The Evil Within/Physcobreak observations

(Discuss the game)

The Evil Within/Physcobreak observations

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Apr 21, 2013 11:24 am

Here are my observations so far about the game:

-Reeks of a nightmarish atmosphere

-possibly a HUD-less display

-Detective Seabastan has a coat at what seems to be the beginning of the game Image
and loses the coat later on in the game Image, like Leon in Resident Evil 4

Any other observations to list?
ProgenitorCastle

Re: The Evil Within/Physcobreak observations

Postby Yama » Apr 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Nice find in regards to the coat homage, lots of smaller nods to Mikami's Biohazard titles. Love it.

I'm hoping the game has no HUD, which leads me to another question... though it's best suited for another topic.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 21, 2013 1:57 pm

I don't think Bethesda ever showed HUDs in their games screenshots. a HUD doesn't bother me much, as long as it doesn't cover half of the screen. :p

As for Sebastian, maybe he is the one checking out the police car?
Rikitatsu

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Apr 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Hmm...looking at the two images, the man checking the car looks like him without the coat. The other man could well be his partner.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby zombz » Apr 21, 2013 6:07 pm

This man is not that coat in the teaser? he looks like a monster!

Teaser: https://vine.co/v/bFldAQgTIr6
zombz
Zombz

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Yama » Apr 21, 2013 7:44 pm

ProgenitorCastle wrote:Hmm...looking at the two images, the man checking the car looks like him without the coat. The other man could well be his partner.

You're right, the one by the car is almost definitely Sebastian.

zombz wrote:This man is not that coat in the teaser? he looks like a monster!

Teaser: https://vine.co/v/bFldAQgTIr6

Coat man to be first on the death toll? :lol:
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Agent Wong » Apr 23, 2013 9:33 pm

As I was saying over at the 'haze, the trailer looks like it borrows heavily from other materials. The few enemies sampled (minus the bloody 4 armed womanthing) remind me of 13 Ghosts and a bit of the Executioner (ducks flying objects). Just my opinion though. The air surrounding this game though still is filling me with excitement for a proper return to survival horror. I do hope that he (Mikami) doesn't misuse overwhelming gore to try and achieve this. Most of the best and scariest films use little to no gore and succeed tremendously is scaring the hair off your head, see the original Halloween and Jaws to name a couple. Halloween had almost zero blood in it and Jaws, while you knew what was below the surface you didn't get to actually see it until nearly half of the way through the movie. I just want to see this game succeed as it deserves to and for the right reasons.
Agent Wong

Postby Mr. Sean » Apr 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Agent Wong wrote:As I was saying over at the 'haze, the trailer looks like it borrows heavily from other materials. The few enemies sampled (minus the bloody 4 armed womanthing) remind me of 13 Ghosts and a bit of the Executioner (ducks flying objects). Just my opinion though. The air surrounding this game though still is filling me with excitement for a proper return to survival horror. I do hope that he (Mikami) doesn't misuse overwhelming gore to try and achieve this. Most of the best and scariest films use little to no gore and succeed tremendously is scaring the hair off your head, see the original Halloween and Jaws to name a couple. Halloween had almost zero blood in it and Jaws, while you knew what was below the surface you didn't get to actually see it until nearly half of the way through the movie. I just want to see this game succeed as it deserves to and for the right reasons.

Add to the asylum escape scene being described as very Jacob's Ladder like and the end of the cabin sequence being ripped from The Shining. They are making lots of references to a lot of horror movies but its not a bad thing. Mass Effect made lots of very obvious references to a lot of famous sci-fi series and it worked out pretty well.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby Yama » Apr 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Yeah, references don't worry me any. They are just small nods, nothing directing the actual design.

OT: When you refer to 13 Ghosts, do you mean the original? I've never seen it, only the 2001 version that my friend kept pushing me to see. Long story short, I hated it. Wondering if the original is that much better or something.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Agent Wong » Apr 24, 2013 2:15 am

The 2001. I wasn't aware that it was a refilm of a previous movie. While I liked the premise of the movie they went way to heavy on the shock value of some of the ghosts and the gore was over the top. Maybe I'll have to take a look at finding the original and see how it was done.
Agent Wong

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak