LTTP: The Evil Within/Pyschobreak - Finally! (No DLC stuff)

(Discuss the game)

LTTP: The Evil Within/Pyschobreak - Finally! (No DLC stuff)

Postby skytrot » Jul 06, 2015 5:30 am

It's been a long time coming....

So older members on here may know that I was heavily anticipating this game before it came out but never got the chance to play it until recently and man has it been a long time. And I must say that my expectations were met and in some regard even exceeded. My only regret is that I wished I had played it sooner.

Ammo Stock
I would like to start out by saying that I think the way the game limits your ammo is genius. Low clip and stock count from the start and mimimal increments when upgraded is really fascinating when I think about it now. You also often only get 3-5 ammo lying around and both these elements come together to prevent players from hoarding ammo and feeling too powerful. Really like the system a lot and it constantly keeps me on my toes as I know that I don't have a whole clip or stock to burn through. As such, I'm constantly switching weapons around and using the best available weapon for each given situation. I think amount of ammo is really well balanced across the board and I never once found myself having 0 ammo for all weapons(a problem I often see other experience but we'll get to that later).

Matches
Now onto matches. At first I wasn't so sure what the whole point of them were for other then to make sure bodies stay down. And then it all clicked when I lit a corpse when an enemy was just about to approach me and BAM! From then on I've pulled off several crazy group kills just with a single match. One effective strategy I discovered by accident was shooting the front runner of a pack of enemies in the leg so he would fall, quickly shoot a lightning bolt so that all the enemies within the vicinity are stunned and then BAM! one match and so many of them just burn. It's so satisfying. Matches are such an excellent idea and I think Mikami really outdid himself this time. It really does add a layer of depth and strategy to the Survival Horror genre.

Speaking of bolts. Man the agony crossbow is just brilliant. When I first got it, I never thought I'd be that useful but man is it INCREDIBLY useful. I never thought I'd enjoy using the various bolts so much and they add so much strategy to how how plays. I loved using the explosive bolts as mines on doors during the chapter with the invisible enemies. They are so effective.

Others - Don't want to make too long a post
Now on to some other awesome things I liked about the game. The save room is brilliant and I really like how there are several points in the game where the game just flips and makes you question whether or not the room is really safe. Really like the upgrade system and electric chair and for some reason, it reminds me a little of Shadows of the Damned. I really dig the story a lot(even though many reviews kind of bash it) and I was actually proud of myself for identifying the bloodied long haired demon to be Ruvik's sister, Laura before it was explicitly stated to me in the model viewer. But man, I really want to find out more about Kidman because she's so damn mysterious. Watching the starting cutscene again and I noticed that she was the only one not affected by the the high frequency sound. Suspicious...

Common complaints
Now on to my casual observations on watching Let's Plays of people and why they complain on various issues that I feel are not a problem with the game but rather the player. The one thing that amuses me the most is watching people waste matches on already dead corpses. While I get that people are paranoid and want to play it safe(I was the same way the first half an hour or so), I think there comes a point in the game at maybe around the 3rd chapter where you should realise that some bodies only react to being lit while others don't. That should be a good enough indicator IMO(without having some text pop up and explain it to you) that not all bodies have to be lit.

The other complaint I often see is lack of ammo which frustrates and irritates me a little. If one actually tries to conserve ammo by headshots, sneaking and stealth killing as much as possible, using match tactics and traps, lack of ammo is never ever a problem. I see people playing the game like they would an action game and waste an entire clip or stock of hand gun ammo just one 1 or 2 enemies. I also see people spamming agony bolts of all sorts without thinking about effective ways and strategies to use them effective and efficiently. (For eg. I always save harpoon bolts on larger enemies or bosses rather then on small and standard ones.) I've even seen people spam flash and lighting bolts one after another thinking they will do damage or something. I feel that people are blaming the game due to their lack of critical thinking and careful play. They just want to go all guns blazing like it was a shooter.

Conclusion
Overall, I really really enjoyed the hell out of this game and I personally don't see the hate it gets. I personally echo the sentiments of another thread that most if not all casual players would find this game frustrating because modern games have thought people to not think. While the game is not perfect and there are some minor gripes I had with it, it's still freaking excellent. I really want to play the DLC now but I really want a physical complete collection like what Bethesda did with Dishonored. I was hoping they would announce it at E3 but man... Regardless, the base game itself was an incredible ride and I look forward to Tango's next title.
skytrot

Re: LTTP: The Evil Within/Pyschobreak - Finally! (No DLC stu

Postby Morir es vivir » Jul 06, 2015 1:38 pm

I feel that people are blaming the game due to their lack of critical thinking and careful play

Very true.
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby Nemesis85 » Jul 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Isn't that what true Horror- survival is all about,critical thinking and careful play? if this is not your cup of tea, does not mean that the game is not good. I wish critics were less biased and more educated.
Nemesis85

Postby skytrot » Jul 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Nemesis85 wrote:Isn't that what true Horror- survival is all about,critical thinking and careful play? if this is not your cup of tea, does not mean that the game is not good. I wish critics were less biased and more educated.

Can't agree more. It's why I decided a few years ago to not trust any critics on their reviews of games.
skytrot

Postby Valtia » Jul 09, 2015 1:06 pm

I do think a lot of people's problems with The Evil Within is a combination of the game not holding your hand and coddling you like so many do nowadays and the fact that they blindly follow critics instead of giving it a try themselves. For me, some expectations were met, others were crushed, and while I've figured more out watching my sister replay, there's still a lot I'm hopelessly confused about. But that doesn't by any means make it a bad game.

I know you're looking for a full release, and I hope what I do say won't make you crack and by DLC, but there's a good bit answered about Kid, less than I expected but some answers were still given, in both of her DLCs. Now if only they'd just give us something about Joseph!
Valtia

Postby Morir es vivir » Jul 09, 2015 6:58 pm

The best horror stories are the ones that have a strong mystery background behind them, that's what makes them the more eerie. It is GOOD that this game doesn't tell you everything you want to know, in fact, they tell you a lot in this first entry. Look at Romero's dead trilogy or Alien 1979 for example: In Romero's apocalypse no scientist in the planet could prove what the hell was going on that made the dead come back to life, that's what made it more interesting and creepy than "oh it was just a virus", the whole mess was beyond everyone's understanding. In the Alien franchise, the whole space jockey enigma was one hell of a mystery for decades and one of it's strongest points plot wise, if not the most. Even after Prometheus its still a dilema, but you can feel how it lost a huge chunk of it's fire when the movie revealed (some) of the franchise's biggest questions. While i don't dislike the game's plot, i would have preferred that everything was supernatural based. Of course It has questions to be answered that's how it supposed to be.

Edit: And even tho it has a scientific explanation to what's happening, it still has a supernatural feel to it because of Ruvik. The story is dark, sad and depressing. Not a game for everyone, it is more special that way.
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby robflee23 » Jul 10, 2015 4:42 pm

I just believe that the popular horror games today are games like Five Nights at Freddy's and Outlast which if I'm completely honest put me to sleep. It's more about jump scares and running away than it is about having 3 pistol bullets and 2 shotgun shells and thinking about how to go about a situation. The Evil Within was made to cater to fans of old school survival horror, and I think it succeeds pretty well at being right in between the original RE and RE4 in terms of action. Nothing amazing, but solid.
robflee23

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Nemesis85 » Jul 11, 2015 7:49 pm

I wish one day, there will be a game made with the strong story of The Last Of Us and the horror factors of The Evil Within.
Nemesis85

Postby Rikitatsu » Jul 21, 2015 2:00 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it. TEW was a good game, I feel I would've liked it a lot better had I tempered my expectations. I think one of my biggest issues with TEW is the fact that it's so inconsistent... And it's best it topples RE4, at it's worst it's a boring POS. I made this chart to illustrate what I mean:

In that sense, it's a weird game. As I play through each chapter, I go from hating it, to loving it, and then hating it again. It feels as if each chapter was designed by a different individual... Maybe Mikami was trying to prep the younger generation of game designers at Tango by giving them too much freedom when making those chapters? Who knows... It definitely feels like a case of "Too Many Chefs...".
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Aug 15, 2015 8:20 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed it. TEW was a good game, I feel I would've liked it a lot better had I tempered my expectations. I think one of my biggest issues with TEW is the fact that it's so inconsistent... And it's best it topples RE4, at it's worst it's a boring POS. I made this chart to illustrate what I mean:

In that sense, it's a weird game. As I play through each chapter, I go from hating it, to loving it, and then hating it again. It feels as if each chapter was designed by a different individual... Maybe Mikami was trying to prep the younger generation of game designers at Tango by giving them too much freedom when making those chapters? Who knows... It definitely feels like a case of "Too Many Chefs...".

or bethesda mentality is what screwed this game.

the game is trying to appeal both casual such as Last of us or any movie interactive fan base and hardcore audience......

the game does not have a clear vision what it wants to be.
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak