The Evil Within 2 is highly possible, and I have high hopes!

(Discuss the game)

The Evil Within 2 is highly possible, and I have high hopes!

Postby extravagant » Nov 16, 2014 10:07 pm

First before anything, watch this video:

5 Questions The Evil Within Leaves Unanswered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPnTj6oGI-U

I actually learned some things from watching this video that I didnt know about. I had no idea Kidman was from the same organization as Jimenez, and I also had no idea that Ruvik is speculated to have (successfully) occupied Leslie's body.

If that is the case, then there are so many questions to be answered for a sequel. I mean, think about it, TEW is a great game amongst most of us, but amongst the masses, there is lots of flak and hate that it is getting from people. Metacritic users have a 121-41 ratio (Good-to-bad ratio) of the game. The game suffered lots of complaints such as the 60 FPS issues, the letterbox complaints, and a lot of other technical problems that went along with it.

I personally don't have issues but the masses are all complaining about this shit. Honestly, we don't even know what happens to Sebastian's family and kids, and also Leslie and Kidman. I predict that the Kidman DLC will have her pursuing that Leslie/Ruvik occupant, but there are so many more questions and also possibilities to lead itself into a new iteration.

Think of it this way: all these unanswered questions and ALL those complaints that people bitched about, maybe if Shinji Mikami is feeling optimistic he could see it all as a test game. Afterall, the very first RE (1996) wasn't that great anyway, and the real successor of the entire classic RE series was the REmake. RE2 was a revolutionary upgrade from RE1, and RE3 was even better. And then RE:0 and REmake came out and it was like the best the series could've gotten with the classic controls, pre-rendered backgrounds, and etc...

so what's my point? I get a feeling that Shinji Mikami himself can learn from the mistakes he's made from this game and improve upon it and master this new field of survival horror. Give the artist time to craft his work, fix his mistakes, improve his colors and fine tune his art and he gets better each time.

If you look at RE1 (1996) and then you play REmake (2002), the games are a direct reflection of an artist director learning from his mistakes over the years and then sharpening his tools for a better iteration with each few years.

so what do you think??
extravagant

Favorite Title: REmake, The Evil

Re: The Evil Within 2 is highly possible, and I have high ho

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 16, 2014 10:21 pm

Absolutely. I feel like this game has a lot of potential for a sequel, and I'd kill for one. The core elements are addicting, the story leaves room for growth/explanation, there's room for expansion of the basic concepts (traps, crafting, character/weapon upgrading), and I'm sure there are a million more horrific creatures waiting to be designed.
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Postby extravagant » Nov 16, 2014 10:32 pm

A lot of people are also complaining about the "I wasn't scared at all by this game!" factor, but those people who make this complaint fall under two categories:

1) They ones who say it isn't scary, but deep down are actual closet much too afraid to actually play it, but wanna come off as macho douchebags and just play the game until chapter 3 and bitch and moan for the rest of their lives. Or, these are the guys who say the game isn't scary because the game has bad controls. Yes, they seriously said that. Makes no sense, right? Casual gamers....

2) People who have been playing survival horror, psychological horror, horror, and many other types of horror games since 1996, have sort of grown a thick skin for horror games in general. Think about it, that's nearly over 15 years of horror game experience. Do you really think we're always going to be a virgin to it?? I personally was scared several times of TEW to a point where I wasn't confident marching forward because it was pretty creepy. Aside from that though, my main point was that the game still scares people who don't live and breathe survival horror like some of us hardcore players do. So it still delivers well to the newbie gamer, casual gamer, intermediate gamer, but not just the pro survival horror gamers. Kinda like watching too much horror movies, you stop getting scared after a while.
extravagant

Postby extravagant » Nov 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Lazarus753 wrote:Absolutely. I feel like this game has a lot of potential for a sequel, and I'd kill for one. The core elements are addicting, the story leaves room for growth/explanation, there's room for expansion of the basic concepts (traps, crafting, character/weapon upgrading), and I'm sure there are a million more horrific creatures waiting to be designed.

Exactly. We must also remember that Shinji Mikami is starting a new series. He left his beloved RE series that he spent most of his life on and has to start something new. The only reason why most of his RE games were good is because we all gave him time to learn on implementing improvements, tying up story loose ends, improving gameplay, improving the horror aspect, controls, enemies, characters, and everything else.

Hey, Shinji Mikami has to start ALL the way over because he continue his works off the RE series. So that only means that when you start trotting off into another game's work, there's bound to be more stress, and more mistakes in the beginning because you're starting a new game.

Resident Evil only did so well because with each iteration Mikami was fine tuning his art, so we just needa allow him to grow with TEW and have hopes for him that this IP can because a prospering franchise.
extravagant

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 16, 2014 11:10 pm

extravagant wrote:
Lazarus753 wrote:Absolutely. I feel like this game has a lot of potential for a sequel, and I'd kill for one. The core elements are addicting, the story leaves room for growth/explanation, there's room for expansion of the basic concepts (traps, crafting, character/weapon upgrading), and I'm sure there are a million more horrific creatures waiting to be designed.

Exactly. We must also remember that Shinji Mikami is starting a new series. He left his beloved RE series that he spent most of his life on and has to start something new. The only reason why most of his RE games were good is because we all gave him time to learn on implementing improvements, tying up story loose ends, improving gameplay, improving the horror aspect, controls, enemies, characters, and everything else.

Hey, Shinji Mikami has to start ALL the way over because he continue his works off the RE series. So that only means that when you start trotting off into another game's work, there's bound to be more stress, and more mistakes in the beginning because you're starting a new game.

Resident Evil only did so well because with each iteration Mikami was fine tuning his art, so we just needa allow him to grow with TEW and have hopes for him that this IP can because a prospering franchise.

We've got to be objective too, though. Remember that RE1-4 was the result of Mikami + CAPCOM, not just Mikami. I know it's obvious, but I think we all forget sometimes that there's a large team behind his games as well. It's possible that the people at Tango are simply less experienced than the CAPCOM devs were. I mean, don't get me wrong, as much as I don't like to bash this game at all, it does have some issues. I just think they're pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. This game as a whole feels like a work of art.

Also, it could be that Bethesda let the game out the door a little too soon. That's entirely possible, I think. The main thing that makes me think this is the apparent FPS drops on Xbox One & PS4. I'm lucky that I have the game on PC and experience no such thing, but yeah, that's a sign that something isn't technically sound. And the matches are a little bit glitchy. I'm sure someone noticed that, and they planned to fix it, but ended up running out of time. The matches work like 95% of the time, so I understand that they let that slide
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Postby Lazarus753 » Nov 16, 2014 11:22 pm

extravagant wrote:A lot of people are also complaining about the "I wasn't scared at all by this game!" factor, but those people who make this complaint fall under two categories:

1) They ones who say it isn't scary, but deep down are actual closet much too afraid to actually play it, but wanna come off as macho douchebags and just play the game until chapter 3 and bitch and moan for the rest of their lives. Or, these are the guys who say the game isn't scary because the game has bad controls. Yes, they seriously said that. Makes no sense, right? Casual gamers....

2) People who have been playing survival horror, psychological horror, horror, and many other types of horror games since 1996, have sort of grown a thick skin for horror games in general. Think about it, that's nearly over 15 years of horror game experience. Do you really think we're always going to be a virgin to it?? I personally was scared several times of TEW to a point where I wasn't confident marching forward because it was pretty creepy. Aside from that though, my main point was that the game still scares people who don't live and breathe survival horror like some of us hardcore players do. So it still delivers well to the newbie gamer, casual gamer, intermediate gamer, but not just the pro survival horror gamers. Kinda like watching too much horror movies, you stop getting scared after a while.

Honestly, this was pretty much my first survival horror game. I messed around with RE4, and I prepped for this by beating Dead Space, but that's about it. I was hyping this game big time, but I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to play it due to fear.

Anyways, I got through it. But just like you, there were quite a few times where I was like "whelp, ****, I don't want to continue". The beginning was gut wrenching, and my heart was pounding in Chapter 3. I honestly thought it was going to burst out of my chest. There were lots of moments like that, but what really hooked me is when the game started to slowly ramp up the intensity. I felt like as Sebastian became more experienced and better equipped to deal with the horror, so did I (psychologically). Ammo was often scarce, but I felt more and more in control. It felt empowering, after all the fear of the first ten chapters, but the game was still pretty unforgiving

People complain about the last 4 or 5 chapters being "too action oriented", but I don't see that as a bad thing. The game still gives off serious horror vibes in even the most action oriented parts, and the pacing really works to the game's benefit. I do understand that all of this could be off putting to long time fans of the survival horror genre. I definitely understand that, but as a newcomer to the genre, it felt great
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Postby Jocifer666 » Dec 08, 2014 5:47 pm

I think TEW polarized some people, because they went in expecting too much. People need to understand, that this game isn't RE4, or the REmake, or even another RE game. While it shares similarities with those games, it really has it's own identity. It's significantly darker and more intricate than any of the RE games before it, and I think that surprised people. If they went in expecting TEW on it's own terms, and by keeping their expectations in check, rather than wanting it to be RE 4, I think they would've enjoyed it much more.

I also think people don't understand what survival horror entails anymore. People seem to think that, unless you're running all the time, it's not survival horror. The majority of classic RE games 1-4 gave you all the resources you needed, you just needed to figure out when to use them. TEW builds upon that, you have scarce resources- where you have to then improvise, so you can survive using only those resources. Unlike the last levels of the almighty RE4, and of course 5-6, I never felt overpowered in this game. Even in the most action oriented parts of Chapter 6 and Chapter 12, I always felt overwhelmed-which is the exact feeling survival horror needs to give you. I did scare me more than any other game I can think of, too :).

I actually adored the game. I just beat it yesterday finally, and I look forward to doing it again. I do think the mythos of the game has more than enough potential to make sequels from, and I do think they could be very very interesting followups. I would also agree that this is the start of something new, and that Mikami and Co. will use this as a testing ground for future games in the series, much how they did with Biohazard 1996. It is planned to be the beginning of franchise I believe, jah? It's selling well, so they can definitely follow it up.

I do think Capcom is a better studio technically than Bethesda are, and I think that's what TEW was missing- The RE games post Mikami are all creatively lacking, but they are technically excellent, as opposed to TEW. But to be honest, if you play games and try to isolate every technical flaw you see, you'll bound to be disappointed. Every beauty has wrinkles up close ;).

Would you guys be down with a Directors Cut of the game, that would contain all of the DLC, remastered graphics, different enemy placements, more puzzles, and new areas? Much how Biohazard Director's Cut was, back in 1998? I would so buy that. I do think it would do the game good.

Unless Mikami and Capcom put aside their past and reunite, I'm significantly more excited for the next Psycho Break games than for the RE games.

I'm also working on an idea for a sequel for Psycho Break, just for funsies. I'll pitch it to you guys, when it's done in the oven.
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Postby Lazarus753 » Dec 10, 2014 9:10 pm

I like your attitude a lot, Jocifer. It's nice to see some positivity. I completely agree; people expected this game to be RE4, and it's silly. I don't think that this game was ever intentionally trying to be Resident Evil, although there are some similarities. However, this is due to the nature of Mikami's mind, as well as his inclinations, and that's about it. If you look at the overall structure of the game, it doesn't really scream "Resident Evil". It's much more serious and psychological. The way I see it, The Evil Within is its own beast entirely, and I love it for everything it did, or tried to do.

I honestly get tired of the Resident Evil fans who complain about Psycho Break. I can't wait until they move on.
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Postby Jocifer666 » Dec 11, 2014 12:44 am

Thanks man! Stereotypical Resident Evil fans complain about everything, and I doubt they'll ever be happy, personally. I find them tiresome, and tend to avoid them even more so than other fans ^^. They're so perpetually cynical and unhappy, that I don't even think a REmake of RE 2 and 3 would cheer them up :). That insult isn't intended to anyone on this board, either. You guys are great people ;). You know who I'm referring to.

I'll be honest, as great as the classic RE games are, they are quite cheesy and campy. But they're supposed to be, they're B movies with action movie characters. This game was more of a horror version of Inception, if it can even be called that, as it's implications are a fair share darker than that great film. Unlike the RE games, where the cause of the monsters is one source that explains it all, Psycho Break's explanation is more subversive and it requires more play throughs to understand fully. More games too, I'd say.

All that aside, I'm waiting for fan pages like Beacon Mental Hospital to pop up, in the near future. Much how there are sites of Birkin's Laboratory, and Crimson Head. I think there will be, in good time. RE fans aside, this series will pick up it's own :).

Strange thing is, I forgot this was even from Shinji Mikami from time to time. It only loosely reminded me
of the almighty REmake and RE4, rumblings of The Suffering and Manhunt and Siren echoed much more prominently to me ;). And that's not a bad thing!
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Postby Lazarus753 » Dec 13, 2014 11:15 am

Jocifer666 wrote:I'll be honest, as great as the classic RE games are, they are quite cheesy and campy. But they're supposed to be, they're B movies with action movie characters.

And that, folks, is why I don't like Resident Evil.

Alright, okay, I liked the Outbreak games. That's about it
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak