The Executioner DLC Hype Thread

(Discuss the game)

Re: The Executioner DLC Hype Thread

Postby Morir es vivir » May 12, 2015 7:51 pm

I know i already said this, but do you know what is THE ONLY thing i dislike about this game?....the brass knuckles.
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby ShogunXCIV » May 14, 2015 2:37 pm

Playing The Keeper in first person ? Mhmmmm Interesting.
ShogunXCIV

Favorite Title: The Evil Witin
XBL: ShogunXCIV

Postby Lazarus753 » May 14, 2015 5:27 pm

ShogunXCIV wrote:Playing The Keeper in first person ? Mhmmmm Interesting.

Yeah, I like the direction they've gone with all three of the DLCs. The first two were very different from the main game, with new ideas and enemies – plus a different style of gameplay. Now we get to play as the Keeper, in first person, which should again be a totally unique experience. Tango Gameworks may have some flaws as a development studio – The Evil Within wasn't perfect – but they have a huge amount of upside.

I'm hoping for a sequel, now, more than ever.
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Postby dan76 » May 14, 2015 8:28 pm

I want a sequel but other than that I completely disagree. It's as if they don't know the strengths of the game they created. The dlc should've given us more of what was great about the main game and not introduced new gameplay elements. Almost zero combat in the first two dlc's, and now a first person hack and slash game. Wtf?

I'm still hoping there will be some kind of range weapon to get head shots, but even then it will be in first person...
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby PM1994 » May 14, 2015 9:40 pm

"no IDtech 5 please....."

So much this.
PM1994
I Am The Danger

Postby Lazarus753 » May 15, 2015 7:32 am

dan76 wrote:I want a sequel but other than that I completely disagree. It's as if they don't know the strengths of the game they created. The dlc should've given us more of what was great about the main game and not introduced new gameplay elements. Almost zero combat in the first two dlc's, and now a first person hack and slash game. Wtf?

I'm still hoping there will be some kind of range weapon to get head shots, but even then it will be in first person...

The first two DLCs were legit survival horror, which is something you obviously don't care about. All you seem to care about is headshots. Oh well. Your loss.
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Postby dan76 » May 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Bullshit. The first two dlc's may have been survival, but there was nothing horrific about them. They were boring. There was no skill involved in the gameplay. Go play Amnesia if you like that sort of thing. Either way, I don't care what tag you want to put on a game, all that matters to me is if it's good, "legit survival horror" or not.

When TEW is at it's best it presents you with a scenario and you decide how you're going to progress weighing the pros and cons depending on ammo, health, risk, skill etc. This is why chapters 3 and 9 are generally regarded as high points of the game. Also, for both those chapters intrusive scripted sequences are kept to a minimum, something that can't be said for the overly scripted dlc's.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Rikitatsu » May 15, 2015 3:00 pm

The Assignment and The Consequence do not fit in Mikami & Tango's definition of Survival Horror.
HYPER: How do you define Survival Horror?
Mikami: To me it’s about not just running away from scary things but being able to destroy them and having that tremendous rush from overcoming them. A game that achieves that is to me the defining key element to Survival Horror.

Both DLCs fall short on that, it's easy to understand why some who liked the base game won't like the DLC.
I liked the DLC, by the way. Not as good as the full game, but it had some great atmosphere and moments.
Rikitatsu

Postby Lazarus753 » May 16, 2015 8:18 am

dan76 wrote:Bullshit. The first two dlc's may have been survival, but there was nothing horrific about them.

The Assignment and The Consequence were 100% non-horror. Yeah, right.

dan76 wrote:They were boring.

Subjective, and you say this likely because all you care about is combat.

dan76 wrote:There was no skill involved in the gameplay.

What the hell do you consider skill? I sure thought that hiding from the Shade required skill and patience, especially on KURAYAMI. Same with evading the Trauma in The Assignment, albeit to a lesser degree. Again, in the second part of the DLC, there were a couple of areas that required a semblance of skill to complete – namely the two (three?) areas with the Shade. I'm not counting the part where you actually had a gun against her.

Rikitatsu wrote:The Assignment and The Consequence do not fit in Mikami & Tango's definition of Survival Horror.
Mikami: To me it’s about not just running away from scary things but being able to destroy them and having that tremendous rush from overcoming them. A game that achieves that is to me the defining key element to Survival Horror.

Both DLCs fall short on that,

I don't think they do, and I don't really care about abstract quotes pulled from Mikami interviews.

The Assignment and The Consequence are undoubtedly survival horror.
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Postby Rikitatsu » May 16, 2015 11:37 am

Now now let's calm down.

Lazarus753 wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:The Assignment and The Consequence do not fit in Mikami & Tango's definition of Survival Horror.

Both DLCs fall short on that,

I don't think they do.

What do you mean? 90% of the DLCs is forced Stealth with no way to defend yourself. Save for for a few encounters in The Consequence. It definitely falls short on Mikami's definition.

and I don't really care about abstract quotes pulled from Mikami interviews.

It's not really abstract at all, both Mikami, Tango, and Bethesda were trumpeting this definition since the game was teased back in 2012, they did it over and over again in countless interviews.

Mikami coined the term "Survival Horror" with Resident Evil 1, so if anyone knows what Survival Horror means, it's him. The DLCs are like Outlast and Amnesia, for the most part.
Rikitatsu

PreviousNext

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak