For the record, I wasn't complaining about Akumu mode, rather the unpolished mechanics of the game itself. I fully understand what Akumu mode is. All I was saying is that the games flaws become very apparent in Akumu mode since even the slightest error results in death.
Akumu mode is a fantastic challenge. That being said, in a mode where every single action, every bullet, and every single match matters, I don't want to be dealing with buggy game mechanics. When you create a mode like Akumu the player should at least be able to rely on game mechanics that function properly. It's a huge risk to drop a match in Akumu since your not immune to damage, so when I do, I expect the matches to work as intended.
It's not just the matches either, I could go on but the point I was trying to make is that Akumu mode would have been the perfect challenge had the game mechanics been more polished. I'm sitting here remembering when the game was initially delayed but then moved up a week. They should have taken that week and at least attempted to fix some of the issues with this game.
To the people struggling with chapter 6:
- To start. Don't give up! Lazarus753 is right guys, the game was designed to fuck with your head. Even if the game was 100% polished and everything worked as intended, Akumu mode was made to be unforgiving and brutal.
- If you're stuck in the burning house (which you probably are if your on chapter 6), immediately when you get control run to the lower right corner where Joseph is and shoot the barrel when the two enemies get close. It's a fairly reliable way to dispose of the fist two guys, but be careful because it can kill you as well if you're too close. You must be quick.
- After the first two are dead. Grab the ax the enemy on the left drops and run over to the table and grab the flash bolt (this will come in handy later). Then kick the second red barrel close to the left window. Dash over to the right window and ax whoever comes through the window (should be only one guy) then immediately turn and shoot the barrel to ignite the two enemies that come through the left window. ~ Tip~ remember you can kick the barrel after you've shot it. So to make sure you get both enemies you can kick the barrel at them.
- After that it's up to you. I personally stood near Joseph and blasted anyone that got close with the shotgun, ran around a bit and bought some time until Joseph got the door opened. If you have the resources a well placed incendiary bolt in the lower right corner where Joseph is can make things a lot easier. If you stand near Joseph and shoot the incendiary bolt in front of you the enemies will sort of get funneled as they attempt to grab you or Joseph.
Second Part ~
- This is the most brutal part, the lack of a checkpoint between rooms is insane. The key weapons here are the shock, flash, and explosive bolts as well as anything you got left to fight with. But before I start the key here is to buy time, not kill everything. That means you'll most likely be running around in a panic at some point during the second room.
- To start, grab the freeze and explosive bolts and start to make you way to where the door is. Shoot two explosive bolts, one at the ground in front of each red barrels in the room. If you have more resources shoot a third explosive bolt on the pile of debris where the enemies drop down . Standing where Joseph and the door is, shoot shock bolts at the ground in front of you to lay a trap for any enemy that comes too close.
- After this it's really dependent on what resources you have. Having lots of parts to make bolts with will make this part a bit easier. Incendiary traps work well. But if your going through Akumu for the first time you probably won't have much. The important thing to remember is that when you get overwhelmed at your position its time to start running around and using the flash bolts to stun everyone. If you notice a group of them together a well placed grenade can clear some of them out. Just use the flash bolts whenever they recover from the stun, and pray Joseph gets the door open before you get torn to shreds.
That's all I got for now. I hope that helps someone. Good luck and take care!