The Consequence DLC Discussion Thread [Out Now]

(Discuss the game)

Re: The Consequence DLC Discussion Thread [Out Now]

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Welcome to the forum!

You know, I like some of these theories, especially that part about Mobius trying to make Sebastian compatible.
But sadly, all of these theories go a bit too far unto the speculation side. At this point, it seems like the game is telling us "It's up to your interpretation". And that's something I never personally liked in any medium. The DLC didn't answer much, instead it threw even more questions.

And still no one is trying to explain why they would bring up the existence of a Wireless STEM? Seems like a lot of people would like to believe Sebastian and Co. are kidnapped and plugged physically to STEM prior to the game's beginning, but why mention the Wireless STEM at all, if so?
Image
User avatar
Rikitatsu
Moderator
 
Posts: 1320
Joined: November 2012
Has thanked: 152 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: The Consequence DLC Discussion Thread [Out Now]

Postby DampRevil » Apr 26, 2015 10:27 pm

berto wrote:I don't remember there been any advertising implying that this DLC had the answers, but even so, I prefer when something isn't clear cut, speculation and analysis is fun and I get a kick out of it.


I recall a few descriptions for the DLC's stating that we will learn a lot from them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these DLC's didn't really tell us much that we didn't already know.
Image
User avatar
DampRevil
 
Posts: 253
Joined: July 2013
Location: Florida
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 11 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DampRevil

Re: The Consequence DLC Discussion Thread [Out Now]

Postby berto » Apr 26, 2015 10:48 pm

Autoignition wrote:First and foremost, though, it sounds like everyone here missed all the pieces to the torn letter. It's really really important for understanding the ending of The Consequence.

No, I didn't miss it and I'm pretty positive most of us got it. I've even mentioned the content regarding that certain shadowy figure in a theory I posted before.

As for your theory, it's certainly a theory and it might have merit but I am having a hard time reading the text, it's real tiny in my screen. With what I can make out I certainly agree that memories are jumbled and with each person it's different things happening but I don't know if I agree with your take on the missing persons posters or how they relate to Seb's memories. I gotta think about it before I say with a definitive yay or nay.

Rikitatsu wrote:You know, I like some of these theories, especially that part about Mobius trying to make Sebastian compatible.
But sadly, all of these theories go a bit too far unto the speculation side. At this point, it seems like the game is telling us "It's up to your interpretation". And that's something I never personally liked in any medium. The DLC didn't answer much, instead it threw even more questions.

And still no one is trying to explain why they would bring up the existence of a Wireless STEM? Seems like a lot of people would like to believe Sebastian and Co. are kidnapped and plugged physically to STEM prior to the game's beginning, but why mention the Wireless STEM at all, if so?

I love them. Interpretation might lead to disagreement and solid statement might be more favorable but it doesn't lead to conversations like these.

As for the wi-fi STEM, the reason they mentioned it was because that pulse and the high pitch sound we hear throughout the game is the wireless STEM. The bring it up because it's the pulse that has such a drastic effect on all.

DampRevil wrote:
berto wrote:I don't remember there been any advertising implying that this DLC had the answers, but even so, I prefer when something isn't clear cut, speculation and analysis is fun and I get a kick out of it.


I recall a few descriptions for the DLC's stating that we will learn a lot from them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these DLC's didn't really tell us much that we didn't already know.

Oh, that's not entirely true. They told us what Juli did and who she was, that she was part of that cult that the Victoriano family was, told us what Mobius was the Umbrella of TEW, shed a lot of light on how things worked inside of the STEM and other things here and there. I honestly think the answers are there but there is just so much to go through that it's easy to miss things here and there.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
User avatar
berto
 
Posts: 45
Joined: April 2015
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Re: The Consequence DLC Discussion Thread [Out Now]

Postby Autoignition » Apr 27, 2015 5:31 am

Rikitatsu wrote:Welcome to the forum!

You know, I like some of these theories, especially that part about Mobius trying to make Sebastian compatible.
But sadly, all of these theories go a bit too far unto the speculation side. At this point, it seems like the game is telling us "It's up to your interpretation". And that's something I never personally liked in any medium. The DLC didn't answer much, instead it threw even more questions.

And still no one is trying to explain why they would bring up the existence of a Wireless STEM? Seems like a lot of people would like to believe Sebastian and Co. are kidnapped and plugged physically to STEM prior to the game's beginning, but why mention the Wireless STEM at all, if so?


Thank you! :D

Aw, I always liked speculation in games though. Breaking down Rule of Rose was one of the most fun storytelling puzzles in games for me when it came out. TEW feels like doing that all over again.

It almost seems like the wireless STEM is there to make the player question if we ever actually see the real world at all. But I still think that we do... The few cutscenes in Sebastian's campaign where it seems like he's regaining a glimmer of consciousness can be explained better with wireless STEM, I think. Like the one in chapter 2 where he's being wheeled into what appears to be a morgue. It's like Mobius dragged him out of the car after he was dragged into STEM wirelessly and stored him away somewhere until they put him into their own terminal to monitor him.

Some of those scenes still bother me, though. Like the one at the beginning of chapter 6 (I think?) where Seb sees the doctor standing over him with a lobotomy spike and he momentarily turns into Kidman. And the one at the beginning of chapter 15 where he sees his own doppelganger and it shoots him. That one in particular still annoys me, because I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

berto wrote:
Autoignition wrote:First and foremost, though, it sounds like everyone here missed all the pieces to the torn letter. It's really really important for understanding the ending of The Consequence.

No, I didn't miss it and I'm pretty positive most of us got it. I've even mentioned the content regarding that certain shadowy figure in a theory I posted before.


Ah, sorry! I must've missed that.

berto wrote:As for your theory, it's certainly a theory and it might have merit but I am having a hard time reading the text, it's real tiny in my screen. With what I can make out I certainly agree that memories are jumbled and with each person it's different things happening but I don't know if I agree with your take on the missing persons posters or how they relate to Seb's memories. I gotta think about it before I say with a definitive yay or nay.


That was just a shot in the dark for me, to be honest, because I was trying to reconcile what John Johanas said about them being a reflection on the type of person Sebastian is. I'm eager to see what you come up with, though. I'm 100% ready to be wrong lmfao. I just want something that makes sense, and right now that was the best I could do.

berto wrote:As for the wi-fi STEM, the reason they mentioned it was because that pulse and the high pitch sound we hear throughout the game is the wireless STEM. The bring it up because it's the pulse that has such a drastic effect on all.


That reminds me of something else I'm having trouble with.

At the end of The Consequence, Myra tells Kidman that it's been 37 minutes since the first pulse. I don't... know what that means. Does that mean that the entire game takes place in the span of only 37 minutes? There's another theory on tumblr (and I can't find the post atm as I'm at work, sorry) that I saw where someone posited that time in STEM acts differently from the waking world. They said that every time we see a pulse in the distance right before a scenery change, that it's a different layer added to STEM, and the deeper into the layers you go, the more time slows down. I don't know how I feel about that yet, because if I accept this theory, I'm going to drive myself crazy with mapping out the different layers of STEM and boy I'm not ready for that.

But what REALLY bothers me is how Kidman never seems to wake up from STEM. When the ending starts, she's just standing there in the middle of the room, and Myra talks to her as though she's been there the whole time, even though Kidman says she doesn't know how she got there. It makes me think of the one conscious cutscene I mentioned earlier with the doctor turning into Kidman. When the doctor DOES turn to Kidman in that scene, the background that she's in is identical to the terminal in the ending. It's like she's been looking after Sebastian in the waking world the whole time, but... We know that she's been in STEM. Except she was still walking around and working in the real world, according to Myra? I think? And that doctor that Sebastian keeps seeing... He's in the model viewer for The Assignment as a Haunted. If they're just reusing assets, that's one hell of a model to accidentally reuse. I don't think it was an accident, though. So what the hell even?
User avatar
Autoignition
Moderator
 
Posts: 130
Joined: April 2015
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 33 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Re: The Consequence DLC Discussion Thread [Out Now]

Postby Lazarus753 » Apr 27, 2015 11:52 am

Autoignition wrote:Hello friends. I just found out today that this place existed, so I peeked in and wanted to see what the discussion was around here. Looks like there isn't much yet, so I figured I'd let you guys take a look at what the tumblr side of the fandom is working on and see what you think of it.

First and foremost, though, it sounds like everyone here missed all the pieces to the torn letter. It's really really important for understanding the ending of The Consequence.

“This machine, this system… I was reborn inside and I will be reborn again. For every person STEM touches, a seed of myself will be within them. Piece by piece I will corrupt you, consume you.

I envision a world where a mere glance of the eye will allow me to spread on to the next. Just as you said, I am a ghost, but now I have a vessel in all of you.

The man from Mobius… he entered here lusting for some sort of power long ago.

As for you… Kid… even if you happen to escape, I will leave my mark on you as I did to him.”


Anyway, so I saw you guys talking about the missing persons posters. We have two different theories about this right now. (Massive spoilers for all these links, btw.) 1 & 2

There's a post about perceived inconsistencies here.

And then there's another little theory here.

Let me know what you guys think. We're struggling a little bit with putting the pieces together, too, so I hope that having a few extra sets of eyes on our talking points might help everyone reach a better consensus as to wtf is going on.

Oh, also. One last little thing I wanted to bring up here.

Joseph is alive. You see two Mobius goons carting him off somewhere during the ending (dragging him the same way the Haunted did when they were trying to put him into the guillotine, actually). But before that, when you're standing in the STEM terminal before the end (the part where you can shoot Ruvik's brain), if you stand next to Joseph's tub, you can hear his heartbeat. You can also hear Seb, Juli's, and Leslie's. But if you stand next to Jimenez and Connelly, there's nothing. Just silence. I thought that was a nice little detail. :D

Hey. Welcome to the forum. I'm interested about this tumblr community you're talking about, but suck at tumblr cuz I've never used it. Sent me a link to the main TEW section or whatever?
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
User avatar
Lazarus753
Leatherface
 
Posts: 177
Joined: May 2014
Location: STEM
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Re: The Consequence DLC Discussion Thread [Out Now]

Postby Autoignition » Apr 27, 2015 3:55 pm

Lazarus753 wrote:Hey. Welcome to the forum. I'm interested about this tumblr community you're talking about, but suck at tumblr cuz I've never used it. Sent me a link to the main TEW section or whatever?


That's... the problem, unfortunately. The way tumblr is set up, there is no set community. You can search through the tag, but that's just a hodgepodge of art and stories and reactions to the game and everything under the sun. If you're looking for dedicated meta and discussion, the best you can do is set up a blog and follow the right people. That's why I was so excited when I saw that there was a fan forum in existence. There's no organization or overarching sense of community on tumblr, which makes it hard to engage the fandom as a whole and get a roundtable discussion going.

I'll put a pitch onto my blog to see if I can send any people from over there onto here, but I can't exactly guarantee anything. :c Really makes me miss the days of fandom on livejournal, where the format lent itself to these sorts of things.
User avatar
Autoignition
Moderator
 
Posts: 130
Joined: April 2015
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 33 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Re: The Consequence DLC Discussion Thread [Out Now]

Postby berto » Apr 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Autoignition wrote:Ah, sorry! I must've missed that.[/spoiler]

I don't know if I am ready to forgive you yet. How can I trust you after all you've said? :cry:

Autoignition wrote:That reminds me of something else I'm having trouble with.

At the end of The Consequence, Myra tells Kidman that it's been 37 minutes since the first pulse. I don't... know what that means. Does that mean that the entire game takes place in the span of only 37 minutes? There's another theory on tumblr (and I can't find the post atm as I'm at work, sorry) that I saw where someone posited that time in STEM acts differently from the waking world. They said that every time we see a pulse in the distance right before a scenery change, that it's a different layer added to STEM, and the deeper into the layers you go, the more time slows down. I don't know how I feel about that yet, because if I accept this theory, I'm going to drive myself crazy with mapping out the different layers of STEM and boy I'm not ready for that.

But what REALLY bothers me is how Kidman never seems to wake up from STEM. When the ending starts, she's just standing there in the middle of the room, and Myra talks to her as though she's been there the whole time, even though Kidman says she doesn't know how she got there. It makes me think of the one conscious cutscene I mentioned earlier with the doctor turning into Kidman. When the doctor DOES turn to Kidman in that scene, the background that she's in is identical to the terminal in the ending. It's like she's been looking after Sebastian in the waking world the whole time, but... We know that she's been in STEM. Except she was still walking around and working in the real world, according to Myra? I think? And that doctor that Sebastian keeps seeing... He's in the model viewer for The Assignment as a Haunted. If they're just reusing assets, that's one hell of a model to accidentally reuse. I don't think it was an accident, though. So what the hell even?


Well...
I still think it's an Inception sort of logic, that time in the dream expands the further into the subconscious you go. For Juli, who was protected, it felt like hours, but for Seb who was pulled deep inside of the psychi of Rubik it was a much longer time. Kinda like the theory you're talking about except that I don't think they are going through layers with the pulse but rather through the memories of the people currently connected to the STEM. Juli, Jimenez, and Rubik all have memories of the town, the church, and the Victoriano estate, Jimenez with the Hospital, Mobius, and other parts where there are tubs with victims, and the city is a part of all of their memories. Juli still sees, most of the time, a closer representation of the real world, like the Mobius lab, but in the dark and not decayed or corroded and while she can see how they move she doesn't see or experience what they do, kinda like two people remembering the same thing; It's the same events but they remember it differently.

I have another theory. When Rubik, at the end, pulls Seb into his 'eye,' or the depths of his subconscious. I don't think that that's Rubik's mind he is in but Seb's own and the thing he killed, that giant parasite in his brain, was the seed that Rubik leave behind everyone. So while he is still susceptible to the STEM he doesn't have a piece of Rubik like everyone else who's entered the system.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
User avatar
berto
 
Posts: 45
Joined: April 2015
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Re: The Consequence DLC Discussion Thread [Out Now]

Postby Lazarus753 » Apr 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Autoignition wrote:
Lazarus753 wrote:Hey. Welcome to the forum. I'm interested about this tumblr community you're talking about, but suck at tumblr cuz I've never used it. Sent me a link to the main TEW section or whatever?


That's... the problem, unfortunately. The way tumblr is set up, there is no set community. You can search through the tag, but that's just a hodgepodge of art and stories and reactions to the game and everything under the sun. If you're looking for dedicated meta and discussion, the best you can do is set up a blog and follow the right people. That's why I was so excited when I saw that there was a fan forum in existence. There's no organization or overarching sense of community on tumblr, which makes it hard to engage the fandom as a whole and get a roundtable discussion going.

I'll put a pitch onto my blog to see if I can send any people from over there onto here, but I can't exactly guarantee anything. :c Really makes me miss the days of fandom on livejournal, where the format lent itself to these sorts of things.


Ah, I see. Too bad. Definitely send the TEW peeps you know over here, as we'd love to have them.

I'll respond to this thread after I've beaten the DLC (I gotta get on that), as I'm trying not too spoiler myself too much. I don't really care, but still, it's nice to be surprised. I'll be making The Consequence my current gaming priority now – I was just into Mortal Kombat X at the time of release, haha.
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
User avatar
Lazarus753
Leatherface
 
Posts: 177
Joined: May 2014
Location: STEM
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Re: The Consequence DLC Discussion Thread [Out Now]

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 28, 2015 6:03 pm

berto wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:You know, I like some of these theories, especially that part about Mobius trying to make Sebastian compatible.
But sadly, all of these theories go a bit too far unto the speculation side. At this point, it seems like the game is telling us "It's up to your interpretation". And that's something I never personally liked in any medium. The DLC didn't answer much, instead it threw even more questions.

And still no one is trying to explain why they would bring up the existence of a Wireless STEM? Seems like a lot of people would like to believe Sebastian and Co. are kidnapped and plugged physically to STEM prior to the game's beginning, but why mention the Wireless STEM at all, if so?

I love them. Interpretation might lead to disagreement and solid statement might be more favorable but it doesn't lead to conversations like these.

As for the wi-fi STEM, the reason they mentioned it was because that pulse and the high pitch sound we hear throughout the game is the wireless STEM. The bring it up because it's the pulse that has such a drastic effect on all.

I love theorizing and trying to put the game's plot together, but right now you could think of a lot of different theories and you still could be right. Everything is so vague, and a lot of story bits are contradictory. This isn't satisfying to me.

In regards to the Wireless STEM, the high pitch sounds are heard when STEM is activated in general, not just the Wireless STEM. Also, the reason they mentioned it because they wanted to explain how Sebastian and Co got into STEM in the first place, that's what it seemed to me.

Also, what makes you say the Pulse had drastic effect? They never explained that the Pulse does, did they? It's just something Myra mentioned.
Image
User avatar
Rikitatsu
Moderator
 
Posts: 1320
Joined: November 2012
Has thanked: 152 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: The Consequence DLC Discussion Thread [Out Now]

Postby berto » Apr 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
berto wrote:Also, what makes you say the Pulse had drastic effect? They never explained that the Pulse does, did they? It's just something Myra mentioned.

Because whenever they hear or see the pulse the s### hits the fan. They hear it and they enter the STEM. You see the pulse and either Rubik is coming or you are about to fall or be warped to somewhere worse than you already are. Nothing positive happens whenever you see or hear the pulse,0 but more than that, nothing ever not happens.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
User avatar
berto
 
Posts: 45
Joined: April 2015
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

PreviousNext

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests