Ideas/Improvements for sequel

(Discuss the game)

Ideas/Improvements for sequel

Postby Tyrant » Nov 16, 2014 8:00 pm

okay...... so where to start.


Story:

So.. this is a big thing for me. The idea that you're basically spending the entire game inside someones little dream land has that "f*** u" feel to it at the end. Like its not real. Obviously this is a bit of a blurry line in the game of TEW but I would prefer theres none of this mind-surfing business and bring the story out into the open full time. It would make the game feel completely different, and in my opinion better.


Environments:

This one is also linked to story, but I would prefer less environments, that are larger, with more backtracking. Think mansion/police station.... No I dont want it to be RE, but Mikami was on the right track with keeping players isolated in those particular areas.


Inventory:

Remake it. Do something else with it. I'm not sure. But even the old RE inventory screens seem more interesting to me than what was used here. The real-time slow mo part is good though. Keep that.


Guns:

Larger variety would be good. This wont break the game imo because the ammo can be heavily limited (like it is with the magnum for example)


Enemies:

No problem with any of the enemies in the game, just a larger variety for the regular enemies would be good.
Tyrant
 
Posts: 41
Joined: October 2013
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Favorite Title: REmake

Re: Ideas/Improvements for sequel

Postby Rikitatsu » Nov 16, 2014 8:48 pm

I don't think I actually want a sequel...Some of my gripes with this game are very integral to it's identity, if you try to fix them it won't be The Evil Within anymore.

It's as you say, I wasn't a fan of "It's all in the mind" approach, and it'll most likely be even less effective in a sequel.
Image
User avatar
Rikitatsu
Moderator
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: November 2012
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: Ideas/Improvements for sequel

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 16, 2014 9:25 pm

I love the game as is. It might actually be the best game I've ever played, and that's crazy to think about. I've played a lot of games, but it's like The Evil Within was tailor made for me. I wouldn't request any changes; I'd trust Tango to make any alterations they wanted. They made a stellar game here, and I believe that the mainstream critics are wrong on almost every front. Sure, the game has minor issues, but they are very small in comparison to the overall package.

I'm honestly hoping for more of the same, just with a different spin on it. I'm kind of thinking that Leslie is going to end up being Ruvik in TEW II. We see him leaving the parking lot at the end, and Kidman does say that he is going to "become" something. I think she represents the foreign presence at the hospital, is part of that organization, and...

Well, I don't even want to go into it. I was left with a feeling of horror once the game closed. The story leaves loose ends on purpose, and that made it so much more creepy.

And Rikitatsu, maybe we should switch spots. I don't think I'd make a better moderator (without practice), but I do think I'm much more enthused about the game. Not your fault that you didn't end up liking the game that much, but still...

Maybe we shouldn't trade spots, but why not make me a moderator? It's a lot to ask, but I'm right passionate about this game.
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
User avatar
Lazarus753
Leatherface
 
Posts: 177
Joined: May 2014
Location: STEM
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Re: Ideas/Improvements for sequel

Postby Tyrant » Nov 16, 2014 9:47 pm

yes despite my small suggestions, i actually still rank the game in at 9/10 overall. and while i would be "ok" with receiving more of the same, ill be happier if they deliver some of the changes i mentioned. i do believe it would be possible for them to keep the general idea of the game and still do away with the mind-stuff.

if you think of sebastian as some kind of super-natural detective/hunter person then that opens the game up more. i mean maybe they could throw him into something to do with aliens, or maybe he visits some silent-hillesque town. theres just much more you could do if he wasnt stuck in his someones head.
Tyrant
 
Posts: 41
Joined: October 2013
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Favorite Title: REmake

Re: Ideas/Improvements for sequel

Postby dan76 » Nov 16, 2014 10:30 pm

This is more a list of what I didn't like in TEW and would want changed if there were a sequel, but that's not to say I don't think this game is great.

1. I've no problem with the story, but with the way it was told. It's the same with all modern games, and I know a lot of people play games for the "experience" and not pure gameplay. I just want gameplay, if I want an engrossing story I'll read a book or watch an old movie.

With TEW, I would have set it up differently. At the start of the game someone, either Sabastians ex partner or whoever turns up after being missing for some time. They're babbling about the asylum, a guy called Ruvik, the Stem, a mansion etc. Sebastian then goes to the Asylum and the game begins. That's the main cut scene in the whole game, sets everything up. You start experiencing the different things the guy was talking about. You have a couple of short cutscenes, but that's basically it. All gameplay.

The first play through was fine, but it doesn't lend itself to repeated playthroughs. Too often it felt like there were small pockets of gameplay in between cutscenes. It's pretty bare in some sections - what the hell was going on in the final chapter just running through empty rooms and corridors? I think RE4 probably has twice as much gameplay (and hardly any cut scenes to get it the way). I know some cutscenes were skippable, but often large parts of them weren't.

2. The save system. Not good in this. Takes way too long to simply save, too much story tied to saving. I really can't see why limiting the number of saves like the original RE isn't used here. Saves from RE1, inventory from RE4.

3. The agony crossbow. It's great but takes less skill than landing a headshot. A fully upgraded flash bolt basically makes any situation with crowds a joke. Gun feedback is so good the whole game could've been built around the pistol, shotgun and rifle.

4. Environments. More mansion, a huge mansion, at least half of the game. Hopefully if there is a sequel it will be set in the real world now that Ruvik is (probably) out. Less zapping about etc.

5. No AI co-op. Again, I don't know why Mikami put this in. The more I think about it TEW isn't the long lost sequel to RE4 but RE6 done right.

6. More open exploration.

7. Absolutely no one hit kill enemies. No invisible ones either.

8. Some kind of raid / arcade mode.

EDIT:
9. Various control options. Free camera (as it is) or sticky camera RE4/5. FOV options and the choice of laser pointer (classic) or crosshair (modern) aiming modes.

I guess I don't have many new ideas for a sequel, I just want more of the good stuff - chapter 3,9,10. Less padding, less AI co-op, fewer cut scenes. I'll just say that everything in TEW is done well - and at it's worst it's still very good.
User avatar
dan76
 
Posts: 132
Joined: September 2013
Location: London
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 15 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Re: Ideas/Improvements for sequel

Postby Rikitatsu » Nov 16, 2014 11:47 pm

Lazarus753 wrote:And Rikitatsu, maybe we should switch spots. I don't think I'd make a better moderator (without practice), but I do think I'm much more enthused about the game. Not your fault that you didn't end up liking the game that much, but still...

Maybe we shouldn't trade spots, but why not make me a moderator? It's a lot to ask, but I'm right passionate about this game.

Well, that's not up to me unfortunately.
And don't get me wrong, I really like the game A LOT. But I feel a sequel wouldn't really alleviate my gripes with the first game unless it changes up things drastically, to the point it's closer to a new IP.

Tyrant wrote:if you think of sebastian as some kind of super-natural detective/hunter person then that opens the game up more. i mean maybe they could throw him into something to do with aliens, or maybe he visits some silent-hillesque town. theres just much more you could do if he wasnt stuck in his someones head.

But then that would be ridiculous. Why would you call it The Evil Within 2 if it abandons the first games' story and had you fighting against Aliens? You might as well make a new IP.

dan76 wrote:7. Absolutely no one hit kill enemies. No invisible ones either.

I don't understand why people hate the invisible enemies, they're a stroke of genius! One of the best enemies in the game. And you meet like, 4 or 5 of them in the whole game? Never once did I feel they were cheap as the areas they appeared in leaves a lot of cues to their position (Moving furniture, puddles, doors, etc...). Hell, if you have a flash bolt they can never even bother you.
Image
User avatar
Rikitatsu
Moderator
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: November 2012
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: Ideas/Improvements for sequel

Postby Tyrant » Nov 16, 2014 11:56 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Tyrant wrote:if you think of sebastian as some kind of super-natural detective/hunter person then that opens the game up more. i mean maybe they could throw him into something to do with aliens, or maybe he visits some silent-hillesque town. theres just much more you could do if he wasnt stuck in his someones head.

But then that would be ridiculous. Why would you call it The Evil Within 2 if it abandons the first games' story and had you fighting against Aliens? You might as well make a new IP.





not really. by that logic, why is the entire resident evil series have its name? arguably it only makes sense with RE1, after that, theres no point. and i dont think anyone cares about the name so long as the same characters and core elements that make the game fun are still there.
Tyrant
 
Posts: 41
Joined: October 2013
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Favorite Title: REmake

Re: Ideas/Improvements for sequel

Postby Rikitatsu » Nov 17, 2014 12:10 am

Tyrant wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:
Tyrant wrote:if you think of sebastian as some kind of super-natural detective/hunter person then that opens the game up more. i mean maybe they could throw him into something to do with aliens, or maybe he visits some silent-hillesque town. theres just much more you could do if he wasnt stuck in his someones head.

But then that would be ridiculous. Why would you call it The Evil Within 2 if it abandons the first games' story and had you fighting against Aliens? You might as well make a new IP.





not really. by that logic, why is the entire resident evil series have its name? arguably it only makes sense with RE1, after that, theres no point. and i dont think anyone cares about the name so long as the same characters and core elements that make the game fun are still there.

I wasn't talking about the name, but rather the concept of the first game. Which is a horror adventure in the unstable world of a psycho's mind. Even game mechanics like burning enemies are tied to the story (The way the enemies lit up instantly if you throw a match is due to Ruvic's traumatic memory in the barn, at least that's what I think).

If you throw all that away, what are you left with? A bare-bones TPS? Like I said, might as well make a New IP as there is no reason to keep in under TEW's name if you abandon the story and go against Aliens.
Image
User avatar
Rikitatsu
Moderator
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: November 2012
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: Ideas/Improvements for sequel

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 17, 2014 10:12 am

Rikitatsu wrote:I don't understand why people hate the invisible enemies, they're a stroke of genius! One of the best enemies in the game. And you meet like, 4 or 5 of them in the whole game? Never once did I feel they were cheap as the areas they appeared in leaves a lot of cues to their position (Moving furniture, puddles, doors, etc...). Hell, if you have a flash bolt they can never even bother you.


I don't understand either. I'm also fine with the one hit kills. People who go into a horror game expecting it to be completely on the level seem foolish to me. Of course the game is going to mess with you. And the thing is, the game isn't explicitly unfair. The checkpoints are very liberally placed
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
User avatar
Lazarus753
Leatherface
 
Posts: 177
Joined: May 2014
Location: STEM
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753


Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests