High chance that Zwei's protagonist is female

(Discuss the game)

High chance that Zwei's protagonist is female

Postby skytrot » Mar 19, 2013 11:12 am

Just found out that 3 out of the 6 games (not counting Remake) Shinji Mikami has directed feature female protagonists. Jill Valentine from RE, Regina from Dino Crisis and Vanessa Z. Schneider from P.N.03. Not to mention that the Director of the Zwei is female and was the character designer for Bayonetta. I think it's pretty likely and I'd welcome that. Thoughts?
skytrot

Re: High chance that Zwei's protagonist is female

Postby Onestand » Mar 19, 2013 11:54 am

Well, I would love to see a female protagonist in Zwei, but the big question is how unique the character design is.

For example, Resident Evil series has more than two female protagonists, Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield and Rebecca Chambers. Each of these three characters looks different and very unique with very interesting and different personality.

This one of the main reasons what makes Resident Evil is so appealing.
Last edited by Onestand on Mar 19, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onestand

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am

skytrot wrote: Not to mention that the Director of the Zwei is female and was the character designer for Bayonetta. I think it's pretty likely and I'd welcome that. Thoughts?

Ikumi Nakamura is not the director of Project ZWEI, that's just some misunderstanding perpetuated by NeoGAF. Mikami is the director. And she was not the character designer on Bayonetta, she was a concept artist.

...That aside, I don't see how there's particularly high chance for a female protagonist, Vanquish, Godhand, RE4, and Original RE (to an extent) all had Male protagonists. I'd say its 50/50 chance for a female protagonist in this game. Although some early artworks from Tango showed a Masked Man, there is no proof those artworks are related to ZWEI.
Rikitatsu

Postby Yama » Mar 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Oddly enough, as much as I would like this, I immediately pictured a male protagonist. Not sure if it's due to current industry cliches or my own silly association with the name, that being the character from Soul Calibur V. Despite gender, I'm sure the protagonist of the game will be highly interesting.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby CandyLander » Mar 19, 2013 2:06 pm

I also was imagining the game would have a male protagonist (no idea of why I thought that). And, if they're going to use a female main character, I'm just hoping they don't abuse on the sex appeal like in haunted grounds (I think that was the name) and make her more of a realistic character like heather from SH3. Theres also the posibility we'll have more than one playable character like in the early resident evils.
Lost in the fog
CandyLander

Postby skytrot » Mar 20, 2013 1:21 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
skytrot wrote: Not to mention that the Director of the Zwei is female and was the character designer for Bayonetta. I think it's pretty likely and I'd welcome that. Thoughts?

Ikumi Nakamura is not the director of Project ZWEI, that's just some misunderstanding perpetuated by NeoGAF. Mikami is the director. And she was not the character designer on Bayonetta, she was a concept artist.

...That aside, I don't see how there's particularly high chance for a female protagonist, Vanquish, Godhand, RE4, and Original RE (to an extent) all had Male protagonists. I'd say its 50/50 chance for a female protagonist in this game. Although some early artworks from Tango showed a Masked Man, there is no proof those artworks are related to ZWEI.

Ahh yes my bad. I kept thinking that she is the character designer for Bayonetta as Character designers are just a subset of Concept Designers in the West.

Hmmm I think this part is a little gray. I know that you posted a twitter reply from Ikumi Nakamura stating that Shinji Mikami is directing but an interview with Famitsu states that Mikami is Exec Director. Also, I remember reading from a pretty reliable source (not NeoGaf) that Mikami is grooming Nakamura before he stops directing altogether. Edit: Found it
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/35 ... top_banner

Not to mention that a blog post on the Tango website states that Nakamura is Game Director.
http://blog-en.tangogameworks.com/post/ ... amura-game

and Mikami is director
http://blog-en.tangogameworks.com/post/ ... i-director

So yea.... it's still pretty unclear but one thing's for sure, Mikami is definitely the guy making the final decisions.

Haha maybe I'm just a little too excited but yea, 50/50 is still a pretty good chance IMO.
skytrot

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 20, 2013 8:22 am

Her position in Tango is "director", but for Project ZWEI specifically, Mikami is taking that position.

To be honest, I don't know what her role in ZWEI's development is, she might be co-director or something along the lines, its pretty clear her involvement in the project is very major, though. :)
Rikitatsu

Postby Saint Ste7en » Mar 29, 2013 1:19 am

I would love for Project Zwei to have a female protagonist. There's been a lot of sexism involved in the video game industry and it's frustrating in the worst way. Even more frustrating as the annoying feminists like Anita Sarkeesian whose goal is apparently more about attacking male fantasies than the *actual* sexist issues in the industry. Such as the incredible difficulty of getting a female character on the cover of the box art? I was so absolutely frustrated when I heard that Elizabeth was put on the back of the box art of Bioshock Infinite, more or less, because she's a woman. Has anyone read up on Jean-Max Morris' interview where he talks about how he had a hard time selling off Remember Me to publishers because the main character is a woman?

Project Zwei having a female protagonist would be great, although I don't think the fact that Mikami has used female protagonists in the past means that the game has a "high chance" of having a female protagonist.

CandyLander wrote:And, if they're going to use a female main character, I'm just hoping they don't abuse on the sex appeal like in haunted grounds (I think that was the name)
If that's what it takes to get a female protagonist than I'm all for it. Haunting Ground wouldn't be anywhere NEAR as intimidating if it had a male protagonist that was able to fight back more than a weak little kick and a shove.
Acta Est Fabula
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Favorite Title: Haunting Ground

Postby yuri102010 » Apr 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Why not have multiple scenarios like in RE 2 where you pick the character and complete the scenario with that character but it opens up with another scenario with another character where you can find out what happen to the character and also changes the game-play for the other character as well...such as new scenes and side stories other nifty secrets.
yuri102010

Favorite Title: Silent Hill
XBL: Minchi1983

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak