The Evil Within Lore Guide Project

(Discuss the game)

Re: The Evil Within Lore Guide Project

Postby Autoignition » Feb 20, 2016 11:56 pm

Well, if that's the case, then we know that he was already drinking by that point, because he admits as much in his journal entry in chapter 10. This is where the water gets a little murky, because he insists that he only does it on his own time, but people around the KCPD noticed it enough to think that his drinking was the reason why Myra left him. This is the shitty part about this whole thing -- we have zero outside perspective from the time Lily died to the time Myra disappeared. We just kind of have to take Sebastian's word for it, because there's nothing to refute it otherwise. And that sucks, because we all know how Sebastian likes to bend the truth.

But I would agree with you in that I don't think it got truly out of hand until after Myra disappeared -- simply because I think that Joseph would've tried to step in way sooner if that was the case. It definitely got worse over time (at least, I think so). Though, with regards to your original point as to that being the reason why IA didn't have any hard proof -- that contradicts timelines, because Joseph reported him only after it got really out of hand. Most likely, the reason why they didn't have any evidence is because alcohol leaves your system within a matter of hours, and if Sebastian knew he was being investigated, he was probably careful not to drink during that time period.

Here's the biggest kick in the ass about this whole thing though. Someone freaked out on Johanas on Twitter like right after The Consequence came out about how it contradicts Sebastian's journals that Kidman didn't know that he had a wife, since Kidman was sent to the KCPD and worked there before Myra disappeared. And Johanas said something that was along the lines of: "Check the dates between those two entries. Nothing in Sebastian's journals should have been invalidated by the DLCs."

I absolutely hate it when people claim death of the author in order to fill in blanks in a canon to suit their pre-supposed theories, so I've been wracking my brain in order to figure out how it is that the DLCs and Seb's journals can have such huge contradictions while Johanas says nothing that Seb wrote was invalidated. The Kidman thing makes sense, considering that the entry about her assignment to them was just dated vaguely in August, and the entry about Myra is specifically September 1 and Sebastian says she's been gone for a few days already. But it's the maternity leave thing that I always go back to. I've stared at that entry from him a thousand times, wondering if there's just something clever in his wording and I'm misinterpreting it, but...

We dropped off Lily for her first day at preschool this morning. She’s a brave girl, she seems like she’ll be fine. Myra, God bless her, has had a tough three years. Raising a baby is a full time job and she’s finally going to get the break she deserves... By break, I mean coming back to the KCPD Missing Persons Bureau. The amount of disappearances here seems to be growing. If we don’t get to the bottom of it soon, there won’t be anyone left to investigate - they’ll all be missing.

I exaggerate, of course, but there’s something going on in Krimson City that needs to be stopped...And Myra will help see to that. She’s damn good at her job and obviously happy to be back in her element...

The entry really kind of speaks for itself. So, that's largely the reason why I'm comfortable using Sebastian's journals as a timeline (Johanas basically confirmed that the timeline of events is solid), but when it comes to this shit agh. The only thing I can think of is the whole "it's just him lying to himself/his memories are fucked up" theory. Like, his claim is simply ridiculous. Three year maternity leave is not a thing that exists. Just trying to say so is a huge red flag to this guy's credibility.

The only other thing I can think of is that something happened to Myra in between the time that Lily was born and this journal entry, and Sebastian doesn't want to admit it. Like, she was seriously ill or she was hurt or SOMETHING other than parenting kept her away from her work. A severe case of post-partum depression maybe? idk I'm just making shit up now. I have no evidence to back that claim.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby liontamer » Feb 21, 2016 11:43 am

Okay... you're right, and it's ridiculous. Sebastian's memories need to be fucked in order to support the direction the story has taken, as there's no other way around it... Wow.
liontamer

PSN: breakdownthewall

Postby perpetualodium » Mar 02, 2016 4:11 pm

I don't understand how Mobius came to take an interest in Cedar Hill Church. Their dealings were covert. Local. You said that research underneath the church progressed for over a century after Mobius got involved, but I want to know how they even discovered the place. I'm wondering if Cedar Hill Church and Mobius are of the same faith. The leader of Mobius appears to have supernatural powers. Could they have been granted by the same God that the parishioners of Elk River worship?

Also, there's a hole where you talk about the wireless STEM machine. First it's just a plan in Ruben's notes, then Jimenez is spilling his guts to Mobius, and then right after that Jimenez is activating the wireless STEM. When did they build it? How long did it take? Did they simply modify the original, wired STEM? Why did Seb wake up wired to STEM? Wasn't he pulled in wirelessly? What does it even mean to be pulled in by the wireless STEM?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I'm the Michael Jordan of bad decisions.
perpetualodium

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: perpetualodium
Steam: perpetualodium

Postby Autoignition » Mar 02, 2016 7:38 pm

You're asking questions that the game doesn't provide answers to, unfortunately. :( As much as I would love to know how Mobius got their start in Cedar Hill, too, the game straight up doesn't even touch on it. They don't even come close to touching on it. The name "Cedar Hill" in and of itself only appears in two newspaper articles; otherwise there's no mention of the name of the church at all. It bears mentioning that Cedar Hill was never explicitly stated to be in Elk River, either, but it's the only logical conclusion that we can draw, considering what Kidman tells us about her past and her hometown and the church. Details around the Elk River/Cedar Hill cult are very, very spotty.

But I suppose we can try to tease this out a little bit. Bear with me, this post is about to get LONG.

My only guess is that Elk River/Cedar Hill is where Mobius more or less got started/planted its roots. It started as a cult and morphed into something much bigger. Based on all of the information we're given (which isn't much), that's the best conclusion I can come to. And this conclusion comes from Jimenez saying that research at Mobius dates back to well over a century + Joseph's observation that the church and the graveyard seem straight from the 16th century. As we know from general world history, there were very, very few European settlers in North America in the 16th century (and from the way the devs talk, we know that TEW takes place either in the US or Canada); most settlements began closer to the 17th century. So, based on Joseph's observation, we can probably safely assume that Mobius started as a European organization and came over to North America sometime later.

So, let's move forward from there. The only other link we have to Mobius being a global corporation, other than the mention of the 16th century, is a newspaper clipping that you find closer to the end of the game about a building burning down that was rumored to be a front for foreign intelligence. For reference, here's the transcript in its entirety:

FIRE AT OFFICE

OFFICE LINKED TO FOREIGN INTELLIGENCE BURNED
Arrests Made

Building housing community outreach center burns to the ground. There were allegations that the center was a front for foreign intelligence.

What's perplexing about this newspaper clipping is that I can't directly link it to anything else. There's no indication of where this office was (whether it was Elk River or Krimson City) or when this happened. This incident is never mentioned or even so much as alluded to outside of this one newspaper clipping, but considering the fact that Mobius is always, always linked to buildings burning down, we can assume that this place has something to do with them. It's just more evidence that Mobius has ties or interest in Europe and possibly even started there.

So, what else do we know?

We also know, thanks to Jimenez, that Mobius has other branches of study outside of STEM. I remember him specifically citing natural/botanical studies and things like that. But they all seem to be linked back to the purpose of mind control, which is how memories 400+ years old could end up in the modern invention of STEM. With regards to how the metaphysics of that all works, don't ask me; I don't understand the metaphysics of STEM at all. I'm not a science person, but even if I was, Mikami's special brand of pseudoscience is kind of a mystery in and of itself anyway. (Remember when the Progenitor virus in RE was actually manufactured from Ebola? And then became ??????????????????????????????????? IDK FLAME SPITTING BLOOD VERONICA VIRUS)

But back to Cedar Hill. Cedar Hill may have been some sort of offshoot of Christianity, since its religious leaders are given the title of Pastor... but Christian churches name themselves as such explicitly. The question then becomes: was Cedar Hill originally a Christian church before it became Cedar Hill? Or was it something poorly masquerading itself as Christianity but never ever actually was? Was it just Mobius the whole time? Did they come to North America seeking "religious freedom" even though they were an evil fuckin cult? I actually think that might be the case.

The whole thing seems very Silent Hill to me. European settlers come to North America and base a community around some fucked up church cult. It all goes well for hundreds of years, until it suddenly doesn't anymore. But by the time the church floor collapses, Mobius at least has enough money, a strong enough base, and a far enough reach to not completely collapse and royally screw themselves the way The Order in Silent Hill does. So they move onto Beacon and other places as well. But since I can't objectively prove that one way or the other, I didn't put it in the essay.

Now, let's be clear: The leader of Mobius has no supernatural powers, and this has nothing to do with a God. There is nothing supernatural in The Evil Within; it's science fiction, not fantasy magic. For most of the Kidman DLCs, she's not even interacting with the real Administrator. Ruvik tips his hand very late in The Consequence to show us that it's actually him. "The Administrator" says that the injection that Mobius gave her wasn't to protect her from Ruvik's influence; it was so that she could bring him (The Administrator) into STEM with her. But that's not true. Ruvik tells us in the second Torn Letter that The Administrator actually entered STEM himself seeking some sort of power "long ago" and that Ruvik left his mark on him and now has a vessel in him. Now, I've seen theories that Ruvik is some kind of a psychic in the same vein as Alessa Gillespie, but there's absolutely no basis for it in canon. Everything in the Kidman DLCs except for the very final scene of The Consequence takes place in STEM. It's not supernatural. It's just STEM.

There's no hole in the essay with regards to the construction of STEM. I say at the very top of page 4 that STEM as a project began in the Victoriano mansion basement while Ruvik's parents were both still alive. Going by the ages in the model viewer, Ruvik was 18 when he killed his parents. Ruvik himself wasn't killed until he was 37. That's at least a 19 year development cycle for STEM, and Jimenez's research with Ruvik's data continued for what I would assume to be at least a few years after his death. Mobius didn't modify anything for STEM with regards to the wireless system. Ruvik developed that on his own, then Jimenez stole the blueprints after he was killed and built it while keeping it a secret from Mobius himself. But, of course, they eventually found out, and that's why Jimenez set it off.

Sebastian was pulled in wirelessly, yes. Jimenez explains early in The Consequence that a person gets pulled into STEM wirelessly via use of a specific sound frequency, and Kidman assumes that that's what the loud screeching feedback noise from the opening cutscene of the main game was. From one of my conversations with Rikitatsu, I came to the conclusion that Mobius had to turn off the wireless STEM sound frequency in order to enter Beacon themselves, lest they all get sucked into the system. But they still saw this as on opportunity not only for STEM research, but for Sebastian to oust Ruvik from the system and maybe even take over as host -- and so they hooked everyone who was still alive into the wired one. There's a whole bunch of monitoring systems attached to each of the STEM terminals, giving them access to psychological and biological data during the game's progression, essentially.
Autoignition

Postby perpetualodium » Mar 02, 2016 10:01 pm

Autoignition wrote:My only guess is that Elk River/Cedar Hill is where Mobius more or less got started/planted its roots. It started as a cult and morphed into something much bigger. Based on all of the information we're given (which isn't much), that's the best conclusion I can come to.

I don't buy that, but I wish we knew more. It's entirely possible.

And this conclusion comes from Jimenez saying that research at Mobius dates back to well over a century + Joseph's observation that the church and the graveyard seem straight from the 16th century. As we know from general world history, there were very, very few European settlers in North America in the 16th century (and from the way the devs talk, we know that TEW takes place either in the US or Canada); most settlements began closer to the 17th century. So, based on Joseph's observation, we can probably safely assume that Mobius started as a European organization and came over to North America sometime later.

If all he says is that the church and graveyard seem to be straight from the 16th century, then that could just as easily mean 17th century. Joseph isn't exactly a historian. While it's possible that Mobius started in Europe, we have no real evidence.

So, let's move forward from there. The only other link we have to Mobius being a global corporation, other than the mention of the 16th century, is a newspaper clipping that you find closer to the end of the game about a building burning down that was rumored to be a front for foreign intelligence. For reference, here's the transcript in its entirety:

FIRE AT OFFICE

OFFICE LINKED TO FOREIGN INTELLIGENCE BURNED
Arrests Made

Building housing community outreach center burns to the ground. There were allegations that the center was a front for foreign intelligence.

What's perplexing about this newspaper clipping is that I can't directly link it to anything else. There's no indication of where this office was (whether it was Elk River or Krimson City) or when this happened. This incident is never mentioned or even so much as alluded to outside of this one newspaper clipping, but considering the fact that Mobius is always, always linked to buildings burning down, we can assume that this place has something to do with them. It's just more evidence that Mobius has ties or interest in Europe and possibly even started there.

I don't buy the Europe connection, but I do think the note is about Mobius. Sorry for shooting you down. I know you're teasing this stuff out for the benefit of additional discussion.

But back to Cedar Hill. Cedar Hill may have been some sort of offshoot of Christianity, since its religious leaders are given the title of Pastor... but Christian churches name themselves as such explicitly. The question then becomes: was Cedar Hill originally a Christian church before it became Cedar Hill? Or was it something poorly masquerading itself as Christianity but never ever actually was? Was it just Mobius the whole time? Did they come to North America seeking "religious freedom" even though they were an evil fuckin cult? I actually think that might be the case.

An ancient religion, maybe? Something that dates back a long time, but that not many people follow? Something local to Elk River and completely unique?

Now, let's be clear: The leader of Mobius has no supernatural powers, and this has nothing to do with a God. There is nothing supernatural in The Evil Within; it's science fiction, not fantasy magic.

I think it's too early to state this outright, and I'm not just saying this because you shot down my idea.

Ruvik made it out of STEM using Leslie's body. How do we know he doesn't have supernatural or psychic powers? Can't you imagine him fucking things up in the real world? Isn't that what the ending implies? I don't think you should be denying that the supernatural exists within the world of TEW with 100% certainty. We just don't know.

I think the problem we're running into is that the game doesn't provide enough information to make total sense of the plot. We can't create a complete timeline, so we're left to fill in the blanks with evidence that's sketchy at best. Personally, I love it, but I think this is why people say the story is shitty. I love the way the plot is delivered, but I don't think we can argue that it isn't fragmented and difficult to understand. The narrative is far from immediately clear.
I'm the Michael Jordan of bad decisions.
perpetualodium

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: perpetualodium
Steam: perpetualodium

Postby Autoignition » Mar 02, 2016 10:53 pm

You keep saying "I don't buy that," but you never say why. I'm open to alternate interpretations, but I need something to go on first.

perpetualodium wrote:If all he says is that the church and graveyard seem to be straight from the 16th century, then that could just as easily mean 17th century. Joseph isn't exactly a historian. While it's possible that Mobius started in Europe, we have no real evidence.

Except, he's completely right. It only takes a simple Google search to verify it. Joseph's not a historian, no, but the man knows his shit.

An ancient religion, maybe? Something that dates back a long time, but that not many people follow? Something local to Elk River and completely unique?

It's entirely possible, but again, there's no evidence in the canon. I wish there was. :( This conversation seems kind of empty without anything to go on from the game itself.

I think it's too early to state this outright, and I'm not just saying this because you shot down my idea.

It's not too early. The game is out and it's complete. If the sequel goes that way, then that's one thing, but within the completed universe of The Evil Within as it stands right now, there's nothing supernatural in it. And if the game doesn't get a sequel, then this is the completed canon forever.

Ruvik made it out of STEM using Leslie's body. How do we know he doesn't have supernatural or psychic powers? Can't you imagine him fucking things up in the real world? Isn't that what the ending implies? I don't think you should be denying that the supernatural exists within the world of TEW with 100% certainty. We just don't know.

We do know, because there's no evidence nor mention of it anywhere in any capacity relating to anything at any point. How do we know that unicorns don't exist in this universe, either? I'm not trying to be patronizing or condescending, but you can't disprove the claim of unicorns in the same way that I can't disprove the claim of psychic powers. It's impossible to prove the absence of something, so the burden of proof comes on proving the presence of something instead. If you can find evidence within the canon of psychic/supernatural powers, I'll concede your point and change my view (and I'll be more than happy to do that, too), but as far as everything I've researched and studied in the game material, such a thing simply does not exist as part of the game's universe. Ruvik is not a psychic until proven otherwise. His inhabiting Leslie's body is explained in the game as being a link between brainwaves.

The ending doesn't imply that Ruvik is manipulating things in the real world. The ending implies that Sebastian is not 100% out of STEM yet. The Boiler Room Note that you pick up in chapter 1 talks about how subjects during the STEM experiments remained linked to Ruvik's brainwaves even after being unhooked from the system, and that's how Ruvik is able to kill them even though they're technically supposed to be out. I've explained this before as being very similar to the Bleeding Effect in Assassin's Creed. Even when Desmond was unhooked from the animus, he could see projections of his ancestors' memories. Even when Sebastian is unplugged from STEM, he can still see projections of it around him.

We see this happen three other times throughout the course of the game, during chapter intros in which he briefly has a glimmer of consciousness -- even in those glimmers, he still sees projections from STEM. The biggest two examples are the beginnings of chapter 2 and chapter 15. Sebastian is semi-conscious at the start of chapter 2 as a doctor and a nurse wheel him down to the basement in Beacon, but he sees a projected image of an AlterEgo that pulls him back into STEM. At the start of chapter 15, he begins to wake up in his STEM terminal, but he sees a projected image of himself that pulls him back into STEM (and it's one of the most fascinating scenes in the game. John Johanas said that the image of the doppelganger was actually conjured by Sebastian's own intuition, and I surmise that it's because he knew, on some level, he couldn't wake up yet -- not while Ruvik was still after Leslie).

I think the problem we're running into is that the game doesn't provide enough information to make total sense of the plot. We can't create a complete timeline, so we're left to fill in the blanks with evidence that's sketchy at best. Personally, I love it, but I think this is why people say the story is shitty. I love the way the plot is delivered, but I don't think we can argue that it isn't fragmented and difficult to understand. The narrative is far from immediately clear. Understanding it takes close attention and multiple playthroughs.

The game's plot makes complete sense, and as stated earlier in this thread, we can use Sebastian's journals and the ages in the model viewer to build a rough timeline. A lot of the things that are left blank are relatively minor details that ultimately don't really matter. How did Mobius get to Elk River? Does it really matter? What effect does that have on the plot? Would that information change our understanding of anything else at all? I sincerely doubt it.

As far as I can see, there are only two huge, huge question marks looming over TEW's story. 1) The lighthouse. 2) Myra. I at least have enough information to string a theory together about Myra, but the lighthouse is something that perplexes and enrages me on a level that is staggering at this point in time after the game's release.

But in terms of understanding the plot as a whole? I have no real problems with that. It takes a little bit of thinking and detective work, but it's not lacking so much that it's impossible to do without having to fill gaps with headcanon and personal interpretation.
Autoignition

Postby Autoignition » Aug 10, 2016 12:58 am

Wow, I'm really slacking on these. :mrgreen: Sorry. I do -- I really really DO -- want to get back into this before the sequel is announced (and I think that the reason why I slacked off so hard is because I didn't honestly believe in my heart of hearts that TEW2 was going to be announced at E3), and I think that the easiest way to do this is to split it up into smaller concepts instead of long, drawn-out essays like the first one. Think of it as kind of like creating an FAQ about TEW's story. This is a rough sketch of a list of concepts I have that I want to work on:

+ Defending Sebastian's characterization (AKA "Why the call for a sequel with a totally new cast is bullshit and Tango just needs to make the deeper and more compelling aspects of Sebastian's character more easily observable to the player" with points made in #6 of my meta observations post)
+ Joseph and Sebastian's friendship
+ The disparity between Sebastian's journals vs other character perspectives (as discussed in this thread)
+ The missing persons flyers (though I may lump this in with Seb's characterization)
+ The upgrade chair and how it may not be just a gameplay mechanic (AKA "Sebastian doesn't know that he's learning how to consciously influence STEM")
+ Tatiana's characterization and her role in the narrative
+ Biography on Kidman
+ Why Mobius is the biggest group of idiots outside of RE's Umbrella
+ Why The Administrator that we see in the Kidman DLCs is actually Ruvik
+ Memories in STEM (though that may be consolidated in Seb's characterization and Tatiana's role)
+ TEW's "Bleeding Effect"
+ The relationship of protagonist and antagonist between Sebastian and Ruvik (AKA "Why only Sebastian could've been the main character" AKA "Is Sebastian Ruvik's true vessel?")
+ Explanation of the game's opening cutscene and its ending cutscene
+ Exploration of Jimenez's character (AKA "The road to hell is paved with good intentions")
+ Myra: What we know for fact and theories that we can reasonably believe

What do you guys think? Is there anything else that you think I should delve into?
Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Autoignition wrote:Wow, I'm really slacking on these. :mrgreen: Sorry. I do -- I really really DO -- want to get back into this before the sequel is announced (and I think that the reason why I slacked off so hard is because I didn't honestly believe in my heart of hearts that TEW2 was going to be announced at E3), and I think that the easiest way to do this is to split it up into smaller concepts instead of long, drawn-out essays like the first one. Think of it as kind of like creating an FAQ about TEW's story. This is a rough sketch of a list of concepts I have that I want to work on:

+ Defending Sebastian's characterization (AKA "Why the call for a sequel with a totally new cast is bullshit and Tango just needs to make the deeper and more compelling aspects of Sebastian's character more easily observable to the player" with points made in #6 of my meta observations post)
+ Joseph and Sebastian's friendship
+ The disparity between Sebastian's journals vs other character perspectives (as discussed in this thread)
+ The missing persons flyers (though I may lump this in with Seb's characterization)
+ The upgrade chair and how it may not be just a gameplay mechanic (AKA "Sebastian doesn't know that he's learning how to consciously influence STEM")
+ Tatiana's characterization and her role in the narrative
+ Biography on Kidman
+ Why Mobius is the biggest group of idiots outside of RE's Umbrella
+ Why The Administrator that we see in the Kidman DLCs is actually Ruvik
+ Memories in STEM (though that may be consolidated in Seb's characterization and Tatiana's role)
+ TEW's "Bleeding Effect"
+ The relationship of protagonist and antagonist between Sebastian and Ruvik (AKA "Why only Sebastian could've been the main character" AKA "Is Sebastian Ruvik's true vessel?")
+ Explanation of the game's opening cutscene and its ending cutscene
+ Exploration of Jimenez's character (AKA "The road to hell is paved with good intentions")
+ Myra: What we know for fact and theories that we can reasonably believe

What do you guys think? Is there anything else that you think I should delve into?

I actually liked the essay format, it made things easier to understand as they were laid out chronologically, with sources and all that.

As for what I'd like, well, pretty much more of the same!
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Aug 10, 2016 9:40 pm

They'll still be in essay format with footnotes, but there's too much material for me to go through the game scene by scene and do a walkthrough of what's happening when (which was my original idea). Things overlap and happen out of order throughout the course of the game, and I feel like I'd be stopping every few minutes to have to give backstory and context about something that's actively happening in the scene.

A few more ideas for concepts to go into:

+ Boss breakdowns
+ STEM 101
+ Debunking the "Sebastian's hero fantasy" myth surrounding chapter 15
Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 14, 2016 6:31 pm

Boss Breakdowns is definitely something I'd want to read, especially The Keeper. What is the Keeper exactly? Is he just an emotion given form inside of STEM by Ruvik? Or is he an actual STEM participant like Sadist? Does the father in the executioner DLC posses this creature who's already there inside of STEM? If so, then why in the last scene of the DLC he appears to be wearing The Keeper's butcher apron and gloves while plugged in STEM?

Could he actually be a STEM participant but Ruvik's emotions gave him his look (Safe headed, mallet wielding badass)?

I need a refresher on these things.
Rikitatsu

PreviousNext

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak