Which country the game takes place ?

(Discuss the game)

Which country the game takes place ?

Postby Eslammb » May 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Hello all ,

The game has a lot of Latin/spanish names (Marcelo and Valerio Jiminiez , Oscar , Sebastian Castellanos , Ruben Victoriano , Fernando Cabrera ) and there was no mention to which country the game takes place

So is this game takes place in a latin country or at least in a US state with a lot of mexicans ?
Eslammb

Re: Which country the game takes place ?

Postby Lazarus753 » May 08, 2015 6:24 pm

Eslammb wrote:The game has a lot of Latin/spanish names (Marcelo and Valerio Jiminiez , Oscar , Sebastian Castellanos , Ruben Victoriano , Fernando Cabrera ) and there was no mention to which country the game takes place

So is this game takes place in a latin country or at least in a US state with a lot of mexicans ?

Holy shit. You make a very good point.
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Postby berto » May 08, 2015 7:06 pm

The answer is not that complicated, just listen to their English. US English doesn't sound like any other English in the world. British, Australian, South African or any English, for that matter, all have very distinct accents. With that the latin name implies Mexico since we are the closest Spanish speaking country. Krimson, though, doesn't look like it has any of the geographical features that the border states have. It's not costal, not really desert vegetation. They can't be in Arizona, it's illegal to be Mexican there. Texas, maybe, but I'm going with California.

The truth is that the game is set in a fictional city with no real location but no harm in asking.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Postby Eslammb » May 09, 2015 4:37 am

But the strange thing is that Mikami/Tango chose latin names for most of the game's character with no reason to tie it to the story as we get used to see english names for 90% of video games characters cast , May be Mikami thought it would be cool to change from the english names to latin ones for once

If we sorted the characters names origin :

Latin : Marcelo and Valerio Jiminiez , Oscar , Sebastian Castellanos , Ruben Victoriano , Fernando Cabrera , Laura Victoriano

English : Myra Hanson , Leslie Withers

Mixed-Japanese : Joseph Oda ( Joseph is a global name while Oda is a japanese name )

Latin-English : Juli Kidman

Russian-Latin : Tatiana Gutierrez (The wiki listed her as a hispanic descent and acknowledge that Tatiana is a russian name )

So as you all see with the exception of Myra Hanson and Leslie Withers then all the characters are either with Latin names or with Latin family names , Either Mikami thought it was cool to have a cast full of latin names or there is something hidden we don't know

Also all the latin-named characters appearance are typical latins (Black/dark brown Hair , Black/dark brown eyes Light Brown Skin and finally Juli's lovely butt :oops: )
Eslammb

Postby ShogunXCIV » May 09, 2015 9:00 am

Because Resident Evil 4 is in Spain maybe ?
This is a sort of "Hommage" by Mikami.
ShogunXCIV

Favorite Title: The Evil Witin
XBL: ShogunXCIV

Postby berto » May 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Eslammb wrote:Russian-Latin : Tatiana Gutierrez (The wiki listed her as a hispanic descent and acknowledge that Tatiana is a russian name )

Just to let you know, Tatiana is a very common name here in Mexico. So are Olga, Sasha, and others. I didn't even know it was Russian till you brought it up, I thought it was latin, like the rest of them, and and if we go by the pattern I would guess she's not of Russian decent, she just happens to get a name commonly used in Mexico of Russian decent.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Postby Morir es vivir » May 09, 2015 4:43 pm

I don't think the game takes place in any particular country, the game's world is entirely fictional i believe?, kinda like Gears of war's world, where the planet they live in is "Sera" and there is no such thing as planet "Earth" in that universe. I read in an article a while back that the reason for all the Spanish names was due to the game originally taking place in Spain and the real world, but it was eventually changed to fictional world and they just kept the Spanish names.
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby Autoignition » May 15, 2015 4:25 am

I'm 99% sure that it's meant to be America, if for no other reason than the geographical map of Krimson City is nearly identical to Boston. We have Latin/Hispanic people here in America too you know. :P

Though I had also read the thing about how Mikami originally wanted to set the game in Spain but Bethesda yanked the choke chain on it because it made the game too similar to RE4. No idea how true that actually is though.
Autoignition

PSN: Autoignition

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak