The Executioner DLC Hype Thread

(Discuss the game)

Re: The Executioner DLC Hype Thread

Postby Lazarus753 » May 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:What do you mean? 90% of the DLCs is forced Stealth with no way to defend yourself. Save for for a few encounters in The Consequence. It definitely falls short on Mikami's definition.

t's not really abstract at all, both Mikami, Tango, and Bethesda were trumpeting this definition since the game was teased back in 2012, they did it over and over again in countless interviews.

Mikami coined the term "Survival Horror" with Resident Evil 1, so if anyone knows what Survival Horror means, it's him. The DLCs are like Outlast and Amnesia, for the most part.

Evading things that can slaughter you in seconds, when you have nothing to defend yourself – in a horror setting – is, in fact, survival horror. Also, you do end up eventually overcoming the things that haunt you. You eventually get a gun, and when you do, you take your revenge on the Shade. She dies for good, and kicking/crushing the spotlight is a very satisfying moment. Boom. Definition fulfilled. Also, you overcome the leader of Mobius in the final encounter of The Consequence.

What do you think the Tango staff, or even Mikami himself, would say if you asked him this question? They would undoubtedly call The Assignment and The Consequence survival horror. You're high if you think otherwise.
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Postby Rikitatsu » May 16, 2015 7:23 pm

Lazarus753 wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:What do you mean? 90% of the DLCs is forced Stealth with no way to defend yourself. Save for for a few encounters in The Consequence. It definitely falls short on Mikami's definition.

t's not really abstract at all, both Mikami, Tango, and Bethesda were trumpeting this definition since the game was teased back in 2012, they did it over and over again in countless interviews.

Mikami coined the term "Survival Horror" with Resident Evil 1, so if anyone knows what Survival Horror means, it's him. The DLCs are like Outlast and Amnesia, for the most part.

Evading things that can slaughter you in seconds, when you have nothing to defend yourself – in a horror setting – is, in fact, survival horror.

That's your own definition. Going by that, pretty much every horror game is a "Survival Horror". Which is okay, everyone has his own definition of Survival Horror these days, but I only acknowledge the genre's creator definition which is:

The host was curious to know what Mikami thought about other popular horror games' movement to remove combat from gameplay as a way of scaring the player, such as in Amnesia. Mikami said, "That kind of game design is very interesting, but that's a 'pure' horror game, whereas we are making 'survival' horror and the definition of survival horror is that you can fight back."

http://www.gameskinny.com/lrbrj/the-evi ... nji-mikami

You eventually get a gun, and when you do, you take your revenge on the Shade. She dies for good, and kicking/crushing the spotlight is a very satisfying moment. Boom. Definition fulfilled. Also, you overcome the leader of Mobius in the final encounter of The Consequence.

Uhh.. really? We're talking about moment-to-moment gameplay here. You endure a game of cat and mouse throughout most of the DLCs, and just because you defeat a few enemies here and there and kill the final boss doesn't mean it's Survival Horror. It's mostly "Pure Horror" as Mikami put it.

Point is, the vast majority of the time spent in the Kidman DLCs is you evading enemies, and not fighting them.

What do you think the Tango staff, or even Mikami himself, would say if you asked him this question? They would undoubtedly call The Assignment and The Consequence survival horror. You're high if you think otherwise.

He can call it Survival Horror, but he would be contradicting the countless statements he made before TEW's release.
Rikitatsu

Postby Lazarus753 » May 16, 2015 7:35 pm

Okay, so Silent Hill isn't survival horror because you spend most of your time running away from enemies. Got it.
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Postby Lazarus753 » May 16, 2015 7:37 pm

I completely disagree with both of you, and sincerely hope that Tango doesn't create a sequel with your opinions in mind.
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Postby Rikitatsu » May 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Lazarus753 wrote:Okay, so Silent Hill isn't survival horror because you spend most of your time running away from enemies. Got it.

Don't know which Silent Hill you've played, but the majority of the enemies in the first three games can be engaged, and defeated.

I completely disagree with both of you, and sincerely hope that Tango doesn't create a sequel with your opinions in mind.

That's fine, I wouldn't want a sequel that is like the DLCs myself. A whole game comprised mostly of hiding and running away isn't what I want from a TEW sequel. If I felt like playing such a game, I'll turn to the indie scene where it's overflowing with such games.
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » May 18, 2015 7:20 pm

way off topic.

but im curious about tango next project.
''Don't change the product to meet what the market is, stick to what It's meant to be in your own vision, and people who share that vision will eventually come'' -Brian Hong.
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Gooch » May 18, 2015 7:58 pm

I think a lot of the people who bought TEW like myself didn't just buy it simply because it was a horror game, but rather because it was a distinctly old school, Mikami style horror game, where the option of whether or not to fight or run away is key. I like those hide and seek style horror games, where the player has no choice but to evade (Alien Isolation was one of my favorite games of 2014), but pretty much every post-Slender Man horror game has been just that. The Evil Within on the other hand, was deliberately more old school, it's why a lot of us were drawn to it.
I liked the DLC's well enough, but I understand why some people weren't too fond of them.
Gooch

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Goochbot
XBL: GOOCH3R
Wii U: Goochbot

Previous

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak