Hardest part of Akumu for me

(Discuss the game)

Re: Hardest part of Akumu for me

Postby dan76 » Nov 11, 2014 9:47 am

Lazarus753 wrote:I've never heard so much whining about the most difficult game mode in a video game. What the hell did you guys expect when you started a new game on Akumu? It's supposed to be balls to the wall frustrating. It's supposed to be the most challenge the game can give you.

The QQ in this thread is real bad

The problem is that sometimes on Nightmare and Akumu the game feels broken. It's fine having one hit kills aggressive enemies etc, but if the game glitches and drops frames in extremely hectic situations it becomes frustrating. And also, whilst I kind of liked the black bars for most of the game they really hinder the game play in certain sections.

Personally I really liked chapters 11 and 12. What I really didn't like were the chapter 6 and chapter 10 difficulty spikes.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby FadedBlackangel » Nov 11, 2014 12:27 pm

For the record, I wasn't complaining about Akumu mode, rather the unpolished mechanics of the game itself. I fully understand what Akumu mode is. All I was saying is that the games flaws become very apparent in Akumu mode since even the slightest error results in death.

Akumu mode is a fantastic challenge. That being said, in a mode where every single action, every bullet, and every single match matters, I don't want to be dealing with buggy game mechanics. When you create a mode like Akumu the player should at least be able to rely on game mechanics that function properly. It's a huge risk to drop a match in Akumu since your not immune to damage, so when I do, I expect the matches to work as intended.

It's not just the matches either, I could go on but the point I was trying to make is that Akumu mode would have been the perfect challenge had the game mechanics been more polished. I'm sitting here remembering when the game was initially delayed but then moved up a week. They should have taken that week and at least attempted to fix some of the issues with this game.

To the people struggling with chapter 6:

- To start. Don't give up! Lazarus753 is right guys, the game was designed to fuck with your head. Even if the game was 100% polished and everything worked as intended, Akumu mode was made to be unforgiving and brutal.

- If you're stuck in the burning house (which you probably are if your on chapter 6), immediately when you get control run to the lower right corner where Joseph is and shoot the barrel when the two enemies get close. It's a fairly reliable way to dispose of the fist two guys, but be careful because it can kill you as well if you're too close. You must be quick.

- After the first two are dead. Grab the ax the enemy on the left drops and run over to the table and grab the flash bolt (this will come in handy later). Then kick the second red barrel close to the left window. Dash over to the right window and ax whoever comes through the window (should be only one guy) then immediately turn and shoot the barrel to ignite the two enemies that come through the left window. ~ Tip~ remember you can kick the barrel after you've shot it. So to make sure you get both enemies you can kick the barrel at them.

- After that it's up to you. I personally stood near Joseph and blasted anyone that got close with the shotgun, ran around a bit and bought some time until Joseph got the door opened. If you have the resources a well placed incendiary bolt in the lower right corner where Joseph is can make things a lot easier. If you stand near Joseph and shoot the incendiary bolt in front of you the enemies will sort of get funneled as they attempt to grab you or Joseph.

Second Part ~

- This is the most brutal part, the lack of a checkpoint between rooms is insane. The key weapons here are the shock, flash, and explosive bolts as well as anything you got left to fight with. But before I start the key here is to buy time, not kill everything. That means you'll most likely be running around in a panic at some point during the second room.

- To start, grab the freeze and explosive bolts and start to make you way to where the door is. Shoot two explosive bolts, one at the ground in front of each red barrels in the room. If you have more resources shoot a third explosive bolt on the pile of debris where the enemies drop down . Standing where Joseph and the door is, shoot shock bolts at the ground in front of you to lay a trap for any enemy that comes too close.

- After this it's really dependent on what resources you have. Having lots of parts to make bolts with will make this part a bit easier. Incendiary traps work well. But if your going through Akumu for the first time you probably won't have much. The important thing to remember is that when you get overwhelmed at your position its time to start running around and using the flash bolts to stun everyone. If you notice a group of them together a well placed grenade can clear some of them out. Just use the flash bolts whenever they recover from the stun, and pray Joseph gets the door open before you get torn to shreds.

That's all I got for now. I hope that helps someone. Good luck and take care!

PSN: FadedBlackangel
XBL: FadedBlackangel
Wii U: FadedArchangel

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 11, 2014 1:23 pm

dan76 wrote:
Lazarus753 wrote:I've never heard so much whining about the most difficult game mode in a video game. What the hell did you guys expect when you started a new game on Akumu? It's supposed to be balls to the wall frustrating. It's supposed to be the most challenge the game can give you.

The QQ in this thread is real bad

The problem is that sometimes on Nightmare and Akumu the game feels broken. It's fine having one hit kills aggressive enemies etc, but if the game glitches and drops frames in extremely hectic situations it becomes frustrating. And also, whilst I kind of liked the black bars for most of the game they really hinder the game play in certain sections.

Personally I really liked chapters 11 and 12. What I really didn't like were the chapter 6 and chapter 10 difficulty spikes.

I play on PC and have never had any framerate drops, but I agree that the situation you described would be frustrating.

I'll admit that TEW has minor issues, but all in all they're almost not even worth talking about. I've had a match not light once, maybe twice in 11 chapters. Also, why is it that no one complains about the black bars in RE4? Talk about double standards. Furthermore, name me a survival horror game with a perfect camera system. About 90% of games in this genre have this same issue — only much, much worse

This game gets a bad rap for absolutely no reason
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Postby dan76 » Nov 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Resident Evil 4 has a 16:9 field of view, which is now the standard aspect ration of TV's etc. back when it came out 16:9 tv's were becoming more popular. TEW has something like 2.35:1, maybe even 2.50:1, that of a CinemaScope film... I mean it's looks great, but doesn't lend itself to playing great.

I love the game, but there is a lot that I think could be improved upon.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 11, 2014 3:52 pm

dan76 wrote:Resident Evil 4 has a 16:9 field of view, which is now the standard aspect ration of TV's etc. back when it came out 16:9 tv's were becoming more popular. TEW has something like 2.35:1, maybe even 2.50:1, that of a CinemaScope film...

Valid points, but I still feel the black bars are a non-issue

Oh, and very nice guide Faded. Awesome work
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Postby FadedBlackangel » Nov 12, 2014 11:36 am

Lazarus753 wrote:Oh, and very nice guide Faded. Awesome work

Thanks.

If anyone has any tips that could make Akumu mode a little more manageable don't hesitate to share them here. I'm still playing through myself, but if anyone is having trouble on a specific part just post about it and I'll share what I did to get through that part. Maybe it will help.

PSN: FadedBlackangel
XBL: FadedBlackangel
Wii U: FadedArchangel

Postby Rikitatsu » Nov 12, 2014 12:11 pm

FadedBlackangel wrote:
Lazarus753 wrote:Oh, and very nice guide Faded. Awesome work

Thanks.

If anyone has any tips that could make Akumu mode a little more manageable don't hesitate to share them here. I'm still playing through myself, but if anyone is having trouble on a specific part just post about it and I'll share what I did to get through that part. Maybe it will help.

You might want to watch John Johanas (Tango Dev) playthrough of Akumu on Twitch, not sure if it's archived... But he still haven't finished it, so you can catch on.

I watched him clear the first 6 chapters and he made it look easy (He did die a few times though), he is up to Ch.9 right now, not sure when he's gonna stream again, but you can keep an eye on his twitch page http://www.twitch.tv/chibicookies

I learned quite a few strategies by watching.
Rikitatsu

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 12, 2014 3:42 pm

On second thought, I'll admit that the black bars could be considered a minor issue – but I'd still rather play with them than without them. I have the option to play without them, and trust me, the game doesn't have the same feel (in a negative way)

Edit: Clarified my opinions
Last edited by Lazarus753 on Nov 12, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Postby robflee23 » Nov 12, 2014 3:52 pm

I completed Akumu 2 days ago, and the hardest Chapters for me for 6, 11, and 12. I managed to get through 13-15 in one shot. To me it almost seems like Akumu was just kind of thrown in there, because while it is a good challenge, it's not a fair challenge by any means. If I die by a bear trap in tall grass because I literally could not see it, that's not fair. If I die by a boss because I used too much ammo on the smaller enemies before me, that is my fault and I prob deserve to die by that boss. I think Akumu should've been something like the keys and lockers are disabled, as is the upgrading system, and stealth is taken away, literally FORCING you to confront every enemy instead of being able to stealth kill or sneak past them.
robflee23

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby SweetPoison13 » Nov 17, 2014 3:23 pm

The most difficult Chapters for me in AKUMU were Chapters 6, 11, and 12. I had planned to do a “no keys” and “no upgrades” run on AKUMU. I know that sounds insane but things were going great until Chapter 6 rolled around. I found myself upgrading the Agony Crossbow and some bolts for it only in Chapters 6 and 11.
Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison
SweetPoison13
Evil Takes Hold

Favorite Title: Silent Hill 2
PSN: SweetPoison13
XBL: SweetPoison13

PreviousNext

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak