lying about Ruvik's disappearance.

What is good about Evil Within is the gameplay, the atmosphere, the level of graphic detail. The overhanging vibe of ominous, impending doom and being submerged in vast, outstretched desolation. I mean the feeling that comes over you when you stand in an old, antique study. Before you stretches out a destroyed city; thrown into chaos, now ruled by hordes of the possessed undead. The golden gloam of a settling sun falls into the room and shimmers on the hands of a looming, stately grandfather clock. The feeling that this copper glint gives off is the impression of a fleeting, inevitable time that molds concrete to dust and grinds mountains into deserts - the immovable oblivion of time that is felt at a quiet Sunday afternoon and that you know will one day foreshadow the end of the world.

That, and the grittiness of masked evil-clown killers, who murder for the heck of it. They hunt you. They stalk the neonlights of derelect narrow corridors, hunting for prey to torture in forgotten old parts of town where junkies and hookers now roam. And the brutality of the bosses and the weapons and the way you control your character: running, sneaking, sneak-kills, shooting and throwing grenades and then everything together. Taking this atmosphere and gameplay they have established, they can easily build a formidable sequel. Kind of like how RE1 set the tone for RE2, or SH2 and 3 compared to SH1. Unless they mess up. Which they probably will, following the previous "on rails shooter" comment.

Is there a way that we can write a letter to the creators of the game, or even to Shinji Mikami himself?
DeHeerser

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DeHeerser

Previous

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak