73%
Over the Shoulder
27%
First Person
No votes

Total votes : 41

Re: Camera Angle

Postby Yama » Nov 04, 2012 9:33 pm

komaru wrote:I haven't play CVX but I remember seeing there's FPV too in a YT video. So, ideally it would be great if there's option to have all 3 camera angle for player to choose from.

In the final version for all CODE: Veronica SKU's that was merely an option in Battle Mode, not the actual game. It was intended to be however.

I'm not so sure how I feel about having too many camera options, it seemingly ruins forced viewing for some in-game events. The Director's Cut of Fatal Frame II had a first person option. It was forcibly scary indeed, though a lot of the atmosphere was lost to me.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Ryudo » Nov 04, 2012 11:44 pm

edit wrong topic
Ryudo

Postby Spera01 » Nov 05, 2012 6:25 am

I'd love a return to static, so I voted for that. To many games nowadays are either over the shoulder or an FPS. I miss the old camera angles.
Spera01

Postby DeaDog » Nov 05, 2012 10:39 am

I don't mind over the shoulder nor First Person, but as komaru said about static cameras,

komaru wrote:It feels more like scene that was intended to be shown by the director.

The abrupt camera changes add so much "wow factors" after going around each corner, because it takes a while for your brain to process the new enviroment, and the eerieness that can be inserted with this technique is unmatched. Just look at the concepts and imagine that the image is brand-new camera angle being seen for the first time and your get the idea.

Also, the static camera makes the enviroments more memorable in the long time run. I can remember a lot of enviroment of RE2 exactly like they were, like the Bus, the Kendo Gunshop and Raccoon PD entrance, not so much for lot of the places of RE4 for example, or at least not with the same impact.

But again, Amnesia and RE4/Dead Space 1(haven't played the 2 yet) did different approaches and got their own praise, so as long as the project ideas about horror is good, there's nothing to fear, or better yet, I hope there's a lot to fear!
DeaDog

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » Nov 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Ill have to go with camera angles. It always manages to keep me in a state of caution because it feels as you are looking through the view of a stalker who is always waiting for you to make a mistake before he/she/it attacks. I found them to be perfect introductions for the Lickers in Resident Evil II and the ghosts in Silent Hill IV to name a few memorable theatres.
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Postby komaru » Nov 05, 2012 2:08 pm

one of the concept art on the staircase looks so much like the spencer mansion and rpd station staircase :P

It would be nice to have some kind of trigger element to see a cutscene only if you're on a certain camera angle, if there was a multi camera angle option. This could maybe induce players to replay the same part with different angles to unlock cutscenes etc, or maybe a trophy/achievement for watching all cutscenes.
komaru

Postby Rikitatsu » Nov 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Honestly, there is little we know regarding the gameplay, so I can't say, but out of those you mentioned, over the shoulder sounds best... i'll honestly feel a bit disappointed if it was First person.
Rikitatsu

Postby SteeLisPain7 » Nov 05, 2012 4:29 pm

I'd prefer statics cameras since OTS don't really help in building the atmosphere or creating as much tension, though I wouldn't mind if it was like RE 3.5, where it kept changing from static to OTS

I also wouldn't mind having dynamic-static camera's that move along with you till you exit the frame like RE0 and Remake
SteeLisPain7

Postby yurieu » Nov 05, 2012 8:14 pm

they should not measure efforts, and please all the gamers.

a RE3.5 cinematographic-high resolution-wide frame- camera for walking-run; a mix of over the shoulder aim and tank-controlled aiming , and a option for first person camera to explore the scenario with possibly to walk and run too, with no need to render 1st person arms and legs.
yurieu

Postby joethulhu » Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm

I have to go with static. I just don't find the over-the-shoulder view scary. RE4 pulled it off with some okay jump scares and some creepy environments, but I can't really think of any game that was legitimately scary with OTS camera. Personally, I hated Dead Space as well. I can't imagine a survival horror game in first person either. I know games can be scary in first person, we've seen a lot of them recently, but they're not survival games, just horror. Survival horror does not work in first person.

Static camera, limiting your view to only what the developers want you to see - that's survival horror.
joethulhu

PreviousNext

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak