Last-Gen version looks radically different

(Discuss the game)

Last-Gen version looks radically different

Postby Rikitatsu » Nov 02, 2014 6:45 pm

I was surprised when I watched this video of Ch.9 on X360, it looks extremely different atmosphere wise. The mansion itself, the library, the rooms... They've got a completely different tone than the PC/Current-Gen version...

phpBB [video]

I gotta say, I like the last-gen atmosphere more!
Rikitatsu

Re: Last-Gen version looks radically different

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 02, 2014 7:20 pm

I don't want to spoil the story for myself, so I'm gonna comment again after I find an earlier episode of that walkthrough.
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Postby CandyLander » Nov 02, 2014 9:41 pm

What are the differences? I watched the video but I don't see anything.
Lost in the fog
CandyLander

Postby Rikitatsu » Nov 03, 2014 8:49 am

CandyLander wrote:What are the differences? I watched the video but I don't see anything.

You might want to open a video of the current-gen version and compare, the difference in lighting and tone is very pronounced.

Also, I forgot to mention that you can't walk in the sunflower field in the last-gen version, it transports you to the barn from the beginning.
Rikitatsu

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 03, 2014 1:22 pm

It appears that the lighting is a lot worse in the PS3/360 version of the game, which might be what contributes to a darker atmosphere. I was just comparing Chapter 1 on PC to the PS3/360 versions of the game, and it's amazing how much less blood there is when you first enter the hospital. The next gen versions have like 400% more gore in that area. It'd be interesting to watch a Let's Play of last gen TEW, just to see how the versions differ.

Hell, I feel like buying copies of the last gen versions just to increase TEW's sales.
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Postby DampRevil » Nov 03, 2014 6:51 pm

I like the current gen versions better. The advanced lighting gives off a nostalgic vibe. As for the automatic teleporting in the sunflower field, my guess is that the consoles can't handle the walk maybe.
DampRevil

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DampRevil

Postby robflee23 » Nov 03, 2014 11:02 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
CandyLander wrote:What are the differences? I watched the video but I don't see anything.

You might want to open a video of the current-gen version and compare, the difference in lighting and tone is very pronounced.

Also, I forgot to mention that you can't walk in the sunflower field in the last-gen version, it transports you to the barn from the beginning.

I NOTICED THAT TOO. That the last-gen version doesn't let you walkthrough the sunflowers. I bought the PS3 version for my brother, and the PC version for myself. I played through it first on my PC, then watched him play through the whole game. Still the game is technically the same, but the last-gen versions just look, in all honesty, bad. The lighting isn't very good, the texture pop in is absolutely horrible, and it just looks like PS2 game.
robflee23

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby DaveOfTheDead87 » Nov 04, 2014 2:23 am

lol I can't even play my ps4 version after playing it maxed on pc. its a Huge difference, textures are AMAZING, lighting..theres so many levels :p
DaveOfTheDead87

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Daveofthedead87
Steam: Diamonfang1

Postby extravagant » Nov 16, 2014 10:26 pm

honestly Rikitatsu I don't like the PS3/360 version.

I beat the game on the PS3 version and when I watch other people play the PS4 or PC version, it looks tremendously better. I think you're just seeing the grass on the other side. In the PS3 version there are far more glitches and silly graphical issues. The mansion in chapter 9 is fully lit up as if someone turned on all the lights or candles in the mansion. Wasn't scary to me at all, I liked the darkness better in the original PS4/PC release.

Also, in the PS3 version you see NO PARTICLES at all whatsoever. The game is completely bland because of that. I got really pissed off because I didn't get the see the textures, mist, fog, dust, particles, and other finer details that made the PS4/PC version look way more superior. Not only that, the lighting seems to be far more detailed and radiant in the PS4 version.

Sebastian's face also looks less animated and a little more choppy and blocky in the PS3 version.
extravagant

Favorite Title: REmake, The Evil

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 16, 2014 11:27 pm

extravagant wrote:honestly Rikitatsu I don't like the PS3/360 version.

I beat the game on the PS3 version and when I watch other people play the PS4 or PC version, it looks tremendously better. I think you're just seeing the grass on the other side. In the PS3 version there are far more glitches and silly graphical issues. The mansion in chapter 9 is fully lit up as if someone turned on all the lights or candles in the mansion. Wasn't scary to me at all, I liked the darkness better in the original PS4/PC release.

Also, in the PS3 version you see NO PARTICLES at all whatsoever. The game is completely bland because of that. I got really pissed off because I didn't get the see the textures, mist, fog, dust, particles, and other finer details that made the PS4/PC version look way more superior. Not only that, the lighting seems to be far more detailed and radiant in the PS4 version.

Sebastian's face also looks less animated and a little more choppy and blocky in the PS3 version.

Did you get to see the bubbles and floating... debris? (for lack of a better word)
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak