Difficulty and Enemy Encounters

(Discuss the game)

Difficulty and Enemy Encounters

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Reading up the info released on Famitsu regarding the game, I couldn't help but feel the game is shaping up to be unforgiving and brutal, some quotes:

While struggling to survive, you’ll have to face indescribable terror, cruel traps, and sly mechanisms. Players can die in a trap all too easily, however, at times they can turn them against enemies.

In an alternate translation posted by Dusk Golem on NeoGAF:

-Game is trying to strike a balance between horror and action, but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you’ll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions. You also can utilize traps enemies set-up for you on them instead.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

its sounding like Dark Souls: Gun Edition. Of course I mean that in a good way!
Although this might be all PR bull, I'm glad they aren't planning on gimping the difficulty for the mass market.

In this thread, I'd like to discuss the enemy encounters, it seems they won't be pushovers, the Ganandos in RE4 were persistent, knocking down doors and erecting ladders, I hope the creatures of TEW are more tenacious and smarter, they talk about them setting up traps, so that means they will probably be at least as intelligent as the Ganandos, though they don't seem like it.

One of the screenshots shows Sebastian sneaking around, so not all enemy encounters will contain action... I suppose its too early to talk about this, but come Monday IGN is promising to give their impressions of the live demo they've been treated with, but I have high expectations in regards to enemy behavior, considering this is a Mikami game.
Rikitatsu

Re: Difficulty and Enemy Encounters

Postby Cyberote » Apr 19, 2013 6:15 pm

I do believe we'll be seeing an increase in difficulty in TEW. I welcome it! Most of the games today are way too easy. The thing that would make this better is save stations instead of the all-saving checkpoint system.

As far as the enemies go, I believe we'll see even smarter enemies.

http://i.imgur.com/WkeEM3n.jpg
The enemies in this screenshot definitely give me a Ganado vibe, only creepier.
Cyberote

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Cyberote wrote:I do believe we'll be seeing an increase in difficulty in TEW. I welcome it! Most of the games today are way too easy. The thing that would make this better is save stations instead of the all-saving checkpoint system.

As far as the enemies go, I believe we'll see even smarter enemies.

http://i.imgur.com/WkeEM3n.jpg
The enemies in this screenshot definitely give me a Ganado vibe, only creepier.

I think we will get checkpoints, which I don't mind too much if the game itself is challenging. Even If I would've preferred otherwise (No-checkpoint system will augment the horror element) I think the folks at Tango and Bethesda will deem it to frustrating for the average modern player.
Rikitatsu

Postby Yama » Apr 19, 2013 11:25 pm

This is perhaps the best information I've seen. The Biohazard series turned low tier enemies into punching bags in which the player would literally style on them, taking the idea of caution and disposing of it. Even at high level play, the player should still be forced to at least respect the enemies presence. Rebirth, Zero and Outbreak on VH are very good examples of this. I can see enemies being similar in Zwei and perhaps in even greater quantities.

Food for thought. I think forcing tank controls and the like would simply create a foe difficulty which is almost unrealistic. Don't get me wrong, I adore them and always will. However with that said, I feel the best possible game design comes from giving the player 110% control. Great game design should allow for a game to be rewarding in regards to difficulty despite the players ability to maneuver freely.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Spera01 » Apr 20, 2013 5:13 am

From what I've seen so far, the enemies look very similar to the "ganados" from RE4. Some photos they seem to be carrying weapons, or torches, as seen here or in the concept art that Cyberote posted. So they definitely seem to have some intelligence but then other screenshots show them to be slowly lumbering towards the player, as seen here. Unless they're just like ganados where they'll walk up and attempt to grab you when they're weaponless. I'm wondering if we'll see some variety with these kind of enemies. Maybe some are smarter than others? I'm gonna dub these the basic enemies that we'll come across, such as the zombies in RE.

Then we seem to get the mini boss or boss monsters, such as "safe head" or the four armed bloody woman who seem to be more challenging. I'm wiling to bet that "safe head" you do not want to get near, similar to Dr. Salvador from RE4. As for the woman, she seems to have the ability to crawl on walls and other surfaces as you see her crawling on the outside of a window in the live action teaser (which by the way, did anybody else get reminded of a certain scene from RE2 with that?), so she definitely seems like she'll be a very different enemy when compared to others shown so far.

As for the difficulty, I'm all for a challenging game, I just hope its not too brutal. The traps sound interesting, especially that you can use them against your enemies. Reminds me of Bioshock, where certain rooms would be booby trapped and I'd lure the enemies into them. Hopefully the traps won't be to hard to see coming. I wonder if the game will have checkpoints if it'll be more like the old RE games where you have certain segments where you must save. The game already screams RE enough, it wouldn't surprise me although a checkpoint seems to be almost required in most games today.
Spera01

Postby Zero » Apr 20, 2013 6:52 am

I don't mind if it's brutal as along as it doesn't reach an un-necessary level.
Mikami seems to be loving his work on this game, I hope he takes his time perfecting it, REmake is as perfect as a game can get, Hope this will be in the same league as REmake.
Zero

Favorite Title: Resident Evil GC
PSN: FiXalaS
Wii U: Zero97

Postby Cyberote » Apr 20, 2013 11:59 am

I hope Capcom takes a serious look at TEW. They might learn a thing or two about true survival horror and how it is, in fact, profitable. I have a feeling once this comes out, it's going to kick modern RE in the ass.
Cyberote

Postby skytrot » Apr 20, 2013 5:23 pm

Cyberote wrote:I hope Capcom takes a serious look at TEW. They might learn a thing or two about true survival horror and how it is, in fact, profitable. I have a feeling once this comes out, it's going to kick modern RE in the ass.

As much as I love Shinji Mikami and want this game to be a hit both critically and financially, I think Capcom are right. Browsing through the interwebs and just seeing the reception this game is getting is pretty disheartening to say the least. It pains me to say this but It is highly unlikely that this game will outsell RE5 or 6 and might infact be a commercial flop because the budget given to Mikami and co. is far more then what he has been used to working with in his previous projects. This game just might suffer the same fate as Okami.

I'd very much like to be proven wrong though.
skytrot

Postby Mr. Sean » Apr 20, 2013 5:50 pm

skytrot wrote:As much as I love Shinji Mikami and want this game to be a hit both critically and financially, I think Capcom are right. Browsing through the interwebs and just seeing the reception this game is getting is pretty disheartening to say the least. It pains me to say this but It is highly unlikely that this game will outsell RE5 or 6 and might infact be a commercial flop because the budget given to Mikami and co. is far more then what he has been used to working with in his previous projects. This game just might suffer the same fate as Okami.

Hello all.

The game is getting a bad first reception because gamers are the most fickle group of people in existence. When Mikami said he wanted a blend of action and horror, people automatically assume he was going for the Call of Duty audience, completely forgetting that the original Resident Evils were, in fact, a blend of action and horror. Hell, it seems a lot of people are blaming this on the "delay" of the not even announced Fallout 4!
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Mr. Sean wrote:
skytrot wrote:As much as I love Shinji Mikami and want this game to be a hit both critically and financially, I think Capcom are right. Browsing through the interwebs and just seeing the reception this game is getting is pretty disheartening to say the least. It pains me to say this but It is highly unlikely that this game will outsell RE5 or 6 and might infact be a commercial flop because the budget given to Mikami and co. is far more then what he has been used to working with in his previous projects. This game just might suffer the same fate as Okami.

Hello all.

The game is getting a bad first reception because gamers are the most fickle group of people in existence. When Mikami said he wanted a blend of action and horror, people automatically assume he was going for the Call of Duty audience, completely forgetting that the original Resident Evils were, in fact, a blend of action and horror. Hell, it seems a lot of people are blaming this on the "delay" of the not even announced Fallout 4!

Just yesterday I had a frustrating argument with a guy who insists this is gonna be an action game because it has shooting. Like you said, its true that even the old RE, which coined the "Survival Horror" term, have a lot of action. In fact, action is the main element of the game.

Regardless, while purely anecdotal, I actually think the game got a pretty good reception, a lot of people are excited about this in the sites/forums I frequent. I'm not worried about the sales, since Bethesda's marketing is second to none. If they can make a first person stealth new IP succeed, they won't have a problem with a TPS horror, I reckon.

/Off Topic.

Regarding enemy encounters, Dusk Golem wrote a great speculative piece on the game here, he mentioned something I really found interesting. It would support the statement from the Gematsu translation about "Enemies with puzzles"... Regarding the "Safe Head":

But, assuming for a second that this monster isn’t invincible, what would its weak point be? My personal theory is that those two ‘Barb-Wire’ segments that are keeping the vault shut can be shot off, which results in, similarly seen in the teaser trailer, releasing a series of tentacles from the Vault, which would likely be this monster’s weak-point.

While this is speculation, I would love if this came true. Mikami's enemies are always carefully designed and constructed with many ways to dispose of them, his last game, Vanquish, is full of such enemies (Like Romanov).
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak